Homies... This ain't right (vets please read)...

Hey guys... I'm going to make the introduction to this message short and sweet... I'm going to curse a whole bunch here, so, take that for what it's worth.

USO is out there, they are doing good for our troops, donations to USO are tax deductible. and you can donate whatever you want (they have a fill in the blank form)... www.uso.org

------------------

now... if you want to know I'm bringing that up, keep reading.

There are some raging douche bag motherfuckers that have been parading around my town for MONTHS claiming to be raising money to help disabled vets. I learned a long time ago to never give money to street people (I don't care what their cause is, I can write a check from home, and you guys know that I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to good causes) so I never gave these fucks the time of day. EVERY DAY for 6 months I would see them on the same corner and EVERY DAY they would try to pan handle me. I never gave in, but EVERY DAY I felt guilty about it because I know that I never did my part for our freedom (I never served and I thank all of you guys and gals that did) so I'm basically riding on the coat tails of others.

Sure enough, these guys are a total scam (well... they aren't in a court of law yet, but I think the articles I cite below are pretty compelling)

Here are the news articles from my home town (I'm not hard to find in the comments, or anywhere else on the internet.... I'm not shy) about these cowardly motherfuckers...

http://wane.com/news/investigative/sandbox-veterans-unwilling-to-speak-publicly/

http://wane.com/news/investigative/attorney-general-to-investigate-sandbox-veterans/

http://wane.com/news/investigative/sandbox-veteran-admits-to-illegal-activity/

All that said, I just laid down $20/ea in memory of my fallen cousin (you guys know about that and you know I get emotional about it) and in honor of my Dad ('nam vet)... As soon as I get rank confirmation for my fallen cousin's brother (the last I heard he was a Marine scout sniper) I'll be tossing another $20 in his honor.

This type of shit chaps my ass in ways I can't even express. Without dredging up more of my personal life, I'd just like to take a second to ask you guys to consider sending just a single dollar to the USO to actually help our troops have a more comfortable life while deployed.

If you didn't want to dredge through the user comments on those articles, I'll recap my final sentiment. The next time I see those fucks pan handling at an intersection I'm going to be out of my Jeep and letting them know what time it is for defrauding our disabled vets. I'm not an athletic man, but with a large 6'4" frame and a 6D Maglite I'm hoping that they get the picture...

Sooo.... I'm sorry to be so scarce around here and only showing up to ask for help, but I think this is the right crowd to help make a difference for our troops.

TEXAS AK DESIGNS WAS THE ONLY FORUM VENDOR TO SUPPORT MY NRA/GOA MATCHING FUNDS FUND RAISER CAMPAIGN (I personally came out of pocket about $200 for that... TAKD is the only vendor that donated any matching contributions and I won't the let the forum forget it)....

I'M HOPING SOME OF OUR OTHER FINE FORUM VENDORS WILL KICK IN A BUCK OR TWO TO HELP OUR TROOPS SO I CAN SPOUT AT THE TOP OF MY "LUNGS" HOW GREAT THEY ARE FOR OUR COMMUNITY!!! It's only $1...

Thanks guys!

• Like 2

Be careful. You don't need an assault charge.

I'm no going to strike either of those carp... I just want to appear to be ready to do so. I appreciate the heads up, but I think brandishing a flashlight is still legal in all 50 (I will go unarmed, which is pretty much a no-brainer for me since I see them to and from work and my daily is a soft top... aka, no secure place to store a firearm).

Sooo... You gonna give $1 to USO? Are you doing something else instead with your charity money? If so, I'd like to hear about it so I know more about my options.

I went out to the USO website and it looks like it is set up for monthly contributions.  I'd like  to do a one time $20 contribution at this point.  Am I missing something?

PS....Beware of the scam sites panhandling for cash and card information.

Here is the official one as far as I can tell:  https://usoheroes.uso.org/

I went out to the USO website and it looks like it is set up for monthly contributions.  I'd like  to do a one time $20 contribution at this point.  Am I missing something?

PS....Beware of the scam sites panhandling for cash and card information.

