Homemade AK magazine benchloader

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 philrab

philrab

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

After looking at Maglula's AR benchloaders and lusting over them, I came to the conclusion I neither want to spend that much on one nor have much faith in them embracing our market.

So, yesterday, I decided to see what a redneck in a wood shop could manage.

Inspiration.
5qwc3xQ.jpg

First attempt didn't work, the radius was too tight causing the rounds to bind. Would only load 15 rounds at a time.
hltgjIh.jpg
yVXQG9q.jpg

So, onto version 2. This loader is substantially larger, but the radius of the loading ramp is much shallower. This leads to the initial round or to going into the mag butt first, but they straighten out on the follower and it hasn't been an issue. 30 rounds at a time no stopping.

mjSzXnK.jpg

Comments are welcome. I know plenty question the usefulness of benchloaders over normal hand loading, but it was a garage project and turned out well.

#2 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

Nicely done! That would make prepping for a range trip a breeze!

I wish I'd have though of it.

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#3 philrab

philrab

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

Nicely done! That would make prepping for a range trip a breeze!
I wish I'd have though of it.

If there's interest in reproducing it I'll share rough dimensions. Part of the issue is variance in magazines. This is made for Magpul Pmags, but slight differences in dimensions limit the ability to make a truly universal one. Hence the Bondo.

If you have a jigsaw and a router, some 1/2" plywood and 3/4" wood (I used MDF), and some wood glue and Bondo, this took a coupl hours to piece together.
  • G O B and Spacehog like this

#4 JESS1344

JESS1344

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

PHILRAB,

DUDE, PATENT THAT DAMNED THING, QUICKLY!

JESS1344

#5 _Boris_

_Boris_

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

Glorious!

#6 deadeye

deadeye

bloodshot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

I like it. More dimensions please
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own goverment."

George Washington

#7 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

PHILRAB,

JESS1344

He explicitly showed the prior art he was working from. Plus there are about a dozen other similar ideas on youtube. I don't think patents are going to happen. Still a good idea if you load a lot of mags, or have arthritis or something.

#8 philrab

philrab

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

PHILRAB,

JESS1344

He explicitly showed the prior art he was working from. Plus there are about a dozen other similar ideas on youtube. I don't think patents are going to happen. Still a good idea if you load a lot of mags, or have arthritis or something.

Arthritis isn't an issue, I just like to tinker.  Besides, when I talked to several people in the AK community that commented Maglula didn't make an AK benchloader, I took it as a challenge.  Now that I pieced this together as low tech as it is, I'm wondering what's holding a company back....

• XdamagedX, AZ_1 and GunFun like this

#9 GRPJr

GRPJr

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

pretty slick!

"I am not ashamed to admit, that I am ignorant of the things I do not know"!
Cicero
I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users