Magwell Interest!

I'm currently designing a magwell for my Saiga.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested if I made more.

The cost would be kind of expensive since they would be hand milled.

I'm not set up for CNC or any kind of mass production so I would have to get about $250 ea.

The one I'm working on accepts factory mags and will be a direct insert design similar to the SWAT version as opposed to the factory rock in design, I wanted to wait and see what would be required to make some of the upcoming 10rd. mags work but this might not happen so I'm going forward with it.

Let me know what you think!

If you make a prototype, and it works, there is a Machine shop that is next door to AZEX Arms, I am sure something could be worked out with them so that you both make a good profit, and the cost could come down a bit. Personally, I really want one, but I can only spend around $100 on something like that.

Let me know if the design works and I'll get their contact info for you. They have done a few weapons related items already.

IJ

Why create a 3rd standard when the russians have already done all the work? They seem to know what they are doing.

So wouldn't it be smartest to just get one of the russian ones and duplicate it? It could be injection molded out of polymer, or even metal injection molded out of aluminum.

Then the new style russian mags would fit, as well as modified regular mags.

Not to be a complete dick or anything, that is not the intent of this, But where the fuck am I going to get current issue new style russian mags???

That's a good point, and no dick-ness taken, but I can only give 2 explanations.

1) You can order from the guy selling the magwell and mag together (not ideal, but at least not "vapor-ware")

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=47507152

and/or assume that since the russians are going to that new standard, these will eventually become more available, not to the extent of the fives, but perhaps to the extent of the eights (eventually)

and

2) Since you would have to modify your existing mags anyway, you might as well do it to the 2nd standard rather than create a 3rd.

2) Since you would have to modify your existing mags anyway, you might as well do it to the 2nd standard rather than create a 3rd.
Not according to orig post
The one I'm working on accepts factory mags

But I can see where you'd assume the mags would be modded. The fin's reported that they didn't need to mod the mags. I'm guessing Jman won't need to either.

Jman, here's my .02 cents. If you do need to mod the mags, I'm out. At this price, I'm very hesitant, and would have to be very impressed. Honestly, if this is the only way of getting this done, then I'm more likely to try and get one made up in Finland and shipped here if it would bring the cost down to within reason. I understand the amount of labor may justify it, but from my end, I'd rather pay for a one of a kind, hand crafted magwell. But, get the working prototype to a machine shop, get the costs under control and I'm hooked.

The intent is to make it work with standard 5 & 8 round mags. I have a couple of plans which will require no magazine mods but will require a small amount of modification to the front mag catch area on the gun itself.

I will make one for mine first and see what kind of time will be required, then I can project a firm price. Maybe I can get it down some.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money on this. I just thought since I'm doing it for myself that I'll see if others might want one too.

Thanks for any input.

Personally,

I think it would kick-ass.

If you have a good enough design, you could later adapt it to most other AK variants.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

A|G

P.S. - Can somebody tell me about these Finnish mag wells?

P.S. - Can somebody tell me about these Finnish mag wells?

If you do a search of finnish, or more likely shitbird (their self given name, I think one of the Saiga's bit one of them pretty good earlier on) you'll see some of thier posts. Or look for Jimkuula (user). Anyway, they have pushed the competition envelope further than we have domestically (where Wakal has likely done the most development). There's a pretty good look at a mag extensionthat they've got working, of course the mag wells, and some pretty neat brakes.

Jman, Sounds like you might be thinking of a retractable lip/gate on the front edge of the magwell? Ronswin saw one done that way. Guy was running it in competition. It was years back, and the guy was likely running 5 round mags. But I'm thinking with higher cap mags the stress on front tab during recoil will be accentuated. If you are setting up for competitions, it might not take the 1000's of rounds a season will require?

I have no metal skills, but doesn't seem that the magwell would be too hard to mimic. Solid aluminum worked then rivited to the gun in 4 spots.

If I get one, I'm expecting a .02 discount :)

Edited by kmoore
Jman, Sounds like you might be thinking of a retractable lip/gate on the front edge of the magwell? Ronswin saw one done that way. Guy was running it in competition. It was years back, and the guy was likely running 5 round mags. But I'm thinking with higher cap mags the stress on front tab during recoil will be accentuated. If you are setting up for competitions, it might not take the 1000's of rounds a season will require?

Yes you are right! This is the design I'm looking at. The front mag catch should hold up pretty well since I plan on making that part out of steel and with an anodized aluminum magwell I think I will hold up very well. (plus the fact that I'm not planning on making this part to smallish). I've also looked into some of the high tech coatings like Robars NP3 for the catch itself. All in all it's going to take me a little while to get everything perfect but I think it will be pretty nice when it's done!

Beleive me, my first consideration is quality and longevity.

So there would be some clever linkage that would activate the front catch with the rear. Existing mags would work. Ok, I'm up to speed now :rolleyes:

Cool

I was confused because the russians only use the rear catch and the new mags have no front tang.

I'm surprised that nobody wants to sand the front tang off of their $100 mags :lolol:

I'm currently designing a magwell for my Saiga.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested if I made more.

The cost would be kind of expensive since they would be hand milled.

I'm not set up for CNC or any kind of mass production so I would have to get about $250 ea.

The one I'm working on accepts factory mags and will be a direct insert design similar to the SWAT version as opposed to the factory rock in design, I wanted to wait and see what would be required to make some of the upcoming 10rd. mags work but this might not happen so I'm going forward with it.

I've been working on something similar but was also waiting until the domestic magazines were produced to ensure they'd work with the mag-well (though front lip would need be sanded off).

I just got a muzzle break priced today and HOLY CRAP!!!! $250 is cheap for a custom machined part, much less the to pay for the time and labor in designing, manufacturing, and testing. I'll keep my design on the back burner but at $250 if it works I'll take one of yours...my current design would probably cost upwards of $500.

If I was trying to make this to sell for a profit I don't think I would even venture into it. But I'm just making it for myself and seeing if anyone else would like one too. If I break even, I'll be way more than happy. But if I can't get it to work 100% then I won't even try to sell it.

Edited by jman