Introduction & Proposal: Want to shoot tomorrow? (SE PA)

Hi, everyone.  I'm new to the forum and my name is Ken.  I'm 26, live in PA 30 mins outside of Philadelphia, have a wide variety of interests, have educated myself on firearms quite a bit for someone who hasn't shot very many times, and love the AK platform.  

I've had several guns in the past and somewhat recently picked up a Saiga Sporter 7.62x39.  I have the (essential) parts to do a conversion and am very excited.  However, I still haven't been able to shoot it because I don't currently have a car to get to an outdoor range.  So, I'd like to go shooting somewhere, ideally tomorrow, since I don't have to work (late notice, I know).  There is a public range at French Creek State Park - if someone is willing to pick me up and drive there, I will buy the $30 online printable range permit which also allows me to bring one guest at no additional charge.  (They have 10-100 yd targets, 2-25/50 yd targets for pistols, and several benches.) I live about 30 mins (15 miles) east of the range and am willing to go to a different one if you have a better idea.  Although I've had plenty of time to educate myself, I still haven't shot an AK platform rifle! Just shoot me a message and/or reply so I can change that!  Thanks!
-Ken  

Yup, welcome. :)

Look up local shooting ranges in your area.

Call them. Tell them your story. Many would be happy to give you a ride to the range.

I know I would, if I was closer.

There is nothing wrong with asking for a ride to go shooting.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

The range at French Creek is still open. I don't know if I'd be there on a weekend or not due to the crowds.

As far as 922r, that's federal.  There isn't any sort of mag cap laws in place for PA. The range he is talking about though will probably have a 3 round rule, no rapid fire and paper targets only.

Is it the one you have to drive up a huge gravel hill? If its the one Im thinking off then its a turd of a range. Last time I was there 1/2 of it was closed and overgrown and too many imbiciles shooting. Im 10min outside of Philly but I tend to go up to the one in Jim Thorpe. Much bigger, up to 250 yards, much nicer and less dumbasses.

If I were closer, I'd work something out Ken.  Unfortunately, I am quite distant.

I bet you will find someone soon, but I wouldnt expect "tomorrow".  Just too short a notice, without a serious amount of luck.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on for about a week...

I'm not versed on Pennsylvania gun laws but in any case it's always good to follow all state and local laws pertaining to firearms such as being 922r compliant, magazine capacity and transportation. Be safe and have fun!big_smile.gif

Thanks, Corruptz0rz. I've become familiar with the gun laws of my state.  I haven't yet modified my Saiga. I'll be doing it all at once (or, rather, a gunsmith since I don't have a vise or most of the other tools) to remain 922r compliant.

"State Park" is not a national park. State governments are not affected by the shutdown.

This is correct.  I discussed this with someone the next day and they reminded me of the fact that Federal is what is affected and French Creek is State.  Thank you.

The range at French Creek is still open. I don't know if I'd be there on a weekend or not due to the crowds.

As far as 922r, that's federal.  There isn't any sort of mag cap laws in place for PA. The range he is talking about though will probably have a 3 round rule, no rapid fire and paper targets only.

Yes, I reviewed the policies of this range and that is correct.  Only 3 rounds loaded at a time, paper targets, etc.  Weekends are more than likely quite crowded.

Is it the one you have to drive up a huge gravel hill? If its the one Im thinking off then its a turd of a range. Last time I was there 1/2 of it was closed and overgrown and too many imbiciles shooting. Im 10min outside of Philly but I tend to go up to the one in Jim Thorpe. Much bigger, up to 250 yards, much nicer and less dumbasses.

Although I have not yet been there, someone who has told me it is somewhat obscured and a long gravel trail must be driven to reach it.  Yes, I've heard negative things about some people who attend and how it can be somewhat crowded.  The Jim Thorpe one sounds nicer.  

I'm just very limited with the lack of access to a vehicle.  I've got 3 guns here that I've had for varying lengths of time and have not shot one of them once.  It's a little frustrating.  (I've had a few others and have shot them several times in the past...just not the ones I have now.) I want to at least express that I'm not uneducated on firearm handling, shooting, safety, etc.  

I guess a general update to this thread/topic would be that if there's someone in my area that would like to go to a range sometime and they're willing to pick me up at my home minutes from Audubon, PA, feel free to reply or shoot me a message.  I'm willing to go to an outdoor or an indoor as I have my Saiga and a couple handguns.  Thanks.

First of all, welcome to the forum! We need more active owners!

Second of all, since I didn't notice anyone else Buzz Killington-ing this thread...

....if you don't have a car, you shouldn't be investing in firearms.

If you need some help locating a CHEAP car that is easy to work on with affordable parts and simple tools, I can help you.

As far as shooting with you, you're too far away... But, maybe someday! :)

--------

Again, good luck and welcome to the forum!!!

First of all, welcome to the forum! We need more active owners!

Second of all, since I didn't notice anyone else Buzz Killington-ing this thread...

....if you don't have a car, you shouldn't be investing in firearms.

If you need some help locating a CHEAP car that is easy to work on with affordable parts and simple tools, I can help you.

