Converted Sidewinder drum-who has one?

I found this pic on ARFCOM and had read about a similar conversion on this forum. It is a Sidewinder drum, formerly produced by Knoxx, converted for use in the Saiga 12. It seems to me that all that is necessary to bring this to market is some very basic reverse-engineering. Advantages? Much shorter than a 10 round stick, and because it sticks out only to the right, it can be used with the stock folded to the left (and other drums will not allow folding stocks to be completely folded.

Does anyone here have one of these converted drums? I would like to know about reliability and user dynamics.

post-8201-1223350266_thumb.jpg

That's actually something I have been thinking about for a couple months now, wondering if it could be done. Your post tells me it can, so all that's left is for me to try. I don't know when, though, I'll get to it.

You have to construct a new feed tower for it to work. Its a pretty intensive mod.

It would work with less mods in my OWS SPS-12. I've been lookin for a cheap one to modify. The feed is the same, so I would just have to reverse the mount.

Heres a pic of my OWS SPS-12:

DSCN4680.jpg

Tracking Cameron's project, but it is not the same thing. A key point to me is the ability to fold the stock completely. Cameron's design (or at least the sketches he has posted) is a traditional circular design. Given the outside dimensions he posted, a folding stock would not be able to folded completely with the drum inserted. It seems that an offset, "snail drum" design like the Knoxx is the only way to get around this problem.

Tracking Cameron's project, but it is not the same thing. A key point to me is the ability to fold the stock completely. Cameron's design (or at least the sketches he has posted) is a traditional circular design. Given the outside dimensions he posted, a folding stock would not be able to folded completely with the drum inserted. It seems that an offset, "snail drum" design like the Knoxx is the only way to get around this problem.

Your right about the snail design and folding stock thing, but that displaces the weight to one side, The Knox Drum wasn't designed that way because they wanted to make room for a folder, but because its less trickier to design, and make function right. That would make for a good poll, Drum centered, or snail for a folder!!! I actually do have snail design, but like the center design better! But on this issue, I would like what everyone has to say.

Your right about the snail design and folding stock thing, but that displaces the weight to one side, The Knox Drum wasn't designed that way because they wanted to make room for a folder, but because its less trickier to design, and make function right. That would make for a good poll, Drum centered, or snail for a folder!!! I actually do have snail design, but like the center design better! But on this issue, I would like what everyone has to say.

When will the Chaos drum be released?

Dear God, it has begun. I am sure Cameron will let all of us know when his drum is ready for release. I am anticipating it, too, but we don't need to do to Cameron what so many people did to Mike.

Oh God...Please forgive me..

Its cool guys, first the dynamics between the anticipation of the MD20 and the Chaos M1210 are totally different, people had already put their money down, thats not my setup with this project. As far as when will they ship, the drum is still in the design stage, shooting for a prototype by mid Dec. Thats about all I can really say at this point!

Dear God, it has begun. I am sure Cameron will let all of us know when his drum is ready for release. I am anticipating it, too, but we don't need to do to Cameron what so many people did to Mike.

Oh God...Please forgive me..

Its cool guys, first the dynamics between the anticipation of the MD20 and the Chaos M1210 are totally different, people had already put their money down, thats not my setup with this project. As far as when will they ship, the drum is still in the design stage, shooting for a prototype by mid Dec. Thats about all I can really say at this point!

Thanks Cameron, Godspeed!!!!

In 2005 a user named Flogger combined a Knoxx drum and a top of a 5 round mag as a feed tower.

It looked like it would work, but apparently there was a problem with the dummy rounds, which are actually the follower, not being able to smoothly transition into the feed tower (piece of mag). I thought that all you would need is a metal mag to make into a feed tower and it would work. There might have also been a problem with the amount of spring tension available from the Knoxx drum.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=knoxx+drum

go down to post #15

Also back then, it was taboo to use the term "drum" on this site