Here is the official one as far as I can tell:  https://usoheroes.uso.org/

This is what I believe to be the official site direct link with multiple options for donations (send $0.01 or $100,000):

http://www.uso.org/donatelanding.aspx

One time option is simply "Donate Now", or of course you can choose the "Donate in Honor or In Memory of Someone Special" if you'd like to honor someone. That's the option I went with so I could honor my cousin and Dad.

I believe the link you sent is for the same web site, just a slightly different (and slightly strange) link,. Attached below is the complete "whois" information for www.uso.org and it seems legit to me (registered outside of DC, DC-ish area code phone number, etc). I'm not an expert, but I'm comfortable with sending them my money. If you'd prefer to wait a bit I will update this thread when I get the confirmation post cards from the organization. I've already received the confirmation emails. The emails cite the phone number 1-877-USO-GIVE for any inquiries. I called the number and got a standard issue menu system that sounded legit.

As a total failsafe... I called up my local VA Hospital to see what was up... VAMC Fort Wayne, Indiana: 260-426-5431... USO will be in the hospital on Tuesday (Monday is a federal holiday)... So... If you want to wait until Tuesday call them up and get a USO guy directly or please call your local VA branch and I'm sure they can put you in touch with a local USO rep.

Thanks a ton for looking into donating and please update me if my link if you find that any information is wrong. I certainly don't want to be recommending people to donate to ANOTHER fraudulent organization... I really hope some other folks will follow in your foot steps and give a little bit if they are able to.

------------------------

Domain Name: USO.ORG

Registry Domain ID:

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com

Registrar URL: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/

Updated Date: 2012-04-23T00:00:00Z

Creation Date: 2002-10-16T00:00:00Z

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-06-22T00:00:00Z

Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

Registrar IANA ID: 2

Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@web.com

Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 800-333-7680

Reseller:

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited

Registry Registrant ID:

Registrant Name: United Service Organizations, Inc

Registrant Organization: United Service Organizations, Inc

Registrant Street: 2111 Wilson Blvd.

Registrant City: Arlington

Registrant State/Province: VA

Registrant Postal Code: 22201

Registrant Country: US

Registrant Phone: 703-908-6400

Registrant Phone Ext:

Registrant Fax:

Registrant Fax Ext:

Registrant Email:

Registry Admin ID:

Admin Name: Donegan, Valerie

Admin Organization:

Admin Street: 2111 Wilson Blvd.

Admin City: Arlington

Admin State/Province: VA

Admin Postal Code: 22201

Admin Country: US

Admin Phone: 703-908-6423

Admin Phone Ext:

Admin Fax: 703-908-6401

Admin Fax Ext:

Admin Email: usoweb@uso.org

Registry Tech ID:

Tech Name: Donegan, Valerie

Tech Organization:

Tech Street: 2111 Wilson Blvd.

Tech City: Arlington

Tech State/Province: VA

Tech Postal Code: 22201

Tech Country: US

Tech Phone: 703-908-6423

Tech Phone Ext:

Tech Fax: 703-908-6401

Tech Fax Ext:

Tech Email: usoweb@uso.org

Name Server: NS.RACKSPACE.COM

Name Server: NS2.RACKSPACE.COM

DNSSEC: not signed

URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/

>>> Last update of WHOIS database: Sat Feb 15 11:11:47 EST 2014 <<<

Thanks for the link.  I sent through $25.00  Hopefully others will follow suit with some kind of contribution.

"Logan", thanks for leading the charge. I'm honestly taken aback that one of our respected mods was the first to jump on board and I do honestly respect you calling me out about HOW to properly donate. I really hope I gave accurate advice. Again, thanks for coming out of your own pocket and starting the charge.

I think I can afford to help out a little, thanks for the idea.

K... I'm also deeply touched that you have decided to donate whatever you can to help our troops. I've only recently discovered all of the wonderful things that USO does for our soldiers and I'm very grateful that you've decided to help out.

