Marine Corps Hones Moving Target Shooting Skills

GUYS,

SENT TO A FRIEND AT QUANTICO.

JESS1344

xxxxxx,

THE REASON THESE GUYS FROM TBS LIKED THIS, AND GOT THE HIGH HIT RATE I'M SURE THEY ENJOYED, WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE ORIGINALLY SCHOOLED IN BASIC MARKSMANSHIP FUNDAMENTALS, IE, THE KD COURSE, WHICH LAYS THE FOUNDATION UPON WHICH THESE NEW MOVING TARGET SKILLS ARE ADDED.

I'M BETTING THAT IF THE KD COURSE WERE FORESHORTENED, OR ELIMINATED, AND THIS SUBSTITUTED FROM ORIGINAL QUAL IN BOOT CAMP, AND ONWARDS, THE HIT RESULTS WOULD BE MUCH LOWER, DUE TO THE LACK OF THE FULL BASIC MARKSMANSHIP FUNDAMENTALS AND ITS RESULTANT SOLID FOUNDATION.

IF I WERE KING, I WOULD KEEP NEW MARINES TO THE KD COURSE IN BOOT, AND THEIR FIRST QUAL IN THE FMF, LAYING THE ABOVE CITED FOUNDATION.

I WOULD THEN ADD THE MOVING TARGET COURSE ON THE END OF THEIR THIRD KD COURSE, IE, THREE WEEKS TOTAL FOR THE ANNUAL QUAL; WEEK ONE: MARKSMANSHIP CLASSES AND SNAP-IN, WEEK TWO: KD COURSE, WEEK THREE: MOVING TARGET COURSE.

KNOWING THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION ON THE GROUND, HAVING BEEN-THERE/DONE-THAT, I KNOW THAT THE POWERS THAT BE, IN REALITY, ONLY PAY LIP-SERVICE TO THE SUBJECT OF MARKSMANSHIP.

ONLY THE LONG SUFFERING, DEDICATED, WOODPECKER LIPS HARD, SHOOTING COMMUNITY TRULY CARES.

A MORE REALISTIC COMPROMISE WOULD BE TO MAKE "THE RANGE" A THREE WEEK EVENT FROM BOOT CAMP ONWARDS.

IF THAT EXTENDS BOOT BY ANOTHER WEEK, SO-BE-IT, IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN.

"THE MORE YOU SWEAT ON THE RANGE, THE MORE ENEMY BLOOD YOU WILL SPILL ON THE BATTLEFIELD"

YOU MAY USE THAT, WITH ATTRIBUTION.

AND NO FRIGGIN' PENCIL-NECKED-GEEK AT HQMC SHOULD FIGURE SOME WAY TO WHITTLE AWAY A WEEK OF BOOT CAMP TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE ADDED WEEK AT THE RANGE EITHER.

ONE ADVANTAGE OF AGE, IS THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE MISTAKES AND MISSTEPS WHEN THEY ARISE FROM THE GRAVE.

I SEEM TO RECALL THAT THE ARMY DROPPED THEIR VERSION OF THE KD COURSE DURING VIETNAM, SUBSTITUTING THEIR "QUICK KILL" COURSE.

THIS HAD A LOT TO DO WITH THE ESTIMATED 2500 ROUNDS EXPENDED PER KILL IN VIETNAM.

EVERY TIME THIS "QUICK KILL"/"MOVING TARGET" COURSE HAS BEEN RESURRECTED SINCE, AND SUBSTITUTED IN WHOLE, OR IN PART FOR THE KD COURSE, IN WHATEVER BRANCH OF THE MILITARY, THE END RESULT, INEVITABLY, HAS BEEN A LOWER ROUND COUNT ON TARGET.

THE MOVING TARGET COURSE, SHOULD BE IN ADDITION TO, NOT A POOR SUBSTITUTE, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR THE KD COURSE.

ONLY HITS COUNT!

