Knowledge of Water Softeners, Anyone???

I have an old Rainsoft water treatment system, deionizer tank, brine tank, and charcoal tank.

So this system is close to 20 years old, it has the old brass valve with old style timer, lots of moving parts. I'm tired of spending money on it, so I'm thinking of converting it to a new style valve. My question is, have any of you tried this yourself, or do any of you perform this type of work professionally? I'm looking for first hand advice here, not the general baseless opinions. I am certain that I can do the conversion, but product advice would be great, and of course any professional tips.

Thanks folks  wink.png

post-13516-0-03351900-1413247893_thumb.jpg

post-13516-0-85383200-1413248024_thumb.jpg

Edited by AA re-cvrd

Just this afternoon I had a company come to my house to check out my system as it wasn't working properly.  He cleaned it up got it working in about 15 min, I now know a place to clean that I didn't know before.

I asked him if this was a good system and he replyed that they have replaced 90% of the timer/head areas of them.  I asked how much and he said around $650 for them to do it. He told me to just clean it when I had a problem.  My system is 10 years old.

Edited by Racer 27

Have been looking at new ones for the new place. Looking at starting $1500 all the way up 5K. Just have to wait for the water testing after closing be fore I decide what needs to be installed. 

Some of the newer models don't use salt, comes at a price though. If it is just a softener, go check out Lowes. You might also want to re-test the water and see if what you need prior to making changes.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

What would the cost of parts be involved updating this older unit? It might be more cost effective to purchase a new unit.

A like system is over $4,000.00 installed. A new, upgraded valve/head is about $400.00 DIY, I think I've already decided to convert it, was looking for some professional advice.

Thanks to ALL cool.png

I just bought a new house(well old but new for us), and it has a water softner.  I'm used to them being my parents had well water.  anyone have any recommendation on where to get some water tests done, or if there are any good DIY testing that can be done?

I just bought a new house(well old but new for us), and it has a water softner.  I'm used to them being my parents had well water.  anyone have any recommendation on where to get some water tests done, or if there are any good DIY testing that can be done?

I found this place (softnerparts dot com), read some good reviews and found where folks actually recommended them on other sites. There are testing kits that you can get to DIY, look around on the web.

We are probably going to order this one (Fleck 5600 Econominder Controller) as a replacement for the RainSoft head. A similar head from RainSoft is $1500.00  amazing.gif