This why I carry a backup, even if it is just a NAA .22lr, probably soon to be changed with an LCP/9 or something. Also, this is why concealed carry is important, but being a dumbass, as the above comment clearly pointed out, displaying your firearm at 2:00 a.m. where it's obviously not a good place to be will likely end poorly as we see here.

Good example of why open carry is hardly ever the best option for self defense. Not that I don't support his right to do it, but this could have ended a lot worse.

Hardly ever. It is quicker to draw. It creates unwanted attention. It does keep people honest most of the time.

I do believe there is a great difference between open carry and stupid carry.

What the hell are you doing out at 2am with your first legal pistol, showing off your new gear to others. This falls under STUPID CARRY!

• Like 2

This why I carry a backup, even if it is just a NAA .22lr, probably soon to be changed with an LCP/9 or something.

While I agree with carrying a backup.  How would that have helped here?  Gonna shoot the young lad in the back as he's running away with your gun?  Good luck with that.

Plain and simple.  When you open carry, you IMO, are an easy target.  I already know that you have a weapon and exactly where it is.  I do not open carry for just this reason.

Dude was a dumbass...  Period!

• Like 1

Why do people think open carry makes you safer? 

Every gang banger 'gangsta' wanna be is looking to 'git me a gat'. If you walk around with with your gun on display for God and all the world to see, sooner or later someone will decide to 'git ME that gat' and smash you in the head with an alley apple and TAKE it!

You may have Dirty Harry's 44 mag on your hip, but if you have no street smarts (situational awareness) in your head then you are just another target.

• Like 3