JESS

Kids these days are pussies. They don't hunt, fish, camp, work or have much of an education. They need all the "from scratch" training they can get.

No study has been done on the type of people the Marines got vs. the Army Infantry in Nam. My bet is that the Marines had far more deer hunters.

Training a pussy is very expensive. It takes more time and the kinder, more gentile Army and society will have to deal with it. If you want to restrict weapons, promote consumerism instead of work ethic, dumb down students for a voter base and give hunting a bad name, you will have pussies and your army will suffer.

Have the pencil neck jeek bean counters taken over?  I am thinking here that if they spent a couple weeks longer training and used up even 5000 more rounds of ammo per recuit, would it not be cheaper in the long run to have all combat destined solders learn these advanced shooting skills.....before they see combat?   The alternative is a higher death and wounded toll?  And...how much does THAT $COST$? HB.

In my old unit, non-gun owners barely qualify, gun owners shoot sharpshooter, and hunters score high sharpshooter to expert.

Any better reason why all military personnel should own their own rifle! (in line with US vs. Miller)

Another reason there should be a tax break for soldiers towards the purchase of 200 rounds of rifle ammo per year.

Both would go far in increasing marksmanship. 

Kids these days are pussies. They don't hunt, fish, camp, work or have much of an education. They need all the "from scratch" training they can get.

No study has been done on the type of people the Marines got vs. the Army Infantry in Nam. My bet is that the Marines had far more deer hunters.

Training a pussy is very expensive. It takes more time and the kinder, more gentile Army and society will have to deal with it. If you want to restrict weapons, promote consumerism instead of work ethic, dumb down students for a voter base and give hunting a bad name, you will have pussies and your army will suffer.

Last time I looked boot camp was always "from scratch training" and always expensive. I am not sure what you meant about the Marines vs the Army in Nam deer hunter thing. Some of the best snipers out there never shot a gun until it was handed to them.

In my old unit, non-gun owners barely qualify, gun owners shoot sharpshooter, and hunters score high sharpshooter to expert.

Any better reason why all military personnel should own their own rifle! (in line with US vs. Miller)

Another reason there should be a tax break for soldiers towards the purchase of 200 rounds of rifle ammo per year.

I conducted a shit ton of marksmanship training during my time in from the M82A1 Barrett to the M4.  Usually, the non shooters score excellent as they do not have bad shooting habits to break.  If the shooter is experienced and disciplined, they shoot good too.  The experienced ones with the egos needing stroked are usually the worst.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 2

In aviation, everyone would rather fly than shoot.  Only one non-gun owner in the unit shot expert.  He was a pilot back in Nam and had his ride shot out from under him.  And with a .38 revolver, and on the run from the VC, you've got to make every shot count! 

But most of the experts were from the old school marksmanship training.  There were only 2 younger guys that shot expert, and I was one.  But give the non-gun owners extra ammo to practice before shooting qualification the next day, and there was a marked difference in scores, and no reshoots!

I'm surprised they can't. There are several in my department that write off weapons and ammunition as training. I'm going to look into it this year but maybe Yeoldtool knows more about that. I'm not sure if its limited to department firearms.

In aviation, everyone would rather fly than shoot.  Only one non-gun owner in the unit shot expert.  He was a pilot back in Nam and had his ride shot out from under him.  And with a .38 revolver, and on the run from the VC, you've got to make every shot count! 

But most of the experts were from the old school marksmanship training.  There were only 2 younger guys that shot expert, and I was one.  But give the non-gun owners extra ammo to practice before shooting qualification the next day, and there was a marked difference in scores, and no reshoots!

Then you would qualify as an experienced shooter/hunter with discipline. The other "experienced" loud mouths I had the opportunity to train were either full of shit or had bad shooting habits. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. Training is key. If you take someone with no experience, teach them the fundamentals, coach them the fundamentals while firing, the results are surprising. Way easier to train a newbie than try to retrain and break bad habits of a shitty shooter IMO.
  • Like 1