This is my family pleasing venison stew.

Due to having lots of family in the house for the holidays I had to make two crockpots full.

Venison stew meat

Potatoes

Carrots

Onions

Celery

Salt & Pepper

Bay leaves

Thyme

Rosemary

Garlic herb mix

Flour

100_9259_zpsmlwqddov.jpg

Chop/cube all the vegetables for your needs, place in crockpot and season with two bay leaves (remove after cooking), thyme, rosemary and whatever you like. Sometimes I substitute frozen mixed vegetables and just chop the potato.

Season meat with salt/pepper, dredge in flour and brown in a skillet, add to the crockpot.

OK, this is where I deviate from the norm, dump on can each of the French Onion & Golden Mushroom soup atop the meat.

Add water to just cover, mix well.

Cook on Med for 6-7hrs, the venison will come out  falling apart in your mouth.

100_9262_zpsbmcz4nyj.jpg

100_9264_zpsgjfsmwd8.jpg

100_9254_zpstgvmpluj.jpg

100_9256_zpsaokinshk.jpg

100_9267_zpsg0rgebdl.jpg

100_9268_zpsuzafvafl.jpg

100_9269_zpswr9ffonb.jpg

Money shots to come this evening.

• Like 8

How badly hurt was that pesky deer?  Out here in Oregon if we are ham radio operators and if we have a CCP we can patch through to a phone line and tell the Sheriffs Office dispatcher we hit or observed a deer being hit by either us or others.  If the deer is still alive but mortally injured we can obtain legal authorization to dispatch the deer.  Shoot it.

Then ... I THINK there is a state law that allows in cold weather or if you see the actual accident and you shoot the deer then you can throw it in the trunk or pickup truck bed and take it home with you.  I suppose if the deer is not too badly dead one could simply process it and add it the aforementioned stock pot.  I wonder if it would taste the same?

Yumm yumm.

the best part of eating it is remembering all the BS you had to go through to get the animal to that point.

this year I dragged my buck up and over the better part of 2mi of rocky cliffs, shot about 9am and back to camp at 5pm. still haven't tasted him yet though.

my favorite was a cow we split with my wife's grandparents a few years back. shortly before he was slaughtered he escaped from the pasture and I had to chase him down in boots two sizes too small for me, then he stepped on my foot.

every time we took a bite of "cow" I felt satisfied, revenge is mine asshole

• Like 2

You too, eh? ;)

Man, that sounds good!

My friend in PA once hit/killed a deer, that caused almost $1500 damage to his truck. He used most of the venison that was left to make chili.

When we had some for dinner, I told him that at about $150/lb, this was some damn good chili!

He was not amused...

• Like 2