---------------

I came here after participating in the forum on my local new station because I knew we were thick as a brick with folks that were not only driven to do the right thing, but required to do so by honor and USO flat out helps our troops (it doesn't matter what side of the argument you might be on during any war, our troops go... the end)... You guys are just flat out good people and I'm very proud to be associated with all of you. If anyone can spare a single cent, please do so

Thanks a ton for everyone that has donated even a penny (yes, you can donate just a cent. I know that there are people helping that want to reply to the thread that have donated... that silent folks are just as valuable as anyone and I thank you), thought about it, or maybe just called up a service person and said thank you.

Again, if you're not comfortable with the website I linked, please wait until Tuesday and call up your local VAMC and ask to speak with the USO. I'm positive they will be happy to speak with you and delighted to hear that you want to help.

I'm going to drop a couple of PMs to some of our forum vendors and see if we can get some additional support. I won't name any names except for those that want to help.. I will also name drop ad nauseam any vendor who helps out... LIKE TAKD!!!

I've already had my first vendor response and I'm very impressed about how quickly it came in. I really hope that we can raise at least a few hundred bucks for phone cards, blankets, hotel nights to come home, food, and any other needs that we, as a community can provide. You folks are the best and there are no finer anywhere in the world!

I've been donating regularly (since at least 2000) to the USO. :up:

Never sent any donation to the St. Louis airport though.  You go spend the night sleeping on the luggage turnstile on your duffel bag (and kiss my ass :angry: ) you dumbass airport lackey.  Why should I suffer just because a really light dusting of snowflakes fell and you're afraid to fly the plane? :rolleyes:

We donate to the VFW through work, and you'd be amazed how few people at a DEFENSE CONTRACTOR donate. Most of the assembly personnel are naturalized, from Asia (mostly Vietnam) not born citizens. You'd think they of all people would be grateful for the freedom that was paid for in American blood. 

As you probably guessed by my nom de plume, this really PISSES ME OFF! A lot of them are going "home" to Asia to retire. No loyalty at all.

• Like 1

We donate to the VFW through work, and you'd be amazed how few people at a DEFENSE CONTRACTOR donate. Most of the assembly personnel are naturalized, from Asia (mostly Vietnam) not born citizens. You'd think they of all people would be grateful for the freedom that was paid for in American blood. 

As you probably guessed by my nom de plume, this really PISSES ME OFF! A lot of them are going "home" to Asia to retire. No loyalty at all.

One of the casualties of our less  than coherent immigration policy that is big on inclusion and multiculturalism.  What ever happened to assimilation?  No investment, no commitment, no care!  America  is being used and hollowed out.  God help us.

I am a active duty, United States Marine, and combat vet with just about 14 years service under my belt and I routinely donate to the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) and VFW.  I donate via mail and try to keep my CC off the internet if I can help it.

Semper Fi,

Gunny NR

Guys, thanks a ton for donating for our troops!

Just for grins, I contacted the local news reporter that did that piece (he also did an expose' on local panhandling bums... showing them getting in their cars and such at the end of most of their begging sessions) and suggested that they do a follow up bit on legit veterans charities. He said it was a great idea, so hopefully he follows through. 2 minutes of free advertising may go a long way for USO, even if it is just local.

Simply putting this story out to a few hundred regular readers on here has probably gotten them a few hundred bucks. I knew I came to the right place. ;)

That is totally shameful. I wouldn't paint all of that with the foreigner brush (though I totally agree with you). I'd imagine that if you ask any typical non-veteran if they would donate to a veterans org you'd get the same response. For some reason people get really riled up with the notion of whatever war we're fighting and lump that all in with the poor guy that is just doing his job. My Dad has NEVER told me this story, and he only told my Mom one time, but he got the joy of coming into San Fransisco by way of GERMANY (he did his Vietnam tour and they put him on a nuke base to finish off) to have loads of sweaty hippies spitting on him and calling him a baby killer. My Dad was Corp of Engineers and got VERY lucky that he spent all of his time building roads in friendly areas and driving around base commanders (he got involved in the motor pool out of angst more or less, he requested that as his MOS when enlisted and got Corp of Engineers instead... Since he was the only guy qualified to drive the equipment when it needed serviced he just started servicing it himself). He lost friends and took fire but he made it back home much better off than some other guys. I'll say this for what the military taught him though, my Dad can run a loaded, a plow, and back a trailer like no one you've ever seen. ;)

ANYHOW... with all of that said, I didn't serve so I feel extra responsible to do SOMETHING whenever an opportunity comes up (I don't even like camping so the military certainly wasn't for me... If they gave me an air conditioned bunker to shoot bad guys from I'd be happy as a pig in shit). I think vets donating is great, but you guys already paid yours and just I'm freeloading...

