Value of Norinco SKS Sporter with factory AK mag conversion?

What would you all consider a fair dollar amount for a Norinco SKS Sporter with wood thumbhole stock and factory AK mag well. The rifle is in great condition, and is the only SKS that really interests me. I possibly have the opportunity to buy and or trade for one. Seen some on online broker sites for 900, but do not trust that value. He bought it in original cosmeline and doesn't really know what he wants for it. I want to make sure I do not pay too much, but want to make sure he gets a fair price as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

If it is a real factory AK magwell, these command top dollar amongst SKS enthusiasts, they are not common.

IMO $500 would be rape, $600 a steal and $700 a deal, $800 fair, $900 really wanting it.

Heck I paid $500 for my re-arsenaled 55/56 Tula Russian in Good condition back in Feb.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

JOKE:

Scrap metal should be about $1 and the wood is worth something too... So... $2?

SERIOUS:

Rare model or not, if you're not into the SKS platform as a collector, I'd move on... I think $550 would be a deal if you really want it, but why shell that out if you're not a collector of the platform? Just buy an AK that accepts AK mags...

To me, no SKS is worth more than $300... I'd rather have an AK, as would the rest of the world in terms of firearms evolution.

• Like 2

This thread needs pictures.

Courtesy of Startpage.

My stock was notched to accept 75 rnd drums. When I bought it it had cross-cuts where they hacked away.

Not highly accurate but, fun.

Much more accurate with a short mag.

It was a stepping stone to the AK.

Mine is very comfortable to shoot.

These pics are random from the web.

post-38865-0-47365100-1382596518_thumb.jpg

post-38865-0-35024800-1382596532_thumb.jpg

post-38865-0-69243300-1382596557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim_Player

Thanks all for the feedback. I have not laid eyes on the rifle yet, so condition and whether it's a conversion or factory is still unconfirmed. However I believe that it is indeed factory, and have no reason to doubt that he is not the original owner of the rifle out of surplus.

He wants an AR, which I can build with extra parts I currently have. I would just need to order a Spikes lower. Total I would have maybe 500 in the build, but he would get a rifle that was worth more if he tried to go out and buy it.

My first military rifle was a SKS back in the early 90's. I sold it when my first daughter was born, and I kick myself for doing that to this day. I agree that I would rather have an AK than a SKS, but I already have several AK's. I am more interested in this one because they are uncommon, and I enjoy firearms that are unusual even if they are not the most practical.

I will check out the rifle next week and see if we can make a fair deal. If we do, I will post up pics. From his description it looks like the last photo in Sim_Player's post.

Let me start by saying: The SKS was the rifle that turned me on to shooting as a sport.  Its a wonderful rifle, and while not the most accurate around, it is certainly a good performer.  At least those I have shot do fairly well for a 50+ year old rifle.  I also LOVE the flying brass.  I've had my bad boy out near dusk, with dirty ammo, and loved shooting out a fireball as I down gallon jugs of water!  Just a fun fun fun shooter.

That said, unless you are a collector, $500 is too much for an SKS.  Remember: this is a C&R rifle, and relic is the proper term.  

That said, assuming I was a collector, it would have to have matching numbers for the parts, be in excellent condition untouched, or a fantastic job refinishing to original specs, and be 100% original and still shoot with the best of them.

If you want a shooter, or a gun to transform (e.g., SKS bullpup), you can easily find sub $250 SKSs.  Gun broker may not be the best place to look.  Check state gun forums and state classifieds.  I think you will find them fairly easily.  Given that price, you might have the option to transform it to the stock you want at or below the price of the one you are looking at (remember 922 though).

Your decision though is the most important.  Is it worth the money TO YOU????  Screw what everyone else thinks in the end, just be sure you know what you are getting into and whether its worth it to you.  Heck, the ability to buy right now might be the most important thing to you.   Its what you want, not what everyone else thinks.

Edited by Remek
  • Like 1

I love the SKS. Mine is a 50 Tula that I traded a Nodak Spud Econ 3 receiver romy G kit rifle.

The thing came out of a crate with a bunch of others packed to the brim with cosmoline and wrapped in oil paper.

The gun looked unused. Bolt face was clean and so was the end of the gas piston. little or no use. I have the 20 rd.

SKS mags. for it and the gun functions flawlessly. Its a sweetheart.  It was cool to see that crate of what look like

brand new SKS's. All but 4 had sequential serials.

Let me start by saying: The SKS was the rifle that turned me on to shooting as a sport.  Its a wonderful rifle, and while not the most accurate around, it is certainly a good performer.  At least those I have shot do fairly well for a 50+ year old rifle.  I also LOVE the flying brass.  I've had my bad boy out near dusk, with dirty ammo, and loved shooting out a fireball as I down gallon jugs of water!  Just a fun fun fun shooter.

That said, unless you are a collector, $500 is too much for an SKS.  Remember: this is a C&R rifle, and relic is the proper term.  

That said, assuming I was a collector, it would have to have matching numbers for the parts, be in excellent condition untouched, or a fantastic job refinishing to original specs, and be 100% original and still shoot with the best of them.

If you want a shooter, or a gun to transform (e.g., SKS bullpup), you can easily find sub $250 SKSs.  Gun broker may not be the best place to look.  Check state gun forums and state classifieds.  I think you will find them fairly easily.  Given that price, you might have the option to transform it to the stock you want at or below the price of the one you are looking at (remember 922 though).

