I recently purchased a new Smith and Wesson M P 10 in 308. It will not run Fedral lake city 7.62 x 51 or MKE 7.62 x 51 worth a darn short strokes might as well be a bolt action . My Saiga will spit it out all day . I purchased the S&W MP 10 after reading a review at buds gun shop somebody had put 500 round of Mke thru his .It will run the heck out of PMC 308b and hornady fast as you can pull the trigger , I haven't tried anything else yet . I probably should have went with the Sig 716 but my kids like to eat , but it is a good excuse to buy some more ammo . That's a good excuse to tell the wife right ? The gun doe shoot good running 308 ammo . it does run LIKE A SCALDED DOG with the Pmc 308B from SG. The only part I hate is that it wont run my mil-surplus . The gun shoots better than I do 1 inch moa at 100 yards with the pmc .

Thats not right at all.

Finicky accuracy with different ammo is one thing. But I'd be on the phone with S&W about warranty work.

It should eat anything like a starving Somali child.

Tell them if you wanted a bolt action you would've bought a new Ruger Precision.

• Like 3

AR's are too easy to work on with plenty of aftermarket support to give up on it because it won't run certain ammo. MKE is not underpowered so it should not be short stroking. To check load one round in the mag, chamber and fire, if the bolt locked back on the empty mag, then it is more likely bolt bounce and using a heavier buffer like an H2 or H3 may correct the problem.

If it is not locking back, I would check to make sure the gas block is properly aligned and secured with the set screws. After that check that the gas tube is free and clear.

I definitely wouldn't give up on it.

• Like 2

Darek, screw having to 'troubleshoot' a new S&W.

I wouldn't do anything to a new S&W AR10 besides send it back and tell them to make it right or send me a new one that does run right.

This isn't a rifle I'd be expecting to have to tinker with or modify to make it work properly.

The only things I'd want to change might be things like, trigger, comp/brake, iron sights or furniture.

• Like 3

I will be contacting Smith and Wesson next week . The owners manual says it should run anything in 7.62 x 51 with the Nato headstamp . I believe Lake City has this but I will have to dig in the closet again to make sure ,the manual says commercial manufacturers , Hornady ,Remington , Olin /Winchester , Pmc and Federal. I will be out of town this weekend so it will be Monday before I can contact them . I would like to find a box of American Eagle in 7.62 x 51 and a box of PPU in 308 to see how it runs . I expect it to run the Federal Lake City .

Edited by THE NEW GUY

Darek, screw having to 'troubleshoot' a new S&W.

I wouldn't do anything to a new S&W AR10 besides send it back and tell them to make it right or send me a new one that does run right.

This isn't a rifle I'd be expecting to have to tinker with or modify to make it work properly.

The only things I'd want to change might be things like, trigger, comp/brake, iron sights or furniture.

Understood Chile, and I agree you shouldn't have to replace parts on a new rifle to make it work. However it may be something very simple such as a improperly seated gas block or obstruction in the gas tube that the Op can quickly fix himself without additional expense instead of sending the gun in for warranty work.

If it requires new parts to run, then I agree, I would have S&W fix it on their own dime. But before that, I would definitely do some basic troubleshooting to see if I could determine what the issue was.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

My biggest concern would be tearing into it trying to find the problem, and then have them void the warranty if I couldn't find a simple solution.

This. Most any company will be happy to do the warranty work on something that isn't right. Give them an out by frigging with something and they will take it. Contact them ASAP and have them resolve it for you. If they don't fix it, never buy from them again.

I usually run 150 grain Hornady 150 grain sst , It ran it perfect also ran pmc 308b perfect . I tried the ZQI and it wouldn't cycle it, so I went and dug some Lake city out and it wouldn't run that , It would shoot one round eject it and would not load the next had to take out the mag pick up the shell put it back in pull back on the charging handle fire and repeat. I thought the MKE might be underpowered , the warranty says it should run anything with the nato cross. I haven't dug in the closet cause its a bitch to get out , to see if it has the nato cross . After that I put a 25 round p mag back in and it ran it as fast as I could pull the trigger. I am going to Piegon forge today and I am going to stop at a few gun stores and see if I can find some 7.62 x 51 just to try Sunday when I get back. The model number is 811311 it has a five star review one review says he ran 500 rounds of ZQ1 with zero problems , check OUT THE REVIEWS AT BUDS GUN SHOP S&W MP 10 MODEL 811311 I DO INTEND ON CONTACTING THEM MONDAY . IT HAS 10 REVIEWS WIH ALL 5 STARS . That was my reason for purchasing .

Edited by THE NEW GUY