Thanks for posting that John, good vid, I will also be checking Virginia law now also, as I have noticed an explosion of unmarked vehicles around here in the past couple of years.

Not a fan of unmarked cars.  Too much can go wrong with this.

Thanks for posting that John, good vid, I will also be checking Virginia law now also, as I have noticed an explosion of unmarked vehicles around here in the past couple of years.

Not a fan of unmarked cars.  Too much can go wrong with this.

I did a little poking around but haven't found any specific statute yet. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be doing it here.

LOL... that dude's got some huge brass balls to do that!   haha.gif

Good thing he did the video and made it public. He still may get some very negative feedback from law enforcement on this.

There have been cases of cops pulling over other cops and often the good cop insisting on playing by the book was the one

who got the raw deal. They often got fired or even threatened by other officers.

Let's hope this guy doesn't suffer any consequences.

I doubt its actually unlawful to operate an unmarked car.

If state police and Sheriffs are doing it Im pretty sure its legal.

NOT.

It's only legal for administrative type non enforcement work. They just count on peoples ignorance of the law.

Eta, http://salem-news.com/articles/september292011/unmarked-victory.php

Edited by Long Shot

A controversial practice I guess

Ya think?

Most people in the Spokane area know the story of what happened to Pastor Wayne Scott Creach. In August of 2010, he went outside at night to investigate a suspicious car that was trespassing upon his property at the Plant Farm Nursery. The car was an unmarked police cruiser driven by Deputy Brian Hirzel.

Pastor Creach had no way of knowing that, however, until after Hirzel had seen him approaching while armed. Creach put his weapon away, but the situation ended with the pastor’s death. The shooting was recently found justified in review processes that the Creach family was completely excluded from.

The incident has brought a number of issues with law enforcement to light, and among them is the fact that police use of unmarked cars, such as the one driven by Hirzel, is illegal under Washington law.

not so cut and dried after all

This section shall not apply to vehicles of a sheriff's office, local police department, or any vehicles used by local peace officers under public authority for special undercover or confidential investigative purposes. 

(3) Subsection (2) of this section shall not apply to vehicles used by the Washington state patrol for general undercover or confidential investigative purposes. Traffic control vehicles of the Washington state patrol may be exempted from the requirements of subsection (2) of this section at the discretion of the chief of the Washington state patrol. The *department of general administration shall adopt general rules permitting other exceptions to the requirements of subsection (2) of this section for other vehicles used for law enforcement, confidential public health work, and public assistance fraud or support investigative purposes, for vehicles leased or rented by the state on a casual basis for a period of less than ninety days, and those provided for in **RCW 46.08.066(3). The exceptions in this subsection, subsection (4) of this section, and those provided for in **RCW 46.08.066(3) shall be the only exceptions permitted to the requirements of subsection (2) of this section.

"Traffic control vehicles of the Washington state patrol may be exempted from the requirements of subsection (2) of this section at the discretion of the chief of the Washington state patrol."

This is what confused me about the legal mumbo jumbo.  Is a patrol vehicle a "traffic control" vehicle.  Or is traffic control simply the guys who direct traffic at an accident scene or the like?

I can sure see why its controversial , and where the issue started with a tragedy .

but respectfully it does appear to be lawful, and certainly does not count on the ignorance of the people.

It's a dangerous practice, I think unmarked police vehicles should be left to those with a true NEED to conduct clandestine investigative work. The truth is that we have become a police state, you hardly take shit anymore without being charged with something. This is just another straw on the pile that is the US police state.

• Like 3

Ohio revised code forbids them. However, many local departments really skirt around the edge of this code. I have seen some in outright violation of it.

"ORC 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.
Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol."

I can sure see why its controversial , and where the issue started with a tragedy .

but respectfully it does appear to be lawful, and certainly does not count on the ignorance of the people.

What value does this add to the safety of John Q. Public?  

City of Birmingham had shit storm about their unmarked vehicles years back. To get around the ruling that they had to be marked, they put a SMALL, about 2", emblem of a PoPo badge on the front fenders, right near the door. It's not that hard to tell the dickhead sitting in a Crown Vic or Dodge Charger is a PoPo, when the windows and wheels are blacked out, stands out like a sore thumb. But they still rip and romp up and down the hi-ways like they own the damn place, running thru downtown on I-20/59 speed limit is 50mph, but I've seen them running 70-80 with no lights or siren, just cruising along.

City of Birmingham had shit storm about their unmarked vehicles years back. To get around the ruling that they had to be marked, they put a SMALL, about 2", emblem of a PoPo badge on the front fenders, right near the door. It's not that hard to tell the dickhead sitting in a Crown Vic or Dodge Charger is a PoPo, when the windows and wheels are blacked out, stands out like a sore thumb. But they still rip and romp up and down the hi-ways like they own the damn place, running thru downtown on I-20/59 speed limit is 50mph, but I've seen them running 70-80 with no lights or siren, just cruising along.

That's every day here, business as usual. Nothing to see here, move along now.....

I've got an eagle eye for them bastards.  I constantly watch my mirrors while fracturing speed laws.  Too many years of being a truck driver I guess.  If they didn't have radar, they'd never catch me.  I haven't had a ticket in almost ten years.  Guess they ain't doing so well even with radarhaha.gif

Just about everybody will speed at times ....thats ok but if you speed and then get mad if a cop speeds its called hypocrisy.

Police can and will run over the limit to intercept speeders ,and MANY speeding or reckless drivers  get called into dispatch every day.

You're surely not trying to tell us you guys only speed in the line of dutyhaha.gif haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif

I don't really get mad about that as I don't know for sure what officers are doing at the time.  What does piss me off is a leo friend whom told me he was doing 85 in a 65 in his personal vehicle, got pulled over, showed his badge, and went on his way.  He thought it was funny.  Me...  Not so much.

Just about everybody will speed at times ....thats ok but if you speed and then get mad if a cop speeds its called hypocrisy.

Police can and will run over the limit to intercept speeders ,and MANY speeding or reckless drivers  get called into dispatch every day.

You're surely not trying to tell us you guys only speed in the line of dutyhaha.gif haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif

I don't really get mad about that as I don't know for sure what officers are doing at the time.  What does piss me off is a leo friend whom told me he was doing 85 in a 65 in his personal vehicle, got pulled over, showed his badge, and went on his way.  He thought it was funny.  Me...  Not so much.

I said "just about everybody"....that does mean cops included

Using your badge to get out of a ticket is disgusting, with the right officer it could get you some well deserved trouble

My CCL, and polite nature, have gotten me out of plenty of minor speeding tickets, just the same.

Something about being on the "good guys" side, I think.

Most of the officers I know and work with feel That a motorist that is HONEST about an infraction and is nice to the officer .

Should be given a second chance, before a ticket, unless its a BLATANT violation 

Be a jerk or lie to an officer earns a different response

Most people with CCL are not the type to lie or be disrespectful to officers or anybody else for that matter

• Like 2

99.999% of the ones blowing thru downtown ARE NOT chasing a speeder or looking for one, most of them have an attitude. I have been pulled over numerous times(not in Bombingham) for speeding, and YEP, being honest, such as when he ask me if I know why he stopped me, "yep, I blowed by you like a bat out of hell, but I stopped before you even got going good". They are just doing their job, it ain't a nice one, but has to be done. I even told one when he asked me if I knew why he stopped me, "that he probably drove a Ford truck and had Dodge Cummins envy", he laughed his ass off, and said that actually he did drive a Ford, to slow down and be safe, if you aren't being an as swipe or doing something really stupid, most will cut you some slack and send you on your way, State Troopers are the easiest and best to deal with.