So, I want to have my bolt and carrier done in TiN.  I found a local place that will do it for $75 but they want to know what type of steel.

Can anyone help me out?  Maybe I am using the wrong search terms?

Here is an example for shits and giggles.  Love it.
QxS9fuS.jpg

Yeah, I knew it was a carbon steel.  I'll give the company another call.  I was pretty vague on what I was having done in case they refuse to do gun parts.
I just told them it was a specialized small piston and cam and that it was hardened steel.  Haha.

Given how little it tends to rust and how nicely it takes a polish I'd say its some sort of high nickle "tool steel". As most TiN coated cutters are just HSS under the coating I would suspect that it would be just fine. I would think just about any steel would take it but durability would be compromised in certain cases. Since it there is absolutely no reason to have a coating like TiN added other than esthetics, I don't think it matters much.

• Like 1

Just to be different.  I was originally planning on having it done with Nickel Boron which looks kinda like a matte finish that a lot of AK carriers have.
Then I thought of Titanium Nitride and that I had, up until yesterday never seen an AK carrier done in TiN so I wanted to be different.

Actually I just noticed today that Fitty (on here) had his 74 done.

10584515_1481579975421636_2044155449_n.j

10554163_1536733513216664_1307324609_n.j

• Like 1

I've been looking at doing this to my 109+132's carriers since they were blasted bare matte 4-5yrs ago and are starting to show corrosion. I was looking into nickel boron too but have been leaning towards hard chrome.

Curious to see how yours turns out and what the local place has to say.

• Like 1

It would wear way to fast and just generally look like poo.

The part of the carrier you see shouldn't really be rubbing on anything. It should hold up fairly well if you prep it correctly. All of the other things that end up plated are all hidden when the gun is static anyhow and are essentially money wasted even if you just want the look. Are you really going to run with the cover off just to admire the plating?

I've never tried it, but you could also anodize it instead and pick whatever color you can imagine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7155639_anodize-steel.html

It would wear way to fast and just generally look like poo.

The part of the carrier you see shouldn't really be rubbing on anything. It should hold up fairly well if you prep it correctly. All of the other things that end up plated are all hidden when the gun is static anyhow and are essentially money wasted even if you just want the look. Are you really going to run with the cover off just to admire the plating?

I've never tried it, but you could also anodize it instead and pick whatever color you can imagine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7155639_anodize-steel.html

Paint doesn't hold up to solvents very well, aid in ease of cleaning, or have a natural lubricity to it. It does wear heavily on the exposed areas, it rubs the dust cover and gets beat up by ejected casings. painting is a cheap fix but nothing more.

• Like 3

I've been looking at doing this to my 109+132's carriers since they were blasted bare matte 4-5yrs ago and are starting to show corrosion. I was looking into nickel boron too but have been leaning towards hard chrome.

Curious to see how yours turns out and what the local place has to say.

I'll update the thread when I get can get it done.  AR is getting sent out for Burnt Bronze on the 8th so my current fun money is going to that.

This will be next though, so won't be too long.

Just to be different.  I was originally planning on having it done with Nickel Boron which looks kinda like a matte finish that a lot of AK carriers have.

Then I thought of Titanium Nitride and that I had, up until yesterday never seen an AK carrier done in TiN so I wanted to be different.

A few more parts like that and you'll be Saddam in no time!

• Like 1

A few more parts like that and you'll be Saddam in no time!

I only did the internals....lol

if you could get the parts done in a matte silver I could see the allure - and hopefully for cheap.

not into the gold look myself.

I didn't do it for the gold look....I did it for the benefit of TiN coated internals 

• Like 3

I'm curious about what benefits you suspect you've achieved with TiN on AK parts. TiN is pretty hard but it generally doesn't do a ton to reduce friction. TiN coatings are so thin they usually carry over the surface finish of the substrate they're deposited on without a ton of deviation. Your bolt carrier is already WAY harder than the receiver so I'm not really sure what the gain is.

I'm especially curious about the FCG...

I'm curious about what benefits you suspect you've achieved with TiN on AK parts. TiN is pretty hard but it generally doesn't do a ton to reduce friction. TiN coatings are so thin they usually carry over the surface finish of the substrate they're deposited on without a ton of deviation. Your bolt carrier is already WAY harder than the receiver so I'm not really sure what the gain is.

I am going to guess you're talking to BLK-HWK-VET.

I AM doing it for the color.

AND it does not fit the definition of a suppressor, so no paperwork or fees to own!

Huh?

I am going to guess you're talking to BLK-HWK-VET.

I AM doing it for the color.

Yep! :) Should have quoted it I guess.

• Like 1

I know it is only 3 microns deep into the base metal but even with the carrier being harder it will dissipate heat better and the other internals I did for wear. Also the clean up is easier in my opinion.

Ok so Im biracial and my black half just informed me that part of my decision was for the "bling"....LMFAO!

• Like 4