Tightening up the barrel lock up in the slide?

Whats up guys need to learn more about this.

A guy I bought ammo from recommended this smith named Bill Springfield.

Saying this guy could do good work on my FNX Tactical.

I emailed him and this is basically what he had to say.

"I can drop the SA pull to around 3.5# and have a super crisp break. I also tighten up the barrel lock up in the slide which will close your groups up around 20%"

Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this is a safe thing to do for my handgun? Also does this void warranty?

Thanks.

By making the tolerances closer, the way they fit while in battery should be more consistent shot to shot, potentially increasing accuracy but also decreasing debris-related reliability. That's the theory behind it, anyway. I don't know about FNs, but match barrels for Glocks and XDs usually have to be fitted at the top, front edge of the chamber area and the bottom of the feed ramp.

By making the tolerances closer, the way they fit while in battery should be more consistent shot to shot, potentially increasing accuracy but also decreasing debris-related reliability. That's the theory behind it, anyway. I don't know about FNs, but match barrels for Glocks and XDs usually have to be fitted at the top, front edge of the chamber area and the bottom of the feed ramp.

Right on! But I think he is being given some BS because I do not think FN's have that problem

So you guys are saying accordance with FN's current specs for the FNX Tactical to not get this done?

Dont get me wrong Id love to buy more ammo but a chance to get a more custom pistol is always appealing to me.

I main concern was this creating too tight of a tolerance that something could eventually crack or break.

Anyone know if it would affect warranty?

Not trying to advertise nothing on here but here is the guy I was talking to who said he could do this.

http://www.triggerwork.net/

Maybe some of you might know him. But I will listen to your advice MT on this one and not do this.

Thats what this forum is all about getting help and advice when needed. Thanks guys

that gun should be capable of 3 inch groups easily st 100 yards, that is as accurate as any other service pistol, so save that money and go buy ammo and practice, thats what I would do.

3" at 100 yards, that's almost impossible for any handgun. Maybe you meant 3" group at 50yards and that would be pushing it. Only high end bullseye pistols can shoot 3" or less at 50yards.

that gun should be capable of 3 inch groups easily st 100 yards, that is as accurate as any other service pistol, so save that money and go buy ammo and practice, thats what I would do.

3" at 100 yards, that's almost impossible for any handgun. Maybe you meant 3" group at 50yards and that would be pushing it. Only high end bullseye pistols can shoot 3" or less at 50yards.
sorry meant 25 yards dont know why I put 100, hell 3 inches at 50 is pushing it. Still hitting a man sized target at 100 yards with a service handgun is definitely achievable.

that being said a good trigger does help, the apex kit in my M&P 45c has definitely promoted better accuracy in my hands because of the crisp smooth take up and a nice break. The stock trigger on my pistol was less than junk when I got it. The single action on the fn is good to go out of the box in my opinion, just not a fan of double action. Always remember tighter usually never means reliable.

Edited by dashowdy
  • Like 1

@ jerry-nope it retains the factory striker spring, it just changes the angle of the sear to give you a much cleaner and a couple of pounds lighter break. the new striker block takes all the grit out which I would say is the biggest improvement. I can shoot my dads stock m&p almost as good but a heck of alot slower because of the 8 pound spongey break and the total lack of reset feel.

The tightest group I know of out of a service pistol was 3/4 to 1 inch at 50 yards off a fixed rest from a sig 220 special edition, think it was the 220 elite, but I remember the advert claiming better than 1 inch at 50,. Minute of man is always accurate enough anything beyond that with the same reliability is gravy.

@voltia- it is fun slapping steel at distance with a pistol, you just gotta know your holdover with the 45 acp because it is dropping like 12 inches at 100 yards with a standard pressure 230 ball ammo. My 200 gr. reloads dont hit quite as low but still have some drop.

Edited by dashowdy