US Warsaw Stock - $40

US Gas Piston - $10

US FCG - $35

US Slant Brake - $10

Bulgarian Bayo - $20

Misc hardware - $20

--a little over $450 in all--

post-2093-1136185812_thumb.jpg

I was bored over Xmas break, so I tore the rifle apart. I drilled out the front rivets and removed the front trunion & barrel assembly. I then tapped the Romanian front trunion for #10-32. I had to grind a tap down flat to get the threads deeper. I then slid the Romy front end in the receiver & screwed it together.

post-2093-1136185922_thumb.jpg

I originally shortened the mag catch, but I had a catch in the kit so I put it on. Piece of cake. I spent 3 hours or so when I shortened the catch, but this only took an hour. I drilled the rivets out of the Romy catch and the Saiga receiver. I then screwed it together with #8-32 BHCS. (I used nuts inside the receiver)

I'm going to replace the furniture with all wood when the funds arise. My next step will be stripping it all down & painting. The Romanian parts are a dark grey and don't match the receiver to my liking. More pics to come.

I'm immensely confused too. The Saigas are made to higher quality than the Romies.

And YES Headspace is a major concern. I hope you're using the Romy bolt in the Romy barrel and trunion, and that all their numbers match.

I have to agree on having no idea why you'd do that instead of just building on a US receiver. Seems like a lot of value has just been wasted. Plus the fact that the Saiga is unsellable due to the removal of the trunion which has the serial number, if it's anything like the Saigas I have.

Sheesh, looks like I pissed off all the Saiga bluebloods! :haha: To each their own I guess. :rolleyes:

As far as quality, the kit is a 1980 vintage and the finish isn't 100%. I plan on re-doing that. As far as the FSB, GB & leaf sight alignment, it's better than the stock Saiga was. Bore looks fine and the headspace will be checked whenever I can get to the Gun Barn & borrow a set of gages. My other builds checked out fine - typical mil-spec AK, and I suspect the same for this one.

I'm using the Romy carrier, bolt, barrel & trun. (all matching #'s) Also the spring & dust cover.

Wasted value? Not to me. Unsellable? I don't plan on selling any of my guns, but I believe the serial # on the receiver is the controlling one. I've bought 2 U.S. receivers recently, and both were run on the receiver serial #'s. One was a plain receiver (no trunion) and the other was a preriveted where I had to press in the barrel.

well now that this thread has taken a dive... :blink:

Dinzag- It's your $$$$$ do what you like IT"S A FREE COUNTRY! If nothing else---nobody else has one!

G O B

("Who are you going to please with that little thing", she asked "ME" he answered.")

Moral of the story--If it pleases you fuck 'em!

Edited by G O B

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 4 2006, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dinzag- It's your $$$$$ do what you like IT"S A FREE COUNTRY! If nothing else---nobody else has one!

G O B

("Who are you going to please with that little thing", she asked "ME" he answered.")

Moral of the story--If it pleases you fuck 'em!

:lolol: My sentiments exactly...

Thanks man!

While I wouln't do to my Siaga what Dinzag did, it's HIS rifle and he can do whatever he wants with it.

I just hope we have a supply of 7.63x39 ammo available to use in our rifles. I don't want to go back to the days of collecting brass and reloading. I never reloaded 7.63x39 but we may be forced to if the ammo supply is dried up. The positive side to reloading is the cleaner US made powders won't leave a black soot all over the rifle as the Russian ammo does.

I'm not starving for ammo either.....yet. I've only got 2,000 rds of 7.62x39 on hand. While we will see bulk ammo again there will be a price increase. The questions are: when and how much?

Sounds kinda like the Saigas themselves dosen't it? Think there is some weird conspiracy the russkies are putting together?

Bump - new pics up

Got the Gun Kote slapped on & everything Loc-tited. Since I was o.k. on parts count I refinished the Romy furniture. Gotta get the carrier polished now & I think it's ready to go.

I'm very happy with the way the painting & refinishing came out.

