Got her the Cricket she wanted and she loved it!  

We went to the 50 yard range because it was empty.  I asked the range officer to talk to her before we started and she was a fish in the water.  This is her first target  on letter paper she printed out - the first ten of twenty were CB shorts; had to make sure she could feel comfortable.

All went well until the flanking tables were shooting 5.56 and 3.08. 

Had to make it a short day after that.

post-44675-0-83941300-1427138629_thumb.jpg

post-44675-0-55127400-1427138881_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thought of something else.

Not sure if your range allows it but kids seem to like reactive targets. Hell, I like reactive targets.

If your allowed get some bowling pins, clay pigeons, softballs or whatever. Its fun to watch them jump when you hit them.

Good job! She will get used to the sounds on the range with her ears on! How do you like the little cricket?

She needs earplugs and muffs when the bigger guns are going.  She was my Independence Day spoiler from day one.  Dad likes booms. 

The cricket, surprisingly enough, is ok.  Initially, I was concerned when she was practicing with it because the bolt would hang up.  I took it apart , blasted it w/some CLP and cleaned it and it's relatively smooth.  I think w/optics and a stable base she could do very well at 100 yards.  I think I might enjoy shooting it w/a longer stock. 

Thought of something else.

Not sure if your range allows it but kids seem to like reactive targets. Hell, I like reactive targets.

If your allowed get some bowling pins, clay pigeons, softballs or whatever. Its fun to watch them jump when you hit them.

State property.  Not like the good old days when we could do that.  That's why I let her print out the targets she wanted - zombie, raccoon, bad guy....

• Like 1

NICE BENCHES!!!!  Looks like she could use one of those stools that can be ajusted

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZJEwrc9LSksftqS4pDG0yQYT1QTn_LW1S83gAzsvHbrONRn2F&usqp=CAE

A buddy took one of these (not this model), removed the wheels then put a flat plate in its place.

Always nice to have fun with the family, thanks for sharing....

Edited by 308saiga

How old? my 10 year old daughter has been wanting one of those crickets for a while, but I feel like the gun wouldn't get too much use in just a few short years (from her growing out of it)

She'll be 11 soon.  It was an early birthday present.  I was worried about the stock as well but my daughter pointed out some really nice stocks they sell for the cricket in adult size.  As is, I think she will get a year or two out of it.

Had my daughter with me at the range several times, it was always a great time.

She liked the AK better, she said the S-12 was like getting punched in the shoulder.   

haha.gif

SPARTACUS,

GET ONE OF THE CROSSHAIR HYDRAULIC RECOIL BUFFERS.

I HAVE ONE ON MY S-12, AND WITH THAT AND A SNAP-ON LIMBSAVER PAD ON THE M4 STOCK, YOU CAN SHOOT 3" MAGS WITH NOT A HINT OF A BRUISE OR SORENESS.

BROWNELLS HAS 'EM IN STOCK $150; WORTH EVERY CENT.

JESS1344

• Like 1

She liked the AK better, she said the S-12 was like getting punched in the shoulder.   

:haha2:

SPARTACUS,

I HAVE ONE ON MY S-12, AND WITH THAT AND A SNAP-ON LIMBSAVER PAD ON THE M4 STOCK, YOU CAN SHOOT 3" MAGS WITH NOT A HINT OF A BRUISE OR SORENESS.

JESS1344

I got one of them, they are awesome! :D It can be hard to find a place that has them in stock though

haha.gif

SPARTACUS,

JESS1344

Thanks Jess.

I put a Kick-Lite stock on it since we last shot it but haven't tried it yet.

We'll see if it tames the slugs and heavy buck next time.

Edited by Spartacus