I was down in our SC plant last year, and got an invite from a foreman to go hog hunting with him and his family. I thought that was a great idea, until he told me they hunt at night, with dogs, and knives!! He said his 9 year old daughter got her first kill on one of the hunts last year. Now there are some really bad-assed down home boys.

I thanked him for the invite, but told him that with my arthritis in my knees, they would be dragging out my crippled-up carcass out of the woods.

Wow ! I can just see it, two dogs with a hold of each ear playing make a wish, while they run up and stick the hog.

I wonder what their legs look like?

The australians do that a lot. pit bulls with vests to avoid getting tusk punctures. I think AK stormie here does that too.

I was down in our SC plant last year, and got an invite from a foreman to go hog hunting with him and his family. I thought that was a great idea, until he told me they hunt at night, with dogs, and knives!! He said his 9 year old daughter got her first kill on one of the hunts last year. Now there are some really bad-assed down home boys.

I thanked him for the invite, but told him that with my arthritis in my knees, they would be dragging out my crippled-up carcass out of the woods.

Wow ! I can just see it, two dogs with a hold of each ear playing make a wish, while they run up and stick the hog.

I wonder what their legs look like?

The australians do that a lot. pit bulls with vests to avoid getting tusk punctures. I think AK stormie here does that too.

Hello

Ted Nugent was known to do it without dogs, years ago. He would simply drop out of a tree with a Bowie in his teeth.

I reckon that's how a real man (or Neanderthal) hunts pigs.

-Guido in TX

Just about any time someone says ".... real man...." it seems to be a reckless or clumsy way to do whatever the thing is. I prefer to do things as a real smart man would, which generally means not being in hugging range with a live hog.  I haven't hunted any, but I can say I will never start out planning to hunt a hog with only a knife.

GunFun, on 06 Apr 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Just about any time someone says ".... real man...." it seems to be a reckless or clumsy way to do whatever the thing is. I prefer to do things as a real smart man would, which generally means not being in hugging range with a live hog.  I haven't hunted any, but I can say I will never start out planning to hunt a hog with only a knife.

Pussy. haha

No one ever has to dare you to do something worthwhile. "I dare ya, you pussy" is always a challenge to harm yourself from someone who would be amused if you do. Being called wuss has never motivated me to do anything. If anything it has the reverse effect.

On the other hand, "jump now or you won't get another chance" has motivated me to leap onto the slippery side of a ship between two boats bashing together in 19' seas. Several times, an only the first one needed urging. As I've gotten older, that seems like a dumb choice too, but at least it seemed necessary at the time. 

Being disemboweled by a hog if I get things wrong does not sound entertaining.

Cold Steel makes something they call a 'boar spear'. I've seen mixed reviews on it. Kult of Athena carries a metric shit-ton of pointy-stabby stuff: Maybe the Frankish spear head, sharpened-up &  fitted to a stout ash staff would do the trick.

1801009900_l.jpg

I've also read that 'boars don't really drive themselves up the spear shaft to get you: you don't need a cross-piece behind the spear head.'  It'd be just my luck to pick a fight with a boar that hadn't read that...

Edited by Hawk451
  • Like 3

A local man and wife team who are in their 60's hunts hogs for property owners. They use dogs and knives.

They inform area residents before a hunt and request that we keep our dogs put up for the day.

On a side note, Twice we have had a wild boar somehow get into our pens and impregnate our 3 domestic sows. Over 40 halfnhalf piglets in the past 3 years. We sold all but 2 for $25 ea. The 2 we kept were roasted.

I saw great spearhunting video footage yesterday.

Hunter in tree with bait directly under him, Warthog walks right in.

He basically just dropped the spear right behind the shoulder, hardly any movement invovled.

Spear had a camera on the shaft. Good detail of entry and then the ride was on with the boar spinning and bucking futivly trying to dislodge it. 

As the pig moved, the spear made a bigger and bigger hole. DRT.

I had never seen that particular camera veiw, it was almost dizzying. The spear stayed verticle right to the end showing fullbody veiw, then the pig dropped and the camera still had it in frame. Very dramatic.

Loaning a friend my .458 SOCOM when he goes hog hunting this year. Curious as to how well it will do. Anyone know how the hogs react to an IR laser as opposed to red or green ?

Edited by The Deacon

.300 Blackout works well on hogs, so a .458 Socom should be even mo betterer.

Hogs have roughly the same visual capabilities as humans, at least regarding the wavelengths they can see. NV + IR will not spook them, especially if using a can.

.50 Beowulf is what I used on my last kill. 250-300lb boar at 50yds hit the right shoulder. He dropped hard with one back leg still kicking. Followed up with a shot straight through the mouth into the head. He was dead.