Will 7,62x39 USA made ammo shoot ok out of a Saiga?

I have a Saiga 7,62x39 on order will it shoot USA ammo or are the primers to soft? Thanks

i have used a lot of US made x39 ammo. mostly winchester and remington. I have never had a problem with any of it

like jtoddellis said, they will eat almost anything you put in there

Anyone know if the Saiga 7.62x39's have SLFP's?

Umm.... Whats an SLFP?!?!?

( You will tell, and I will probably slap my head and say "DUH")

:smoke:

Spring Loaded Firing Pins (I hope I used the correct terminology here :unsure: ). There's a big brouhaha over on the Arsenal forums about how some of older American manufactured 7.62x39 ammo made with softer primers might not be all that safe to shoot in Arsenal brand AK 7.62 rifles because they supposedly don't have SLFP's in them. Good news is that most of the American ammo manufacturers have swiched over to the harder to ignite primers now.

I was just curious to know if the Saiga 7.62's came standard with SLFP's already installed in them? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

With 7.62x39 ammo going thru the roof we might have to shoot US made ammo or end up having to reload to shoot our Saigas. Our other choice is mil-surp corrosive ammo made in Yugoslavia, Hungary or Romania.

I've shot Remington and in my Saiga and I purchased Boxer primed Olympic ammo from Greece. Once my formerly low cost ammo runs out, I may have to use the US made ammo unless the Russians start shipping ammo again. The 7.62x39 round was made by many countries which could be improted to alleviate the Russian ammo shortage.

• 2 weeks later...
With 7.62x39 ammo going thru the roof we might have to shoot US made ammo or end up having to reload to shoot our Saigas.

The case neck "swell" designed into the chambers of many 7.62x39mm saiga rifles to "mark" fired cases is not going to help reloadability.

This feature pretty well trashes the otherwise nice reloadable american made boxer primed ammo.

26095Saiga_-fired_cases_-2.JPG

Lollygagger :wacko:

Edited by lollygagger

You might be suprised what a full length sizing die can work out... with softer brass, it may not be a lost cause... OBVIOUSLY you wont be reloading steel... so no worries there... If you are ALREADY RELOADING 7.62X39 cases... stick one in... and just make sure its WELL LUBED... I bet it will size the lip right out... might need some extra elbow grease... but could work...

If not... well, then... nothing ventured... nothing gained... :up: At least you tried and know for sure.

You might be suprised what a full length sizing die can work out... with softer brass, it may not be a lost cause... OBVIOUSLY you wont be reloading steel... so no worries there... If you are ALREADY RELOADING 7.62X39 cases... stick one in... and just make sure its WELL LUBED... I bet it will size the lip right out... might need some extra elbow grease... but could work...

If not... well, then... nothing ventured... nothing gained... :up: At least you tried and know for sure.

Considered that possibility...guess if times were hard enough, it would be a approach.

I would expect that the likelyhood of a neck seperation of the case upon firing would be a bit more than usual. Maybe if you annealed the neck, it would help.

Lollygagger :unsure: (honestly, if it did get that bad...I'd not punish my brass in such a chamber)

Edited by lollygagger
Read my post about "olympic takes one in the ass"...

it works... just be careful... sideways primers, etc...

Olympic is the only ammo i will never again feed my Saiga. :angry:

Too many hangfires, and one round was so hot that it locked the bolt carrier all the way back, i really had to smack it hard so it would go forward to chamber the next round.