I posted in the other thread about lawn mowers the issue with my Husqvarna rider... 2348LS... well, It has a blown motor... crack in the lower block, nd needs a new connecting rod, and probably a new piston as well...  The shop wanted about 1200 to fix... as a lower block unit is 700 alone... not counting the other parts and labor to rebuild it...

With all that issue and cost... we just got a new one...

Went with a Cub Cadet Z-Force SZ48

zforce0.jpg

zforce1.jpg

zforce2.jpg

We will see how this one holds up...

Now to get the cracked block in the Husq welded... and rebuild that... for a yard tractor....  :up:

:smoke:

so far I HATE the new mower...  I have been without one so long my grass is VERY TALL, and holds a lot of moisture.  so when I mow, the belts or SOMETHING gets wet under the mower and it has ZERO POWER to go up hills... I actually had to LEAVE IT in the lower yard, as I could NOT get it to go up the hill back to the driveway!!! I am NOT pleased about this... as when I bought it, I told them I MOW A LOT OF HILLS!!!! Well, what freakin good is it, if I cant get it up a hill if I happened to run over wet grass???

Once it dries out, it runs fine and will be just fine on a hill... but it shouldnt get that way regardless...  Thats just bullshit for a BRAND NEW 5 thousand dollar mower!!!!  WTF!

I was going to say we are really blessed when we have enough grass to warrant a good, new riding lawn mower. Now I hear your $new one$ is not working out so well. That is a real bummer.

Any way you can just return it? Maybe, maybe not. Have you considered just an old John Deere popping Johny small ""gentlemans" farm tractor? We had a 1949 model just for mowing grass.

It pulled a 6' wide gang reel grass mower just fine. Kinda overkill for 8-9 acres of grass and if we wanted to put in pasture grass we just used the PTO hay sickle, then we bailed it.

The down side is that older good small farm tractors with the needed mowing stuff are very expensive...but not close to five grand. Sorry your new mower is not working out. HB of CJ (old coot)

Sorry to hear that Indy.

Hopefully you can return it.

You should be able to if purchased on credit.

I returned a CAR once to Carmax for not having anti-lock brakes when they claimed it did.

Well... after the bitch dried out...  It mowed the last 3 acres of trees and hills without a hiccup, and did a VERY nice job!!!

It did everything it was supposed to, and fast..

The problem is... before... I was mowing foot tall grass that was wet, on spongy wet ground... Almost got it STUCK in the mud at one point...  It just DOESNT like to get wet!!!  WTF   Like I said... I think the drive belts get wet, and slip under load.... and thats the issue...  when its dry it performs as I expect it to... :up:

I guess I just gotta keep it DRY... I will have to nickname it " Gremlin "  LOL! :lol:

:smoke:

Well... after the bitch dried out...  It mowed the last 3 acres of trees and hills without a hiccup, and did a VERY nice job!!!

It did everything it was supposed to, and fast..

The problem is... before... I was mowing foot tall grass that was wet, on spongy wet ground... Almost got it STUCK in the mud at one point...  It just DOESNT like to get wet!!!  WTF   Like I said... I think the drive belts get wet, and slip under load.... and thats the issue...  when its dry it performs as I expect it to... 032.gif

I guess I just gotta keep it DRY... I will have to nickname it " Gremlin "  LOL! laugh.png

000.gif

I'm not sure how many riding mowers can take literally foot tall grass on spongy wet ground.  I'm sure there are some out there, but I wouldn't think that to be the norm.  My dad's Deere with 60" deck would not have taken that on without a pass with the deck up some.  

Sounds crazy, but I miss mowing his place.  I did it for him for about a year before he sold his property.  Took me about 2 1/2 hours, once (sometimes more) per week.  The mower was comfy and it was 2 1/2 hours outdoors with nobody bothering me.  If you ever want peace in your world, start doing yard work of any kind.  Everyone will avoid you like the plague in fear of being asked to help.

• Like 1

ounds crazy, but I miss mowing his place.  I did it for him for about a year before he sold his property.  Took me about 2 1/2 hours, once (sometimes more) per week.  The mower was comfy and it was 2 1/2 hours outdoors with nobody bothering me.  If you ever want peace in your world, start doing yard work of any kind.  Everyone will avoid you like the plague in fear of being asked to help.

Mowing on a rider is one of the most peaceful times I have ever had in my lifetime. Just you and the grass with great bass from the mower. Need to get back to that at some point..........

