Nothing on the McDonalds menu is impossible to automate. Most chain restaurants could go 70%+ automated. That is many million jobs sent to china in the form of imported robotics.

It would be better if all the fast food places rolled out a rule that 60% of their workers should make $X over minimum wage. $15 an hour starting pay is just going to cause massive inflation.

However we are starting to get to a point that so many national chain companies are minimum wage employers, that even intelligent hard working people are getting stuck working at a wage that allows little "living".

Mandating minimum wages is bad for everyone, encouraging large national companies to increase their middle class workers is a good idea.

• Like 1

As the world gets more automated, more jobs will be lost. It will in turn force people to seek work at much lower wages, and push them into dependency on government handouts.

• Like 1

All of those fast food type jobs are for teenagers, still living at home saving up for a car or cash for school ect.

You have to be a total low class moron to think that kind of job is a career, and it should have a pay scale you can support a family on.

Get a freekin grip!

Stop having sex and kids at 13 with no responsibility for your actions.

Heres an idea... go to school for an education, not to party with your bros

Work to better yourself, stop bitching about the people who worked to get ahead.

You are not entitled to what others worked hard to EARN.

If you contribute nothing....you deserve nothing

• Like 3

And a huge portion  that money gets flushed into the septic system of entitlements.

Meanwhile the border is a joke, vets are ignored 47 million people are in the soup line called food stamps.

Our military is down sized to pathetic levels.

Govt stops every project that could create jobs. or make energy less costly

All the time taking in more money in taxes  than any time in human history.

GRRRRRR

Interestingly the tax rate is lower now than it has been in the past. It was significantly higher in the 40s and 50s.

So the reason is more likely due to other factors.

The union is a shadow of what it was, yet during those times it was possible to turn a profit. I'd guess because we mostly exported manufactured goods and bought things made here, including fuel, that money sort of built up throughout the economy.

• Like 1

Want to know why jobs are vanishing in the US? Take a gander at the attached chart. Corporations have stock holders they aren't in business to make you happy.

attachicon.gifcit.png

Many countries have a VAT tax. So their respective corporate tax is lower. You still pay just in a different tax. Ireland is one such example.

• Like 1

Silly me.  I wanted a raise so I went to college and got an engineering degree.  I didn't walk a picket line protesting my employer for not paying me more than I was worth.

No grants.  No rich parents.  Just student loans and working 40+ hours while going to school 20 hours a week.

I grew up Arkansas poor.  I was the first of my family to join the military.  I was the first of my family to get a degree.

I pulled myself up out of poverty with determination and hard work.  Now I make a decent living.  So that makes me one of the "fortunate"? 

I was fortunate that I was born in a country where I could pull myself up out of poverty with hard work.  And that's why I have no sympathy for those who take handouts and bitch about the minimum wage.

• Like 9

Silly me.  I wanted a raise so I went to college and got an engineering degree.  I didn't walk a picket line protesting my employer for not paying me more than I was worth.

No grants.  No rich parents.  Just student loans and working 40+ hours while going to school 20 hours a week.

I grew up Arkansas poor.  I was the first of my family to join the military.  I was the first of my family to get a degree.

I pulled myself up out of poverty with determination and hard work.  Now I make a decent living.  So that makes me one of the "fortunate"? 

I was fortunate that I was born in a country where I could pull myself up out of poverty with hard work.  And that's why I have no sympathy for those who take handouts and bitch about the minimum wage.

Awesome!

Familiar story,  and can only happen in The USA for how much longer I dont know

• Like 2

+1
  • Like 1

Good thing I know how to program, set up, operate and maintain robots and cnc machines. I'll lose it if I see an ad for McD's hiring industrial maintenance mechanics! I remember making $3.35/hr at my first after school job. It sucked, but I was a shelf stocker and I knew when I turned 18 there were all kinds of good jobs out there. Sadly, those days are long gone due to outsourcing, population, and technology. The digital age has made so many physical things obsolete that there are never going to be as many "make stuff" jobs as there were.

• Like 2

I'd bet your story/my story (same story different location) is repeated over and over on this forum. I think most of us here have been used to doing shit for ourselves, thus we are attracted to these guns, this site, and each other.

• Like 4

that even intelligent hard working people are getting stuck working at a wage that allows little "living".

I agree with much of what you've said, except this, nobodies STUCK at a job, they always have a choice.

Many will chose the low pay because of other choices they deem less desirable.

I've been self employeed since I was 20, I was partially self employeed since 13, beginning with mowing lawns after work and on saturday.

• Like 1

Same here. I have been slugging it out since I was thirteen. Managed to save little by little and retired at 49. My net worth is higher than all of my five bothers and sisters combined. Wasn't magic just had mister "rule of 72" on my side.

Be safe,

• Like 1

I'd bet your story/my story (same story different location) is repeated over and over on this forum. I think most of us here have been used to doing shit for ourselves, thus we are attracted to these guns, this site, and each other.

You got that right.

Seems that what we're dealing with here is the participation trophy crowd after puberty. Living in a culture of envy and entitlement. It's been drilled into their heads from their first soccer game. Competition is mean and evryone gets a trophy. We weren't given trophies for losing the game we got told if you would have practiced more, run faster, thrown farther you might have done better. Now get to work and practice and maybe the game next week will go better.

• Like 2