6000 rounds of BOXED 22LR in a 50 Cal can.

I found a way to get 6000 rounds of 22LR into a 50 Cal can. The ammo is not packed loose, it is in boxes

I repack it into to the smaller 45ACP boxes that are 5.5” long x 2.75” wide by 1.5” deep. Tula, Speer, Blazer and Federal are just a couple of the companies that sell 45ACP in that size box.

I’m able to get 300 rounds per box and 20 boxes per can so that works out to the 6000 rounds.

The only problem I had was that I didn't have enough empty boxes laying around. I checked the web but couldn't find a box close to what I wanted.

I thought about dumpster diving for the smaller boxes at my local ranges but then I remembered that Underwood started packing his ammo in the smaller boxes

So I called Kevin and asked if he could hook me up with his supplier, but in the end I just ordered some from him, along with more 10mm.

Now I just have too wait for them to show up and I confirm that they fit and get a total weight.

This may seem a bit OCD but I think most people know I am a bit quirky.

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 2

A bit quirky....understatement of the year.

not really  "quirky". more like space saving and a economical use of ammo cans.  if you can fit a shit load of ammo in a one of two ammo cans, that means you don't have to buy a lot of cans and it makes for a smaller footprint.

I have 5.45 ammo on stripper clips packed in 30 cal cans. 600 rounds can fit in each can, 2 cans can hold more then 1 "spam"  can  in a smaller footprint. and when I go to the range, all I need is a couple of 74 mags. which takes up less space, and I can load the mags faster

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 3

...I have 5.45 ammo on stripper clips packed in 30 cal cans. 600 rounds can fit in each can, 2 cans can hold more then 1 "spam"  can  in a smaller footprint.....

I would like to add this to my ammo pack out chart. Can you let me know how many rounds are on each clip and how they fit in there

I would like to add this to my ammo pack out chart. Can you let me know how many rounds are on each clip and how they fit in there

each clip hold 15 rounds, and they are vertically stacked in the can.   I also have 1310 rounds of 7.62x39  packed in a S.A.W. can, since I bought a NcSTAR AK loader, and found that thing actually works!! so no more onesy loading a mag, or manipulating some loading gizmo. now I just drop a 10 round   clip, use the plunger and strip round in the magazine. in less then 15 seconds  I have a fully loaded mag. it's nice, because now I'm not spending a lot of time loading mags on the range, and  I don't have to take a bunch of mags just a couple. biggrin.png

post-22408-0-62006100-1386717896_thumb.jpg

post-22408-0-63047700-1386717910.jpg

• Like 2

since buying a NcSTAR .308 loader to load my FAL,  HK91 and CETME mags, and modifying 2 BETA CO M16 loader to work on my HK 53 and my 5.56 AKs mags, I also was able to put more rounds on stripper clips and pack them in 50 cal cans. 

the next thing I'm going to  do is to buy a Carl Gustav or perhaps a  UZI loader and see if I can modify that to load my MP 5 mags. if it works out, then I'll load  9mm on stripper clips biggrin.png

1,000 rounds 5.56 ( still room for around  300 rounds more) and 500 rounds of .308 (no room there baby, it's filled biggrin.png

post-22408-0-07118100-1386721022_thumb.jpg

post-22408-0-25556100-1386721033_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

360 rounds of 12 gauge 2 3/4" shells in a fat .50 can.  5 rows of 8 shells staggered, by 9 levels deep, with 1/8" cardboard on all sides and bottom. 

240 rounds of the above in a standard .50 can, with 1/8" cardboard between rows.

308 rounds of .30-06 staggered in a .30 can, with cardboard on bottom and sides.

1140 rounds of 5.56mm boxed in .50 can. (military pack) 

Start on the ends with 2 boxes vertical and one box on it's side per end of can.  Add one more box on it's side and one more vertical per side of can.  You should now have the perimeter of the can filled.  Add 4 boxes flat in the hole in the center of the can.  After 3 levels of 4 flat boxes, add 3 boxes vertical on each side and 2 boxes on their side around the perimeter.  There will be a small gap on each side.  Continue filling the center of the can.  Add 5 boxes flat on top.  Total 57, 20 rnd boxes for 1140 rounds total. 

• Like 1

Thanks for pics.

Where did you pick up the stripper clips?  Have a 4 pack on the way from Apex.  Saw some at Classic too.

you're welcome smile.png

as for the clips, I bought them at the local gun show,  long, long ago, maybe in 2000 or a bit later, off a "junk table". they were e.german clips, had german tags on them,   packed in paper.  I believe they were 15 in a pack.  I know I didn't pay a huge amount of money for them, they were maybe 5 or 6 bucks a pack.  then of course,  I had to ask what the price would be if I bought all he had, and of course the price was better,  so I bought them all smile.png

• Like 2

You definitely should make a chart and post it.

I already have charts posted to this thread:  http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86474-ammo-box-storage-pack-outs/page-2

1140 rounds of 5.56mm boxed in .50 can. (military pack) 

Start on the ends with 2 boxes vertical and one box on it's side per end of can.  Add one more box on it's side and one more vertical per side of can.  You should now have the perimeter of the can filled.  Add 4 boxes flat in the hole in the center of the can.  After 3 levels of 4 flat boxes, add 3 boxes vertical on each side and 2 boxes on their side around the perimeter.  There will be a small gap on each side.  Continue filling the center of the can.  Add 5 boxes flat on top.  Total 57, 20 rnd boxes for 1140 rounds total.

I need a picture of this

Thanks for pics.

Where did you pick up the stripper clips?  Have a 4 pack on the way from Apex.  Saw some at Classic too.

I'll have to take a look for the site.  I did a search for stripper clips and found somewhere (maybe amazon???) that had them for like 20 or 30 per hundred.  4 of them is just gonna piss you off.  

• Like 1

I'll have to take a look for the site.  I did a search for stripper clips and found somewhere (maybe amazon???) that had them for like 20 or 30 per hundred.  4 of them is just gonna piss you off.  

Any help is appreciated.  I've been searching.  Found many for too much and a site where they are a dollar each when you buy 20 or more.  There has to be better deals out there.

ain't that the truth, once you load a mag using a stripper clip, you'll wonder why you didn't buy this before.

and 20 or 30 bucks for a hundred 5.45 clips  would be a phenomenal deal. I'll get on that deal to load up some more of my "canned"  5.45 smile.png

on a side note, loading my MP5 mags isn't any fun, the BETA 9mm loader that came with my BETA drum just doesn't make it for me, and the ones I have seen with the little lever would piss me off.

so I am taking a jump (leap of faith, if you will)  and ordered a Swedish K loader with 5 stripper clips and see if I can use that on my MP5 mags, I know I'll have to do some modification, but if it works I'll let you guys know smile.png

anything that makes loading a mag fast or easy is what I strive for smile.png. I like to spend my time on the range shooting then loading mags

I received my boxes from Underwood and after a few different configurations I was able to get 5200 rounds in one 50 Cal can by packing 325 rounds into 16 boxes

I originally went with 300 rounds in 20 boxes buy the top layer of boxes was sitting about 3/8” above the top of the box and they would have gotten crushed when I closed the lid.

The total weight of the box is 43 pounds and it’s an even split of 36gr and 40 gr rounds