DDI 12 is here...

So it looks like the DDI 12 has (quietly?) come to market....

not making much of a splash that I can see, and a full $130-150 under the anticipated MSRP....

gotta admit i'm slightly intrigued about the factory m4 stock compatability, left side charger and AR style ambi safety. The lack of optic mounting options is disturbing, but a long sight radius and dust cover mounted irons is another cool "after market style" feature. Also takes Saiga mags. 

This could be interesting, can't wait for that first video review.

Believe AIM had them and is sold out already, and Centerfire as well.

Edited by VforVandetta
  • Like 1

Duly noted and edited, sir!

I am still learning the ins and out around here. I mostly dwell at Vepr.org, since I'm a vepr 12 guy (for now....looking for the first excuse to come to at least own both) and lets just say the rules are pretty lax around there. Is there a longform set of other forum rules somewhere, just so i don't unwittingly break any more?

also, is it frowned upon to post links to vepr.org threads? just today I saw a question in the Vepr-12 section and wanted to link a verp.org thread that answered it. 

The rules are posted when you create a membership here.. you have to agree to them to create an account.. but no one reads that junk...

• Like 2

Is the Chinese DDI 12 gage shotgun 922® compliant?  Or is that non relevant?

It is only 922r compliant with magazines holding 5 rounds or less.  100% Chinese manufactured, so no US parts out of the box.   If you want to use mags larger than 5 rounds, you'll need to start counting/swapping parts.

• Like 1

So anything over 5 (8?) rounds would be a no no until somebody figures out the 922® US Parts count to make it legal?  Might be a deal breaker.

That's right.  The propriety trigger system means that it won't be as easy as it is on the Saigas.   I think I remember David Fillers (owner of DDI) suggesting a U.S. pistol grip, U.S. Stock, and US magazines for compliance, but be sure to do your own homework and don't take this as legal advice.

• Like 1

Is the Chinese DDI 12 gage shotgun 922® compliant?  Or is that non relevant?

It is only 922r compliant with magazines holding 5 rounds or less.  100% Chinese manufactured, so no US parts out of the box.   If you want to use mags larger than 5 rounds, you'll need to start counting/swapping parts.

And the self contained trigger pack may mean that it has different spacing than existing AK trigger groups.... We also don't know if the puck diameter, or gas block threads are consistent with S12.

Would the receiver extension or buffer tube count?

The parts off of the list are the stock. If you have any significant part of your stock which could be considered to be imported, you don't want to count as having a US stock. If you put on a US made buffer tube and stock, You should be safe to count the stock as US made for compliance purposes.

• Like 1

So then with a 1) USA made buffer tube, (receiver extension tube) and a USA butt stock of whatever configuration and a 2) USA made pistol grip and a 3-4-5) USA made mags counting as 3 parts then that would add up to 5 USA parts?  Got it.  Would that be enough USA parts to be 922r compliant?  If the total needed 5 or 7?  Or am I making this too confusing?  Dunno.

1) Butt stock group, 2) pistol grip, 3-4-5) mag, 6) fore end and 7) muzzle whatever and we may be good to go.  7 USA 922R parts. Got it.  Seems doable.  When will this shotgun become available?  Very interested.  Also wondering how that cool Maine video was legal to make.  Does he have a SOT license?  Showed him with high cap box mags and a drum in the shotgun.  I am left handed and this may be an advantage.  Also the switchable safety seems neat.

Edited by HB of CJ