As far as shooting with you, you're too far away... But, maybe someday! smile.png

--------

Again, good luck and welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for the welcome. But like anyone else, I choose how to spend my money.  You can say "should" or "shouldn't" about whatever you want, but I decide.  I could say a lot more, but I'll leave that there.  What brought on the Buzz Killington reference? 

Edit (addition):  I also have extensive car knowledge and my dad is a mechanic of over 40 years with plenty of wholesale connections.  So, thanks for the offer, but I'll be fine.  I've been enjoying biking and its health benefits as well as its lack of high maintenance costs. (parts, fuel, insurance, etc) 

Good Luck, Ken!  If I were close I'd be happy to pick you up.  I assume someone will.  

Have you tried your state's own 2A forums?

Thanks, Remek.  I appreciate that.  I have not yet tried 2A, but may.  I may just wait until I can borrow a car from someone I know.  It's not a huge deal.

Edited by Ken762by39
Thanks for the welcome. But like anyone else, I choose how to spend my money.  You can say "should" or "shouldn't" about whatever you want, but I decide.  I could say a lot more, but I'll leave that there.  What brought on the Buzz Killington reference? 

Edit (addition):  I also have extensive car knowledge and my dad is a mechanic of over 40 years with plenty of wholesale connections.  So, thanks for the offer, but I'll be fine.  I've been enjoying biking and its health benefits as well as its lack of high maintenance costs. (parts, fuel, insurance, et

You're quite welcome!

Fair enough... But I'm not the guy asking for a ride to the range... what.gif

The Buzz Killington reference was because what I said was clearly going to be a buzz kill vs going out and having fun with guns. If you didn't take it that way, then all the better. I was just offering my unsolicited opinion and I think you took it very much like a gentleman.

If biking is your way to go where you're going, maybe some options for a nice backpack rig are in order? I also enjoy cycling as a past time, but my bike goes to the park in the back of my truck. I don't use it as legit transportation.

• Like 1

Edit (addition):  I also have extensive car knowledge and my dad is a mechanic of over 40 years with plenty of wholesale connections.  So, thanks for the offer, but I'll be fine.  I've been enjoying biking and its health benefits as well as its lack of high maintenance costs. (parts, fuel, insurance, et

"You're quite welcome!

Fair enough... But I'm not the guy asking for a ride to the range... what.gif"

Right. I was asking for a ride to the range. Not financial advice.

The Buzz Killington reference was because what I said was clearly going to be a buzz kill vs going out and having fun with guns. If you didn't take it that way, then all the better. I was just offering my unsolicited opinion and I think you took it very much like a gentleman.

If biking is your way to go where you're going, maybe some options for a nice backpack rig are in order? I also enjoy cycling as a past time, but my bike goes to the park in the back of my truck. I don't use it as legit transportation.

It's not a buzz kill because I will get to the range regularly somehow.  I am a gentleman until someone rubs me the wrong way. (i.e., You and now.) So, you can stop wasting my time with your unsolicited advice and opinions.  I neither want nor need them. Nor do I respect your arrogant commentary.  You know next to nothing about me and are presumptuous and rude. I'm glad you cycle as a past time - again, unsolicited information.  Also, congratulations on the truck. Share your hobbies and garage contents with someone who cares.

Also, if anyone (other than Maxwelhse) would like to tell me what the profane language policies are in this forum, I'd like to edit my reply.

Edited by Ken762by39

Well, that was a quite dickish response after I complemented you being cool to what I later thought might have been harsh reaction...

Enjoy your hitch hiking, ass!

At the very least, if you're going to pick a fight with me after I complimented you, learn how to use the quote feature.

----------

I said all of that because I felt I needed to... Here's something else I need to say:

I'm not looking to create life long enemies here, so I will once again extend the olive branch, apologize for my actions and statements (seriously.. SORRY!)

I wasn't trying to piss you off, which I thought was clear by offering up the bait for some others to comment about how to transport a Saiga on a bike (which was honestly a legit idea and no one has ever asked that before that I remember.. I've heard of someone wanting to take one on the bus, but never a bike).

Anyhow... I'm sorry that I rubbed you wrong. If you can't accept my apology, then I'll live. If you can, then that's even better! smile.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 3

Well, that was a quite dickish response after I complemented you being cool to what I later thought might have been harsh reaction...

Enjoy your hitch hiking, ass!

At the very least, if you're going to pick a fight with me after I complimented you, learn how to use the quote feature.

----------

I said all of that because I felt I needed to... Here's something else I need to say:

I'm not looking to create life long enemies here, so I will once again extend the olive branch, apologize for my actions and statements (seriously.. SORRY!)

I wasn't trying to piss you off, which I thought was clear by offering up the bait for some others to comment about how to transport a Saiga on a bike (which was honestly a legit idea and no one has ever asked that before that I remember.. I've heard of someone wanting to take one on the bus, but never a bike).