So... I guess it just depends on the person and most people are turds. Since it sounds like your employer is receptive to military causes, maybe you could ask about a straight up fundraiser (not paycheck deductions) for some orgs? It's MUCH easier for people to pull $1 out of their pocket once than it is to see their check get smaller for a year.

I just got some more interesting information... My Mom has worked at the VA for about 30 years and she just told me that she works with vets that don't even have $2-$3 to get a Y membership for water rehab and of course the VA doesn't have funds to pay for it. If her math is right, I don't have anything issue with paying for 40 months as long as its going directly to that treatment which is so beneficial.

Is that something USO can help with or is it more PVA or the Fallen Veterans?

It does chap my ass hardcore that if it is actually only $2 or $3 a month that our government doesn't do the right thing and just pay for it. Barack just hit me for about $800/yr for no damn reason at all.

The USO is a pretty good org. for service members. A word of caution though, there are other "service" organazations that are little better than theives in my book. Red Cross is one along with the wounded warrior project. The wwp takes a 60 percent cut for adminastrative purposes. The 40 percent that they disburse to help vets goes to organizations that does the same, so very little of donations make it to the vets. Any tax exempt orginization must disclose publicy the amount of each donation that actually reaches the intended party. Please check out the organization before donating 

You aren't kidding. That is one of the biggest reasons why I left DOD and DISA.  What a freak'n joke.  It was like being in Vietnam.  Hooking each other up with jobs, which is suppose to be illegal, it's done all the time.  I really don't care what you are, but I do care about what you know. and you damn well better speak English. None of those two statements applied.  I just couldn't deal with the broken English, the incompetency and the thought of them retiring on the Tax Payer dollars back to Vietnam to be 'Numba Wun Big Cool Man'.  Vietnamese aren't the only ones trust me, but they have a HUGE click in DOD.

The USO is a pretty good org. for service members. A word of caution though, there are other "service" organazations that are little better than theives in my book. Red Cross is one along with the wounded warrior project. The wwp takes a 60 percent cut for adminastrative purposes. The 40 percent that they disburse to help vets goes to organizations that does the same, so very little of donations make it to the vets. Any tax exempt orginization must disclose publicy the amount of each donation that actually reaches the intended party. Please check out the organization before donating 

Blackknight, you are spot on.  We use to be pushed all of the time to support things like the Red Cross, Navy Relief Society, etc, until I learned about how much of the money actually goes to the cause.  I quit preaching it and was called on the carpet for it more then once.  When I was a Corporal in Hawaii, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I sure as hell didn't have the money for a plane ticket then, so I went to the Navy Relief Society for help.  Basically told to pound sand.  What a joke.  Then the CEO and others were found guilty of theft, along with their huge mansions and yacht's.  Oh yeah, I am careful.  But I can say that I have spent many of wonderful hours in USO's that without really would have made a bad situation worse. I have and always will be thankful for them.

Edited by sjgusmc21
But I can say that I have spent many of wonderful hours in USO's that without really would have made a bad situation worse. I have and always will be thankful for them.

That's good news. That is exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for your service and I'm glad they could help you out. I'll be a lifelong donor.

But I can say that I have spent many of wonderful hours in USO's that without really would have made a bad situation worse. I have and always will be thankful for them.

That's good news. That is exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for your service and I'm glad they could help you out. I'll be a lifelong donor.

That is good news.  I have one in the MC now with new friends from MI and San Diego.  He has plenty of time to enjoy the USO.  He last used it to change his clothes before reporting in for combat training.