Your decision though is the most important.  Is it worth the money TO YOU????  Screw what everyone else thinks in the end, just be sure you know what you are getting into and whether its worth it to you.  Heck, the ability to buy right now might be the most important thing to you.   Its what you want, not what everyone else thinks.

Everything you posted Remak is spot on.. I also especially appreciated Chile's graduation from "rape" to " I really want it " pricing. That made me laugh but also gave me a good idea what I wanted to pay or trade for it. Got me thinking what the world would be like if everything for sale was priced via the same graduation. Me thinks we would get to learn a lot more on what people are passionate about! With that said, this would not be a "bubba" rifle. It would remain stock for collector purposes. Plus it is somewhat rare despite qualifying as C&R. No more will be made nor imported. I agree, there are a lot of inexpensive surplus SKS rifles for modification. I hope I love the rifle and can't live without it, but I won't know until I see it and break it down. I recall a similar fascination with the Ruger Gunsite Scout when it first came out. I thought it was one of the sexiest rifles I had seen in a long time, until I held one and worked the bolt. It was like Heidi Klum with Fran Drescher's voice. So we will see. Thanks all for your input. It has been very beneficial.

[blah blah blah]

Everything you posted Remak is spot on.. I also especially appreciated Chile's graduation from "rape" to " I really want it " pricing. That made me laugh but also gave me a good idea what I wanted to pay or trade for it. Got me thinking what the world would be like if everything for sale was priced via the same graduation. ... Thanks all for your input. It has been very beneficial.

You're welcome, I am glad I helped someone for a change!

My first SKS love is still with me from 1990.  Matching numbers, great running condition, but she's a little worn: needs re-blue and finish on stock.  Price: $60.  I have cornered another deal that I think I am  going to take advantage of soon, $200.  One of them is going to go full-retard and become a bull-pup.

They are definetly collectors now. The thumbhole stock feels very comfortable to me.

The machining is pretty crude on mine but, it functions perfect.

The barrel is very thick compared to my AKs.

Here are a couple of pics of me at the range shooting mine..

post-38865-0-73345900-1382673903.jpg

post-38865-0-61039700-1382673936.jpg

• Like 2

It's an exceptional rifle for someone who gives a damn about the SKS platform. It would not be something you would want to pay a premium for and then go beat the ever loving shit out of it.

If you have the spare parts and can pick up one of the 95 dollar spikes tactical cosmetic blemish receivers, you may consider building him a basic ar with used parts. Your build would probably sell for more than 500, this collectable SKS would in time. I doubt that this SKS will appreciate like some SKS junkies hope it will. After all, it's still an SKS.

The people who would pay a premium for this exceptional piece of SKS will want it to be in great condition. Unless you have some rag head's pure gold plated SKS, It's never worth more than 100 bucks to me.

He wants an AR, which I can build with extra parts I currently have. I would just need to order a Spikes lower. Total I would have maybe 500 in the build, but he would get a rifle that was worth more if he tried to go out and buy it.

I guess I'm looking at that trade from a bigger picture market point of view... Since I'm not into SKSs I don't know what the market was like in January, but I know what guys were getting out of basic ARs. My crystal ball (which is really all I have to go with in this debate) tells me that in a ban or panic situation, that AR will be worth 2-3x what the SKS will and will appeal to a far larger market. Soo... With your labor, in this market, you might be trading a $700 gun for a $500 gun. In another market (which we're always fearing) you might be trading a $1600 gun for a $700 gun...

That's just the way I'm looking at it. The bigger point is how bad you want it. It is certainly cool and everybody that knows agrees that its rare. Sometimes, you just have to pay what it costs if you want it! :) I've done it many times myself across assorted hobbies. Sometimes a deal isn't in the price, but in the satisfaction of ownership.

• Like 1

I guess I'm looking at that trade from a bigger picture market point of view... Since I'm not into SKSs I don't know what the market was like in January, but I know what guys were getting out of basic ARs. My crystal ball (which is really all I have to go with in this debate) tells me that in a ban or panic situation, that AR will be worth 2-3x what the SKS will and will appeal to a far larger market. Soo... With your labor, in this market, you might be trading a $700 gun for a $500 gun. In another market (which we're always fearing) you might be trading a $1600 gun for a $700 gun...

That's just the way I'm looking at it. The bigger point is how bad you want it. It is certainly cool and everybody that knows agrees that its rare. Sometimes, you just have to pay what it costs if you want it! :) I've done it many times myself across assorted hobbies. Sometimes a deal isn't in the price, but in the satisfaction of ownership.

Excellent point Maxwelhse, and one I had been thinking about. Actually I think you are prejudiced by the fact that the SKS isn't black. :) I wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. After a cooling down period, I am questioning whether I really want, or more importantly need this rifle. That was one of the primary purposes I posted this thread.

In reality, I would be much wiser to put the money into primers, powder, and bullets right now. I do think we will have another major panic around November of next year. I am not interested in buying a bunch of rifles to just resell during a panic at 3x what I paid for them. I would be the guy who would sell to a buddy who wanted one at what I paid for it even if I could get a lot more on GB. What I do long for is several shipments of $399 sporter config Saigas to hit our shores again. I would buy several this time around so I could have project guns for the foreseeable future. But I think we all know that ship has sailed.