I've had problems with second hand  aftermarket wheels and lug nuts forever. It's a Ford ranger that the previous owner put mags on and every 4 way or lug wrench I try will not fit. Can anyone help me figure this out. Had to use a fucking wrench at an angle once to change the tire!

aftermarket wheel studs from summitracing.com and possibly a new set of lug nuts as well but only if any of the threading is damaged.

-Stein

sorry I misread.

umm, buy proper size wrench, socket, or 4way that fits the lug nut maybe??deadhorse.gif

im assuming you have the "tuner style" lugs, average size is 19mm, get a metric 4way.

It's not a matter of the id of the wrench or socket or 4way... it's the thickness of said devices. There's so little of a gap only thin walled sockets are the only thing I've found to fit.

It does mock the Mazda truck but the mags have Ford lug covers, I'd think the 3/4" would be correct but maybe 19mm is it

i had a 4way that fit my motegi wheels with the special lugs.

check les schwab and see if you can get a socket to do the job and you may have to stick with a 1/2" drive ratchet or a torque wrech with that special socket.

shitty thing about that is that you have to carry that tool with you in your vehicle instead of having it at home where it probably belongs.

or any neighborhood auto zone, o'reilly, etc

My last two cars came with 2-pc. lug nuts. Those cheap things are terrible! I replace them with Gorilla lug nuts, and I always use a breaker bar with a 6-point socket. :)

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

I've used Stanley sockets from wally world to get this done.  They have a pretty thin wall.  But I'm guessing you probably need some wafer thin socket???

Edited by Big John!

My last two cars came with 2-pc. lug nuts. Those cheap things are terrible! I replace them with Gorilla lug nuts, and I always use a 1/12" breaker bar with a 6-point socket.  smile.png

I have Gorilla nuts on my Jeep because of the same issue... Hilariously, the Gorilla nuts are a larger wrench size than stock so I had to cut the head off of my factory lug wrench, find another wrench of the appropriate size, and weld them together so it would all fit in the factory jack kit.

That said, Gorilla also makes the sockets that the OP is looking for and he could cut one up and weld it on to his factory wrench the same say I did.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/thin-wall-sockets-page-02

edit: Oh, yeah... They're only about $7/ea..

Edited by Maxwelhse

I’ve hit a point with lug nuts and the tools provided with the vehicle that I carry a 3 foot breaker bar and a 6 point socket to get them off. Most of my vehicles come with a lug wrench roughly the size and usefulness of a tooth brush at removing a nut applied with an air hammer.

You've been messing around for a week to get a single wheel off? No can do...

Without more playing around, I'd honestly ditch those wheels and put some factory steelies on it unless you have a big aversion to doing so... It would probably cost you nothing after you trade your mags in if they're nice shape. My drivers need to be 100% functional above all else... If it's a show truck, then, well, buy more tools (and for God's sake... get AAA already... You could have pushed it into the street at let them fuck with it by now)...

Ive actually went well beyond a week on this junk. I bought a lug nut removal tool for the rounded  nut and theres not enough space for it to grab, I'm about to try a can of fix a flat and drive it to the damn spare tire to get a used tire and new nuts

I finally found a thin walled socket but ended up with a rounded off nut! Such a pita

I remember once, I had to break a lug off of an old car years ago to remove the nut. Wasn't fun. There is a special socket that addresses this problem, I would try and locate one and

give it a try.

post-13534-0-86087200-1395940886_thumb.jpeg

Edited by yakdung