thanks for all the replies! The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a FCG from Dinzag and he threw in some e-clips. I'd rather use those because I have them already.

So these take the place of the retaining spring? Does that mean I get to plug up all 4 holes in the rear of the receiver with the nylon plugs?

The axis pin retainer from tapco works pretty good for me just a little pricey at $12.00 a pop but makes removal fast and easy.
I used to use those, but for less than a tenth of the price, the hitch pins work fine.

If you're a DIY'er, here is a tutorial for making your own retainer plate: http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25250

Edited by nalioth
thanks for all the replies! The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a FCG from Dinzag and he threw in some e-clips. I'd rather use those because I have them already.

So these take the place of the retaining spring? Does that mean I get to plug up all 4 holes in the rear of the receiver with the nylon plugs?

Yep plug those 4 holes up

PS

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35945

Not me selling it

Tapco G2 single hook trigger set/ retainer plate combo for $35 Shipped.

Two birds one stone!

E clips are alright. They usually need to be adjusted before initial fitment. If I'm making a custom build, I'll use them. If it's more of an old school original type build, I'll use the wire spring. A flat screw driver is all you need to install and remove. Tilt the rifle sideways and push the clip on with the screwdriver.

Yeah eClips are fine, for testing or a "fun" rifle.

But if you ever feel that you might need to use your rifle for self defense I would urge you to skip these things. I have had them come off in every rifle I have seen them employed. I know of no factory AK that come with them.

Why buy or build one of the most hearty combat rifles (and shotgun) in the world just to stack the deck for failure by jerry rig re-engineering like this? Use the factory retainer, or the plate.

I can not comment on the "hitch pins" but do note that no factory AK came with them, therefore they are unproven in military service.

JMHO/YMMV

I prefer the e-clips myself, I have a set of mini pliers & they pop right on.

A mini-screw driver will pop them off.

Everyone prefers something different. I'm always tearing mine apart and reassembling and I've found those to be the quickest for me. I've never had them come off during use either.

If they get bent or damaged on install they could come off.

• 2 weeks later...

I used e-clips on my latest conversion.

I used 7/32 but I think 3/16 e-clips would also work. The 3/16 clips just fit alot tighter and I didn't want to mess with the difficulty of having to remove them later. Certainly you wouldn't have to worry about those ones coming off accidentally.

All I did was use a pair of needlenose pliers to set the e-clip on the groove, then I carefully placed a flat head screwdriver with the blade against the top of the clip and smacked the end of the driver with my palm. that snapped the e-clip on, no problema. Got it right on the first try.

I think if you used 3/16, tho, you might want to brace the gun against something so you can use a little more persuasion than the palm of your hand.

eta: Yeah, those plates are great, but I'm cheap. E-clips are 15 cents at the hardware store. Those plates are $10.

In fact, I HAD to use e-clips (though, I guess I could have used the retaining plate, too.) I didn't use binding posts or long rivets on the old, weird "saiga holes" at the rear of the receiver. I just filled those up with 4 short rivets, for looks.

Edited by 1Andy2

eips are fine i have use them on all my builds i just simply drimp them down a little before i put them in they fit nice and tight that way and ive never had one come off the e clip i stronger than a spring though if its put on right it will be stronger just think of how much more contact surface there is on the e clip as aposed to the spring.