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 2

I have an area of my back yard that I call "The Everglades"...... it can get to be foot tall wet grass like that.

Close to the septic tank, go figure.   smile.png    At least I have no hills to deal with.

I have to raise the deck and only cut about 6 inch paths at a time. It's still all too easy to plug up the grass

chute on the deck. Then I have to shut 'er down and pull all the wet grass out of it.

I never get any slips in the drive train even in the wet stuff though. I'm still mowin' with a damn near antique

Montgomery Wards 12HP Briggs rider (rebranded MTD I think). The old gal is fallin' apart though, I'll be lucky

to get a few more summers out of it. Front end is shot, mower deck has big rusty holes. Burns a bit of oil but

actually still runs pretty well.

Anyway.... Indy, I was thinking you could try some of that "belt dressing" for v-belts that makes them a bit tacky

and less likely to slip. That and check the tension on the belts.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 3

No experience with cub other than my wood splitter, different ball park.

I do have hills to deal with. For me it's a matter of traction not power. I find if I run the drive tires at about 4-5 psi it hooks up a lot better than the recommended pressure.

Picked up this old Honda rider used about 10 years ago. Damn thing runs like a sewing machine. I wish they still made them but alas Honda riders are no more.

The belt dressing might be worth a shot, also could look into V-belts with cogs or notches in the narrow side for better gripping on the sheave wet or dry.

post-39558-0-51946800-1401080734_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like the old Honda mower.

>>For me it's a matter of traction not power.

When the Wards mower I have was new, it had super cheap rear tires on it.

More like thin rubber balloons, and one of them punctured quickly.

Replaced the rear tires with ATV/Quad tires and they have been great for wet grass and mud.

• Like 2

I'm still mowin' with a damn near antique

Montgomery Wards 12HP Briggs rider (rebranded MTD I think). The old gal is fallin' apart though, I'll be lucky

to get a few more summers out of it. Front end is shot, mower deck has big rusty holes. Burns a bit of oil but

actually still runs pretty well.

I ran a Montgomery Ward very similar to this when I lived in Iowa.  I came in smelling like exhaust more than grass.  Sumbitch was a bad ass though.  Always started, never got stuck in the ditch out front, and would mow a pretty good chunk o' grass w/o clogging up.  Only problem I ever had with clogs were grass getting into the belt and throwing it once in a great while.  That fucker had no safety equipment left on it and go figure I never got hurt.  I didn't even wear a helmethaha.gif

160889504_-ward-mtd-12-hp-briggs-42-inch

Edited by Big John!
  • Like 3

ounds crazy, but I miss mowing his place.  I did it for him for about a year before he sold his property.  Took me about 2 1/2 hours, once (sometimes more) per week.  The mower was comfy and it was 2 1/2 hours outdoors with nobody bothering me.  If you ever want peace in your world, start doing yard work of any kind.  Everyone will avoid you like the plague in fear of being asked to help.

Mowing on a rider is one of the most peaceful times I have ever had in my lifetime. Just you and the grass with great bass from the mower. Need to get back to that at some point..........

Me too Dad, me too...

I'll never forget mowing my dad's property and always taking a break when I'd mow the trails around the bass pond.  I took that shit for granted when I was doing it.  My dad sold the property years ago, but I'd mow the fucker for them for free just for the experience and a couple hours to myself with the pond.  Too bad they are almost two states away now or I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

All you guys missing the mowing, I got an acre of yard in southeast Georgia you can mow, hell, I'll even supply the riding mower & gas. Just wash mower down when you finish to get the sweat off. I'll check back in when I get back from fishing! biggrin.png  You're welcome!

• Like 3

All you guys missing the mowing, I got an acre of yard in southeast Georgia you can mow, hell, I'll even supply the riding mower & gas. Just wash mower down when you finish to get the sweat off. I'll check back in when I get back from fishing! biggrin.png  You're welcome!

Fly me down there.  I could use a damn vacation.

• Like 2

>>That fucker had no safety equipment left on it and go figure I never got hurt.  I didn't even wear a helmethaha.gif

Yep, mine had a switch that shut down the engine if you went into reverse with the blades running.

That silly switch didn't last long. I left the switch that shuts down the engine if you get off the seat

with the blades running. I figured that would be a good thing if my wife or kid ever ran the mower.

Turns out I could have disabled that one too.   smile.png

Edited by Spartacus

I left the switch that shuts down the engine if you get off the seat

with the blades running. I figured that would be a good thing if my wife or kid ever ran the mower.

