Nice safe Squishy! I've got a liberty Lincoln. Looks like you went with the mechanical lock like I did.

I love mine. Good luck with it my friend.

P.S. If you want to fill it up quick get a C&R. SKS, P38 and CZ82 in rapid succession filled a few holes.

Actually I seriously considered a Lincoln. I like the ball bearing hard plate, the 5 point handle and the 90 minute fire rating but I had to draw a line and got the Franklin. I'm sure I'll fill it up in time but the next money I spend is going to be on training.

My friend and coworker was robbed while he was at a softball game. The thieves stole 2 high end AR's, and 16 pistols including an engraved colt .45 that was presented to him by his now deceased former commanding officer. Should they have been locked in a safe? Yes. But these shitbags were in and out fast and knew exactly where he kept his firearms.

This why I spent what some might consider an excessive amount of money on a safe. I don't have a lot but loosing what I've worked for and put together from scratch would take a long time to get over. It's a good feeling to know my stuff is reasonably secure.

Went and looked at the Winchester I was curious about today.

WinchesterSAFE_zps1601cf40.jpg

Nice tough safe but not the same as my older USA Winchester.

They had Cannon safes there too. Saw a Made in Mexico sticker on one of them. The metal was thinner and you could see welds if looked closely. My big grinders and metal saws would do a job on them with some effort.

Beginning to look like my budget will have to go beyond 1K unless I find a good deal shipped.

You might want to check with some of the Liberty reps in your area. I got mine from a Liberty rep close to me as a reconditioned safe. He said he recieves ones all the time that get locked during shipping for many different reasons. Most of the time they are shipped with the paper work including the combo on the inside. He drills out the lock and replaces it with a new one. I picked up a new Liberty with a new S&G lock 24 gun safe for a little over 500 bucks delivered..which work out great since its right around 500 lbs..This was 5 or so years ago when they were all made in the USA and I have never had an issue.

Yes I have...I have really started to notice more when my sons were born. My oldest is seven now...Hell I can't get over the fact we can't pack a PB&J sandwich in his lunch for school. I would starve to death if I had to grow up again. I understand why we can't but its like you said different. I had to have the drug talk with him last week. I always thought that it would be because he was exposed to it. Thats when I got the talk. But it wasn't that at all...he couldn't understand why A Rod was getting suspended. ..

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 1

Often dealers have good deals on "trade ups", people outgrow their safes and instead of buying safe #2, they just get a bigger one and trade in the older, perfectly good safe.

Hey Squishy, new avatar is much easier on the eyes! :)

After moving things around once again I should be able to jam a pistol grip Mossy in the existing safe.

Went to the Lowes closest to me in the next town and there were no safes on display...only online order. The guy said the time of the year they get some in and on sale is Black Friday. Guess I will be patient and keep looking for a good deal/sale.

No one likes AMSEC? AMERICAN MADE. 60 years. Best on the market. (in my opinion) No offense, but I sure wouldn't buy any gun safe that Lowe's or Orschlens, or Home Depot has on sale. Cheap shit. Watch the you tube videos. AMSEC.com is the way to go. American Security.

• 2 weeks later...

Bass Pro has Stack on metal safes on sale for $149 .I bolt this into a closet works great. I need another for all the ammo sitting around my office. Looks like the wife and I will get one tonight. Last time we got the safe and she bought a Colt Mustang Carry Lite.

All my guns are insured so its no big deal .

What you can get for $150 is not a safe. It's a locking metal cabinet. Years ago I had one of those and the key lock broke. Fortunately it was easy to pop the door open.

The bottom line for safes is around $400 and that's barely more than a cabinet, with no fire protection.

Bottom line is I know someone can chain this 500lb+ box to a tractor or big truck and drag it right out my big window with floor boards attached. Time in a real shop will let a determined individual into many many safes.

I'm happy about having another safe environment for my collection to grow. Most tweakers/thieves out here will pass on safe intrusion. Smash and grab is the norm.

Can't remember if I posted this before, but those of you with Liberty or others using the S&G key pad style-some are prone to have a failure to retract the drop mechanism which could leave you in need of having to get your safe drilled to get it open. Liberty has very good customer service and I think they have since changed over to a swing lock mechanism. Read up or call if in doubt. The lock can be changed over in less than an hour. Good quality safes with occasional deals at their outlet stores or on sale at Cabellas under their name.

My current safe and the one I ordered doesn't have any little button on the door like that. Kind of hard to believe honestly. If I ever see those safes when I'm out and about I will have to look and see if it is for real.

Reminds me of power door locks on cars...all you have to do with the coat hanger is hit the button on the armrest and you're in. Too easy. Interesting vid.

^ Make sure u bolt it down...you would be amazed how easy any safe is to get open when its on its back.

Very nice!

Thanks, I do plan to bolt it down but I'll have to rent a drill. The drill I have won't go through the slab I don't think. I won't say the door can't be pried open but with 6 bolts each on the inside and outside of the door and anti-pry tabs it will be a job and take a considerable amount of time.

attachicon.gifantipry-tabs.jpg

It will make your head spin. I could have that exact safe open in under one minute with a sledge and a rock bar if I were able to get it on it's back. It's a good idea to place your safe in an area that a theif can't get a tool in a position to give them a mechanical advantage to tip it over. They will try to even when it's bolted to the floor. If they can't get an angle on it, they will move on to all the other fun stuff in your house.

I see that you have a 100lb weight on the door. Plastic shims will level your safe so that you can open the door with one finger and close it with the same effort. My friend sells and installs them for a living. He uses a level on the door and examines the bubble as the door swings open.

If I lived in a more remote location where thieves could spend a considerable amount of time working on the safe without detection I'd probably do a few things differently. Where I am now, good neighborhood, good neighbors and it's located in front of the house closest to the street, I can't imagine thieves taking that much time but I guess anything is possible. I have it in a corner and once bolted down I think it would take quite a bit to get it loose and on it's back.

As for the 100lb. plate, it happened to be handy, it doesn't take that much to hold the door open and when I'm between the door and the safe I have no problem putting stuff in and/or taking stuff out. I'll see how she hangs once bolted down.

• 4 weeks later...

Lagged to the floor and stacking inside the best I can for now.  Will make two more shelves, a long and short soon.  Not the same as older Winchester safe.  Will do the job for our common smash and grabs.

It's a new experience going between two safes.  Currently shopping for Mossy 500 pistol grip only.  Double barrel and lever actions in the future hopefully.

S2_1_zpsdb96ee79.jpg

S2_2_zps97b3847c.jpg

• Like 1

Lagged to the floor and stacking inside the best I can for now.  Will make two more shelves, a long and short soon.  Not the same as older Winchester safe.  Will do the job for our common smash and grabs.

It's a new experience going between two safes.  Currently shopping for Mossy 500 pistol grip only.  Double barrel and lever actions in the future hopefully.

S2_1_zpsdb96ee79.jpg

S2_2_zps97b3847c.jpg

You need more ammo........and guns.000.gif