Winchester Bulk pack ammo

We noticed a while ago that Winchester had changed , the BOX at least, on their bulk pack 100 rnd boxes at Walmart.

We have shot just over 200 rounds of it, SO FAR it has worked OK in our, well shot, competition guns.

We have not tried it in a NEW gun yet.

The hull is still very thin and the base doesn't have as sharp(well defined) a lip as Federal or Remington,but so far no NOTICEABLE light charge,  split, or swelled base's like we saw in the old Win bulk pack.

The Win AA 1145's are still our preferred load for competition, but if your looking for some cheap BLASTIN rounds , they may be worth trying again. 

Yes we had our first ever failure, (it's on the video, "Joshua practicing at home") the primer was seated crooked.

We didn't think till later, to take a pic of it, looked at it threw into the barrel with who knows how many hulls.

They feed excellent, consistent powder charge, stiff hull, all around excellent shell.

Picked up several more packs(cheap Winchester) today, we'll see how they run.

Ran by Walmart to pick up some of Winchester bulk pack but none in stock.   Only thing for 12 gauge on the shelves were the Remington STS.What kind of prices do you see on the Winchesters?

Now if I needed some .223/5.56, it would have been like Christmas.   Several 1000 packs of 855, lots of XM193 and Tula.  Even saw several boxes of Winchester Match with 69 gr bullets.

Thanks for the info. Last time I glanced at this stuff was a couple months ago, and I was surprised to see how much it had gone up locally. I chose to make my own. I wonder if it loads to the same data or not.

Rem's bulk pack (gun club) is supposed to load to identical data as their premium offering (STS), which is one perk of those over the winchester universals, which have almost no published data.

We are paying 

$0.26 per rnd Win bulk

$0.28  Fed-Rem bulk

$0.34 Win AA

So far we can't buy it wholesale, cheaper than WM retail, I need to find some distrubutors who actually carry bulk, seems when I ask about cases or larger lots they're 015.gif

If we can get free shipping then it's maybe a cent or two cheaper

... I need to find some distrubutors who actually carry bulk, seems when I ask about cases or larger lots they're 015.gif

If we can get free shipping then it's maybe a cent or two cheaper

How about Graf & Sons in Mexico, MO, or Midway in Columbia, MO?

https://www.grafs.com/dealer/

http://www.midwayusa.com/help/dealer-information (Midway is wanting dealers to become retail customers instead.)

If you can save shipping, Matt, by driving to either location... maybe it'd save you some money.  I had an FFL for 20 years and got some great ammo deals at Graf & Sons.

When they have it in stock, Brownells has pretty good ammo prices for those with an FFL.   I usually wait until they offer a shipping discount code and then stock up.  You do not need an FFL to use the code.

Current code (good until 01/01/2014) is "EB2".  Free shipping on orders over $150.00.  

http://www.brownells.com/coupons?clickid=V3JwqtQTqxnQU--TCbTHMxRpUkWXDQ1zhWtRXg0&aid=27795&source=ir&ch=aff

Thanks for the tips guys, but so far our local WM is still the same price or cheaper. 

Maybe I can get a "dealer" account at WMsmile.png

How is the Remington Gun Club? As GunFun mentioned, I don't remember if we've tried that specific load, I found those cheap.  

2.75", 7.5 shot, 1 1/8 oz., 1145 & 1200 fps. Says the hull is re-loadable.

I got 500 on the way we'll see how they run.

I just shot a box of factory loaded gun clubs last night...they seemed to run well and I had them combined in a 23 round mag with my AA reloads.  As soon as I hit the AA reloads, I started to get some FTF.  I guess I need to go back to the drawing board on those.  The gun club hulls can be reloaded multiple times and hold up well.

Edited by compshootfl

How is the Remington Gun Club? As GunFun mentioned, I don't remember if we've tried that specific load, I found those cheap.  2.75", 7.5 shot, 1 1/8 oz., 1145 & 1200 fps. Says the hull is re-loadable.

The Remington Gun Club shells at 1200 fps have so far been the most reliable shells for my MKA 1919.  I wait until Brownells has free shipping and buy up four or five cases at a time.

Tried the Rem GC 1145 fps and still will not run 100% so I'll break it in a little more and try again later.   

The Winchester AA's I tried unsuccessfully were from a few cases in the garage that were a little bit old (bought around 2002).  Based on your success with the AA 1145 fps loads, I picked up a box this morning.  Hope to try them out this weekend.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Thanks for the tips guys, but so far our local WM is still the same price or cheaper. 

Maybe I can get a "dealer" account at WMsmile.png

How is the Remington Gun Club? As GunFun mentioned, I don't remember if we've tried that specific load, I found those cheap.  

2.75", 7.5 shot, 1 1/8 oz., 1145 & 1200 fps. Says the hull is re-loadable.

I got 500 on the way we'll see how they run.

I'd put them  in between Win and Fed bulk for power of the same dram rating. Consistent hull good for maybe 4 reloads. I think the federal crimps a little better. Howerver, the gun clubs have a plastic basewad unlike the other two, so if you pick them up off of damp ground etc., you don't have to worry about whether that fiber is seperating or will contaminate your powder. The biggest perk though is the plethora of data. I plan to make a batch of plinker slugs sometime soon with them.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help but feel amazed at the wisdom shown by people who insist on putting regular gas in a race car, and expect it to perform!

SOME of our "race cars" run JUST FINE on regular (1145fps) gas  032.gif

That being said , we got several more boxes of the Win. Universal that are crap, terriblely inconsistant, I was hoping they heard how bad they were and made some changes.

I cut one of these newer Win universal shells apart recently. They still have kinda flimsy plastic hull, but one major improvement has happened inside. Now they use a two piece plastic basewad. that would make them much more reloadable if there were data. The older ones had fiber basewad, which means that any laying on the ground can be degraded by moisture and impossible to examine for safety, if you aren't certain when they were fired and how many times. The plastic basewad means you only really need to look for external damage. They might be worth saving in a trash bag until data shows up, if you've got space. 

Federal bulk still has fiber, and the remmington gun club bulk is one piece plastic. Rems crimp very nicely too, although the black and green sometimes need a little tweaking between them. Supposedly green are more consistent and black have more variation in tube length. Either way once you get them dialed in, they load easy and look like they've never been fired. IMO they are superior to the other cheapies, especially since they have lots of commercial data available.