Hello:

I am interested in having a custom .300 Win.Mag. built with a heavy/bull barrel, bolt-action, 10-round box magazine (or 20 if possible), and some sort of modern stock (not wood). 

I got motivated by a recent magazine article in which the author got a Pac-Nor barrel made, used an MDT stock (or chassis), and a Savage action from another rifle. His rifle build looks really cool and apparently shoots very well. I'd like to build something like that, but with a thicker barrel.

During a recent trip to Cabela's, I saw other customized rifles in their showroom with varying barrel thicknesses. Interestingly, the gun with the thickest barrel was chambered for .223. It was almost 1.5" in diameter. I was left wondering how do you properly choose components for a custom rifle - or does it matter? 

I just like the looks of straight, untapered, heavy barreled rifles - even rimfires. However, I do have an appreciation for barrel harmonics and how a thick barrel dampens or eliminates that wave to increase accuracy. They're slower to get warm too.

Anyway ... I have the following questions:

1) What's the ideal barrel length for .300 Win Mag? I've seen barrel lengths from 20" to 30". Assuming a 1:10 barrel twist, surely there's an ideal length for .300 Win. Mag. as opposed to .308 or .30-06 because of its higher velocity. I figure 26" - 30" is where you want to go.

2) Is there an ideal barrel thickness for a .300 Win. Mag. straight bull barrel? It seems like 1" or 1.25" diameter should do. 

3) Who makes stocks for varying barrel thicknesses? I've seen a few stocks at MidwayUSA that say they accept heavy barrels, but don't say how thick. I wouldn't want to get a 1.25" diameter barrel and find out my stock accepts 1" thick barrels.

4) Where can I buy a complete action? Unlike the author above, I don't have a used rifle from which to salvage a complete action and then replace the trigger. I assume .300 Win. Mag. uses a long-action.

5) Jewel or Timney trigger?

6) Can stock manufacturers take a shorter length-of-pull into account (along with barrel diameter)? I'm a short guy and I think one factor that might improve my shooting is to simply have a gun with a custom length-of-pull even though it's never bothered me before. It's not like I have to fully extend my arm to touch the trigger.

7) What's a good muzzle brake for .300 Win Mag.? I know I'll need one. I can't afford a suppressor too.

8) What's the best metallurgical treatment and finish for a barrel these days? I've heard .300 Win. Mag. is a hot round and some guns chambered for it suffer from premature bore erosion. 

9) Who makes box magazines for .300 Win. Mag.? 

10) How should the muzzle of the barrel be formed if it's to accept a muzzle brake? Recessed?

11) How does a gun builder account for different barrel thicknesses but apparently use the same action? Most of the guns I saw at Cabela's were made by one custom rifle company with varying barrel thicknesses, but it seems like they all used Remington 700 actions. There was no big bump between the action and the bore end of the barrel.   

My plan is to get all the components gathered and put them together. I'll take the action and barrel to a gunsmith for assembly cause I don't know how to use go / no-go gauges ... if I do this project! 

Thanks guys. Sorry this was so long. I'm just trying to learn more about the firearms aftermarket. I plan to visit that custom rifle shop too.  

I think you might be more happy with that light of gun perhaps chambered in something lighter?  How about 6.5 Creedmoor?  Or good old fashioned 7.62X51? .308 Winchester.  Then the builder MIGHT be able to use M1A, FN, HK or other box mags?  Ruger makes a nice "Scout Gun" or "Mountain Gun" with their own 10rd box mag.  They even make a .308 in Left Hand!  Hee hee hee.  I'm a lefty.  Enjoy.

Looking at your list, you want this:

bKZ0lE02P_NvqYhjI8W.png

Model: 10/110 FCP HS Precision

300 WIn Mag

AccuTrigger 

Detachable box

Stock material: HS Precision Fiberglass

Barrel material: Carbon Steel

Matte Barrel finish:

Matte Stock color:

Drilled and tapped for scope mounts 

Add a Magna-Brake for a 45% recoil reduction, and you've got a SWEET rifle.

Or...if you want a factory brake, step up to 338 Lapua and REALLY reach out!

bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png

I forgot:

You can have the gun cryo-treated for about $50 to extend the barrel life and even improve accuracy through stress relief.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 3

bKZ0lE02P_NvqYhjI8W.png

300 WIn Mag

AccuTrigger 

Detachable box

Matte Barrel finish:

Matte Stock color:

bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png

I forgot:

You can have the gun cryo-treated for about $50 to extend the barrel life and even improve accuracy through stress relief.

But if he can't afford a can he probably won't like $6.50 per shot for the .338 Lapua. 

• Like 1

bKZ0lE02P_NvqYhjI8W.png

300 WIn Mag

AccuTrigger 

Detachable box

Matte Barrel finish:

Matte Stock color:

bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png

I forgot:

But if he can't afford a can he probably won't like $6.50 per shot for the .338 Lapua. 

Reloading brings the cost down under $1 a shot, and if you want to wring all the accuracy out of a rig, that's the way to go.

Either way, it's a hell of a gun.

• Like 1