Police Use Computer Program to Predict Who is a Threat.

And you can bet the feds have a bigger better program and a MUCH bigger database.

"Real Time Crime Center"?  Minority Report?  If the precogs computers say it's so...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/the-new-way-police-are-surveilling-you-calculating-your-threat-score/2016/01/10/e42bccac-8e15-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html

Edited by Darth Saigus

Evidently not enough. So I will crawl underneath the next rock, while I show utter disdain for our current federal goverment and never pick up a rifle or support those who do unless I am assured that others feel exactly the way I do and will back me up.

Depends what data is used. I'm probably deemed not a threat, I pay my taxes, I'm not in debt, no restraining orders, no arrests, no traffic tickets.

Legal firearms owners are statistically a extremely law abiding group, it would be logical that firearms ownership would only bump you up the index as much as a speeding ticket.

I would guess this will be the next hot button issue in the coming years, because if you stuff existing crime data into a learning program, it is going to pump out results that would likely be deemed racist. The software is literally a profiling machine. 

Ideally software like this would be like having an experienced sheriff in a small county, it knows all the trouble makers and knows how to respond to each issue. 

If it works and actually reduces crime, it will be illegal... If it spies on the innocent then it will probably be upheld by all the courts.

• Like 4

Balancing act my ass.  Sounds like something right out of the book "1984".

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!

All hope lies in the proles.

Good excuse to trot this out then:

post-17871-0-03043000-1452657249.jpg

• Like 1

"A history including gang affiliations and a firearms conviction.." The computer said he was a high-risk.

California tax dollars at work.

At least I'm not on the "No Aeronautical Conveyance List", yet.

Oahu was nice. In-laws are still crazy.

Edited by Sim_Player