You aren't kidding. That is one of the biggest reasons why I left DOD and DISA.  What a freak'n joke.  It was like being in Vietnam.  Hooking each other up with jobs, which is suppose to be illegal, it's done all the time.  I really don't care what you are, but I do care about what you know. and you damn well better speak English. None of those two statements applied.  I just couldn't deal with the broken English, the incompetency and the thought of them retiring on the Tax Payer dollars back to Vietnam to be 'Numba Wun Big Cool Man'.  Vietnamese aren't the only ones trust me, but they have a HUGE click in DOD.

Blackknight, you are spot on.  We use to be pushed all of the time to support things like the Red Cross, Navy Relief Society, etc, until I learned about how much of the money actually goes to the cause.  I quit preaching it and was called on the carpet for it more then once.  When I was a Corporal in Hawaii, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I sure as hell didn't have the money for a plane ticket then, so I went to the Navy Relief Society for help.  Basically told to pound sound.  What a joke.  Then the CEO and others were found guilty of theft, along with their huge mansions and yacht's.  Oh yeah, I am careful.  But I can say that I have spent many of wonderful hours in USO's that without really would have made a bad situation worse. I have and always will be thankful for them.

I do the same before contributing to "Christian" organizations such as World Vision.

Yes, they are great for so many reason's.  TV, showering, good, in-expensive food, I guess internet by now, but can't confirm that as their was no wi-fi when I was in.  Made many of free 'home phone calls' from the USO's, back when there was no Cell Phones or Texting (walls line with phone booths).  Made one very homesick and confused young man very happy.  Not to mention my friends as well.  The USO is indeed a worthy cause.

Side Note:  How goes it with your Marine Wolverine?  My best friend (which was one of my best NCO's in the Corps) will be deploying on his 5TH combat tour (two Iraq, 3 Afghan).  I am so freak'n pissed about that.  Regardless he will be fine. 

That is good news.  I have one in the MC now with new friends from MI and San Diego.  He has plenty of time to enjoy the USO.  He last used it to change his clothes before reporting in for combat training.

It seems very weird to me that there isn't another place for our soldiers to do those types of basic human activities that are required for their duty. Friendly places to go, hot meals, phone calls, travel, etc, all makes sense, but it is sort of mind blowing that someone may need to just change clothes before COMBAT training and not have another place to go. I'm starting to get the full idea of how much they are doing.

I can change clothes in about 10 different locations at work if I wanted to and my place of employment was built in 1963. It's funny the little things you don't think about until they're important.

Yes, they are great for so many reason's.  TV, showering, good, in-expensive food, I guess internet by now, but can't confirm that as their was no wi-fi when I was in.  Made many of free 'home phone calls' from the USO's, back when there was no Cell Phones or Texting (walls line with phone booths).  Made one very homesick and confused young man very happy.  Not to mention my friends as well.  The USO is indeed a worthy cause.

Side Note:  How goes it with your Marine Wolverine?  My best friend (which was one of my best NCO's in the Corps) will be deploying on his 5TH combat tour (two Iraq, 3 Afghan).  I am so freak'n pissed about that.  Regardless he will be fine. 

My son is doing great.  He just returned to San Diego for combat training following a 10 day leave and 7 days of Recruiter's Assistant duty.  When he finishes in San Diego he will be going for MOS training in Pensacola for 90 days There are two more training phases for his MOS after this before moving on to his first assignment.  His work will be classified.  He is happy and that is all I can ask.  I think his choice of the Corp was a good one over $100,000 in college costs followed by a non-existent job.  Besides, Uncle Sam will help with his educational costs as he develops.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends deployment.  Iraq and Afghanistan are tragedies.  What a waste in lives, blood and treasure.  Those people do not deserve our help.  They will always live in the dark ages.  I hope your friend escapes unscathed physically and emotionally.

I have great news... One of our highly respected vendors contacted me about donating! I don't want to name a name yet since I don't know if they want me to, but I'm very excited that a couple of PMs may result in some more cash for USO!

Thanks again to everyone that has donated!