Tell me what ya think...good or bad! ;):smoke:

post-2093-1136982212_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1136982223_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1136982231_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1136982238_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1136982245_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome bubbabrother! If it was mine I would change one thing. Put a laminated wood PG on there or go back to the bakelite one. If you need another compliance part swap the piston. It only takes a few minutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing those parts if that's what you want and the headspace is not a problem. You got the best of both worlds. A true Russian receiver with US FCG and all those evil goodies up front without having to undo and redo everything about it to get there. I'm in the process of converting my 7.62 back to it's true form and it's not an easy job. I will be taking a couple of shortcuts because I don't have access to a full machine shop. She will indeed turn out beautiful though. :wub:

Looks awesome bubbabrother! If it was mine I would change one thing. Put a laminated wood PG on there or go back to the bakelite one. If you need another compliance part swap the piston. It only takes a few minutes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing those parts if that's what you want and the headspace is not a problem. You got the best of both worlds. A true Russian receiver with US FCG and all those evil goodies up front without having to undo and redo everything about it to get there. I'm in the process of converting my 7.62 back to it's true form and it's not an easy job. I will be taking a couple of shortcuts because I don't have access to a full machine shop. She will indeed turn out beautiful though. :wub:

I'm looking for a laminated PG - just haven't found one yet. That's the only way to fly. I'll be searching the fun-show this weekend for one. It has a U.S. PG, Piston, Brake & FCG in it right now. I believe in it's current config it has 16 parts (I could be wrong) with the brake & pg. I guess I could order a lam pg from ironwood designs & be done with it.

Yeah, I took the "easy" route on it...I'll save the fun swap for the 223!

edited to add:

The laminated pistol grips from Ironwooddesigns.com are $20 (US part)

Global Trades has blond plastic PG's for $9 (US Part)

AMD solid wood ones for $8 (Hungarian)

Edited by dinzag

:killer:

After we ran to the fun-show today we got the itch to convert some $$$ into noise. Me & my cohort in crime split a $120 mixed case of Wolf 7.62x39.

We ran 240 rounds of FMJ & HP Wolf ammo down her today to bust her cherry!!! :super: Took longer to reload than anything - need more mags, 4 don't cut it!

Not a single hiccup! Got it hot enough to bake on the GunKote the rest of the way. After the 4th mag change, she was starting to take the frostbite out of my fingers.

We started to get bumpfiring down pretty good, but ran out of ammo.

We also ran 120 through Craig's S-762 & a mag through each of the S-223's, 100 through the S-20's, & 60 through the 410. Left a hell-of-a pile empties at my father-in-law's!

Anyway, the S-762 runs like a top & I'm very proud of it. :smoke:

Thanks guys! I ran another 120 rounds last night & met the new neighbor. He heard me dumping a mag & brought out his SA SOCOM 2. That's a sweet gun and it only has a 16" barrel! Pretty cool guy...he let me run a couple mags through it & I did the same. :super:

Too bad I can't afford one, that was a nice shooter! Cleaner trigger than the VEPR.

We got a gun-date at the club Saturday. We're gonna run the skeet houses if the weather permits.

:smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the part I dont get is why did you pull out the Saiga front trunnion? You could have just swaped out the sight parts. If the other parts wouldnt fit on the factory Saiga barrel, why not just pull the barrel assembly and replace?

Came out nice, just dont get the trunnion logic.

Actually, you might want to stay tuned!!! ;)

At the time I wanted a threaded barrel and didn't want to buy a tat & die. No rentals were available. We had all the parts in front of us and cranked it out in a few hours. I took the quickest route to get what I wanted. :smoke:

Once the Saiga barrel is threaded & notched for pins & retainer, it will be done proper sans the rivets...

Excellent job man. I went the same route with my AMD. I used a laminate stock and solid PG and forend, stained them all dark cedar/red maple. I love the look, did you use a walnut stain? Looks awesome man! I know exactly what you mean about getting what you want with the suplies on hand. I might have to find a solid stock to match my other wood though, the stain acts differently on the laminate.

post-1374-1139669027_thumb.jpg

Excellent job man. I went the same route with my AMD. I used a laminate stock and solid PG and forend, stained them all dark cedar/red maple. I love the look, did you use a walnut stain? Looks awesome man! I know exactly what you mean about getting what you want with the suplies on hand. I might have to find a solid stock to match my other wood though, the stain acts differently on the laminate.

Hey man - thanks! Once the old finish was removed I heated it up for several hours to leach out as much "factory oil" as I could & then applied the natural oak stain & let it cool. It soaked up a lot. Rubbed dry & then applied 2 coats of satin poly. I made a hot-box out of a ceramic heater & cardboard box.

It's now on the 410... :smoke:

Edited to add:

Looks like I used a semi-gloss polyurethane, not satin.

I can see your pic now - wouldn't show yesterday. Nice!

That laminate stock & HG has a lot of dark (black) stuff soaked into the cross grains. I tried sanding it out, but it kept leaching to the surface. It ended up coming out o.k. when it was done. The upper HG is solid and came out blonde with the same finish.

Edited by dinzag