Turns out I could have disabled that one too.   :)

That's funny, I thought the same ting as I was placing a jumper in the seat switch. Turns out I've never had to worry about it either.

It had to be disable with the side hill work I need to stand on the uphill running board to keep it from going on its side.

• Like 2

Had it picked up by the dealer first thing this morning...  they are going to look at it and see whats up... SOMETHING has to be out of adjustment...  it just isnt RIGHT... 

We will see...

I left the switch that shuts down the engine if you get off the seat

Turns out I could have disabled that one too.   smile.png

That's funny, I thought the same ting as I was placing a jumper in the seat switch. Turns out I've never had to worry about it either.

It had to be disable with the side hill work I need to stand on the uphill running board to keep it from going on its side.

I had to side hill dad's Deere.  I stood way out to the side and had to hold the seat back down to keep the bastard going.  I shoulda disabled the damn thing.  Hard to get your feet under a 60" deck, so I'm thinking I would have had huge problems already if the blades were able to get to me.

• Like 1

Had it picked up by the dealer first thing this morning...  they are going to look at it and see whats up... SOMETHING has to be out of adjustment...  it just isnt RIGHT... 

We will see...

Got it back yet?

yuppers. got it back yesterday. Seems the brake was out of adjustment with the pulleys for the drive system...  brake handle feels BETTER now, as well, it used to seem awful HARD to move. Mower seems to be running just fine now... :)

Oh no.. You found my spring time weakness... Yellow Tractors... Mine are only about 40 years older than yours.

I'm not sure how many riding mowers can take literally foot tall grass on spongy wet ground.

Both of my Cubs pull that trick off just fine. You're just going really SLOW doing it and the first cut isn't very good. I had a patch in my yard that had some grass (weeds if I'm honest) that were up to the headlights. These are 1970s tractors that don't have fancy sloped hoods, so I'm basically saying it was nearly up to the steering wheel. I've had some health problems combined with equipment problems (like I said.. 40 year old equipment) and didn't get out to mow for the first time until just over a week ago. It was TALL.

Replaced the rear tires with ATV/Quad tires and they have been great for wet grass and mud.

That's exactly what I was going to say... Put some Ag tires on it and it won't be a problem anymore! Not sure if they would tear up the yard on a zero turn or not. I'm going to guess with a steering wheel instead of levers that the machine is less prone to being "jerky" so it may be ok.

so far I HATE the new mower...  I have been without one so long my grass is VERY TALL, and holds a lot of moisture.  so when I mow, the belts or SOMETHING gets wet under the mower and it has ZERO POWER to go up hills... I actually had to LEAVE IT in the lower yard, as I could NOT get it to go up the hill back to the driveway!!! I am NOT pleased about this... as when I bought it, I told them I MOW A LOT OF HILLS!!!! Well, what freakin good is it, if I cant get it up a hill if I happened to run over wet grass???

Once it dries out, it runs fine and will be just fine on a hill... but it shouldnt get that way regardless...  Thats just bullshit for a BRAND NEW 5 thousand dollar mower!!!!  WTF!

google "UCC fitness for a particular purpose."

Oh no.. You found my spring time weakness... Yellow Tractors... Mine are only about 40 years older than yours.

I'm not sure how many riding mowers can take literally foot tall grass on spongy wet ground.

Both of my Cubs pull that trick off just fine. You're just going really SLOW doing it and the first cut isn't very good. I had a patch in my yard that had some grass (weeds if I'm honest) that were up to the headlights. These are 1970s tractors that don't have fancy sloped hoods, so I'm basically saying it was nearly up to the steering wheel. I've had some health problems combined with equipment problems (like I said.. 40 year old equipment) and didn't get out to mow for the first time until just over a week ago. It was TALL.

That's exactly what I was going to say... Put some Ag tires on it and it won't be a problem anymore! Not sure if they would tear up the yard on a zero turn or not. I'm going to guess with a steering wheel instead of levers that the machine is less prone to being "jerky" so it may be ok.

Got to love the IH Cubs. I've got a 1450 myself. Wife keeps telling me to quit being cheap and buy a new one. (Wish she had the same mentality about my guns...) Once I finally do have to rebuild the motor, it will out last me. Good luck getting any of the new tractors to live half that long.

As I mentioned... it was out of adjustment... once they tweaked it proper... it seems to be running just fine, with all the power it should have... they had a second at the shop, brand new, they had to adjust  the same as mine, as well... guess they are coming from the manufacturer buggered up...