Anyhow... I'm sorry that I rubbed you wrong. If you can't accept my apology, then I'll live. If you can, then that's even better! smile.png

You were a dick first and I responded in kind.  I'm in a hard financial spot.  I chose to reach out for a simple ride if anyone happened to be local and you chose to respond the way you did.  I don't hitchhike. I work, ride my bike, and take public transportation.  I make due with what I currently have.  Quote features don't work identically across all forums and I'm new to this one.  That's why I edited your text to a larger font in order to distinguish to others who had said what.  I already created a way to transport my Saiga on my bike.  I did so before I went to buy it and that's how I got it home.  I'm surprised you have over 1900 posts with the way you speak. 

Sorry isn't a magic word.  Your multiple unprovoked condescending remarks, name-calling, et cetera are more than enough of a show of your character.  Your apology is not accepted so consider me an enemy.  But I wouldn't assume it will be lifelong as this is a poor experience for someone just starting in and exploring a forum.  I'm not sure I really have the desire to invest anymore time in here if, in my introductory thread, I'm provoked and spoken to in such a way.  

Maxwelhse, I have always enjoyed your unsolicited advice and opinions.  I noticed the absence of your posts for sometime.  Welcome back!

Thanks HPD, but I'm not going for a popularity contest here. ;)

I really do want to help the community and members and DO NOT want to piss people off. We've got enough external fights without drawing knives on each other. I really hope that Ken and I can patch things up. This is a terrible start to his voyage into our community and it's all my fault at the moment. Clearly, I didn't put my best foot forward.

You were a dick first and I responded in kind.  I'm in a hard financial spot.  I chose to reach out for a simple ride if anyone happened to be local and you chose to respond the way you did.  I don't hitchhike. I work, ride my bike, and take public transportation.  I make due with what I currently have.  Quote features don't work identically across all forums and I'm new to this one.  That's why I edited your text to a larger font in order to distinguish to others who had said what.  I already created a way to transport my Saiga on my bike.  I did so before I went to buy it and that's how I got it home.  I'm surprised you have over 1900 posts with the way you speak. 

Sorry isn't a magic word.  Your multiple unprovoked condescending remarks, name-calling, et cetera are more than enough of a show of your character.  Your apology is not accepted so consider me an enemy.  But I wouldn't assume it will be lifelong as this is a poor experience for someone just starting in and exploring a forum.  I'm not sure I really have the desire to invest anymore time in here if, in my introductory thread, I'm provoked and spoken to in such a way.  

Ken, they'll let just about any asshole post 1900 posts on here (many would argue the merit of that post count, which isn't something I "try" to increase... depends on who you ask I suppose) I've been scolded before for doing wrong and I may be scolding again for the same. Each time I've learned something. If you want to scold me again, that's cool...

If you want to handle it this way, then handle it that way. I apologized and I still am offering that apology for coming off as a dick initially... I admitted the error of my ways and have asked you to look beyond it.

I also offered you help, which somehow you completely overlooked and acted like I was handing you a dollar on the street. If you want to change your situation as my initial assumption implied, which you just backed up with your comments about being in a financial hard spot, seems somewhat accurate. If you would like a car that is affordable to own (the last I purchased was $600 and its been going for 50k miles @ 34 MPG) I would be delighted to make recommendations and find things in your area.... Why? Because over the past few years I have come to the conclusion that we really are a brotherhood around here. If I have it and you need it, it's yours. I believe that is how we all do it here and I've seen members fall over themselves to help each other time and time again.

It appears that neither of us are the type to simply back down from something (which is really good). That said, I'm asking to shake hands and start over, one last time. If that's not good enough, then write me off as a dick and continue on and I will do the same.

Maxwelhse, you strike me as the kind of person who would verbally and physically abuse their children and then take them out for ice cream, convincing yourself you're a good person and expecting them to forgive and continue to love you.  I'm just waiting on a moderator to fulfill my request to delete my account or tell me how.  Enjoy having the last word. I'm done here and won't be reading it.

Maxwelhse, you strike me as the kind of person who would verbally and physically abuse their children and then take them out for ice cream, convincing yourself you're a good person and expecting them to forgive and continue to love you.

I can atone to Maxwelhse's character.  During the panic when I was out of a job and penniless Maxwelhse stepped up and purchased a year NRA membership for me.  I've never met the guy but yet he was still willing to reach out and help a brother for a good cause.  I wasn't the only one either.  He stepped up for numerous guys on this forum, none of which he personally knew.  For me these acts of kindness speak volumes about someone's character.  Insinuating he's an abusive parent when you know nothing about the guy other than a few posts clearly says more about you Ken then it does him.  Please, if your going to go then go.  You're also welcome to stick around but consider bringing your humor and some thicker skin.

This forum has been experiencing some misguided feelings lately,  What's that all about?     

• Like 1

Nope. Definitely seen some shill accounts banned faster. I'm sure one of the mods could give you an exact count.

This guy went from shady to full-on NOPE in half a dozen posts.

"Hi, I'm a complete stranger, can I get in your car with guns?"  <-- Not a great start. And it sure didn't go uphill from there...

• Like 1

That had all the markings of

wait for it

tinfoilhat.gif

SS

victory.gif