+2 Magazine Bottom Plates

I am really interested in +2 Magazine Floor Plates for the Saiga-12.

It is a fantastic idea.

Will someone please make these?

Thanks, CGuns

I've thought about doing this but I'm pretty deep into making a magwell that works.

This is going to take some time because of the complexity. Maybe I should rethink this.

I'll see what I can do. Maybe I can put out some extensions first.

Anybody have any basic dimensions of a working design?

The hardest part about making anything is the R&D, it takes sooo much time to make something that really works well. So any valuable input would save dramatically in the end..

Jman

You are probably going to run into problems with the spring. The 8rd spring is 6 coils longer than the 5rd spring.... You will probably not have enough tension to make it feed right.

The 10rd mags are coming, as well as other things that we are not ready to talk about yet. I really do not understand why it is taking everyone so long to get the mags out.... In doing some very diligent research into manufacturing it does not take months to go from a proto-type that functions to molds, and production. It does take a good bit of money though...

I have a Working +2 prototype. First of all I would like to thank Cobra for his prototype testing and patience with this project. I haven't posted here in quite a while. I have been working on this project for about a year now. I have hit quite a few snags that take priority over this project. I am speaking to a machine shop next week about making one or more of the parts it requires. At this time I have to make each part by hand and it takes about 3.5 hrs. to complete. I also need a better material. Cobra recently informed me of the failure of the prototype and what happened. HQ plastics aren't cheap so I will also explore the possibility of aluminum. The other part will be HQ plastic, and another part will probably be Stainless Steel. A local shop may be able to help me Injection Mold the parts from plastic, but it is Extremely expensive. If I get only a couple hundred interested, I will probably hand make all myself. My 2rd Hunting mag +2 extension (4rd) has gone through about 850rds without a problem. My 5+2 has gone through more with minor upgrades to design, but no feeding issues. Cobra has had some issues with his, so 5 and 8, so I need more mags to test. It seems the longer the mag, the more problems from recoil.

Anyhow, If anyone knows of cheap IM Shops, please notify me. I have most of the drawings on CAD. Also, any input to help this project is appreciated. Thank you. Amish out. post-1670-1147485887.gif

These things exist (in that others have already made them) but from their posts the time and effort is too much for the gain. Our Finnish friends sent me this drawing but it doesn't have dimensions.

It's my next project as I've just bought a small milling machine. Seems to me the only sensible way forward is to make myself a couple and accept it'll take HOURs to do so!

I've also been busy trying to solve the same problem as everyone else and so far all I've got is this mag. It's 2 five rounds joined with the internals of one. It holds 12 and now I have to see how it feeds. The rounds "seem" to go in and out fine when just doing it by hand but it remains to be seen whether the run smoothly enough in the gun. Find out tomorrow.

Now the only question is am I brave enough to cut up an 8 rounder to get 14 or 15!!

post-1223-1147511252_thumb.jpgpost-1223-1147511274_thumb.jpgpost-1223-1147511434_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidsuffolk
What did you do for a spring?

On the double 5 the existing spring seems man enough to push them all. If it isn't then I'll have to look for another but I think some of the wartime magazines have springs similar enough to use. Failing that I suppose the 8 rounder with the extra coils would be better. I have found I can much more easily load an 8 rounder with 7 in on a closed bolt so perhaps put the original 5 rounder in the 8 and the 8 in the new 12? Only time will tell as I haven't even fired it yet but if the Finns can put a two round extension on without loss of spring pressure I'm hoping thatI'll be lucky and it runs OK with the springs I've got.

kmoore you got your ears on bro?

OHHHHYEAAAAH!

I've thought about doing this but I'm pretty deep into making a magwell that works.

This is going to take some time because of the complexity. Maybe I should rethink this.

I'll see what I can do. Maybe I can put out some extensions first.

Anybody have any basic dimensions of a working design?

The hardest part about making anything is the R&D, it takes sooo much time to make something that really works well. So any valuable input would save dramatically in the end..

Jman

I'd rather see the magwell finished ... Just MHO.

You are probably going to run into problems with the spring. The 8rd spring is 6 coils longer than the 5rd spring.... You will probably not have enough tension to make it feed right.

The 10rd mags are coming, as well as other things that we are not ready to talk about yet. I really do not understand why it is taking everyone so long to get the mags out.... In doing some very diligent research into manufacturing it does not take months to go from a proto-type that functions to molds, and production. It does take a good bit of money though...

Others have reported the stock springs to work fine. IIRC, Wakal used a 5 round spring in his 10 round mag.... seems like whatever mag you extend, it's likely the existing spring would be strong enough.

Seems like there is a growing interest in this. I recontacted the Finnish smith about this last week. He mentioned that he was working on creating the diagrams that he would share....

Maybe we'll get there eventually afterall?

• 2 weeks later...

I made some plust two extensions and I have over come a few problems my eight round extension did not function very well and but 2 out of 3 of my 5 round extensions did work fine I have a new plan to make them. Coming up.

I was so sure that the eight round extension would work and I was worried about my five round extensions it worked just the oppiset? Well back to the drawing board.

And by the way that cad picture looks great but it will not work. What needs to happen is that the tapered portion of the bottom of the magazine needs to be opened up the opening needs to be staight then it would work the depth of the channel for the existing floor plate needs to be a uniform depth all the way across the bottom opening other wise there is not sufficeint room for the follower and the mag extension to cohabitate.

And by the way that cad picture looks great but it will not work. What needs to happen is that the tapered portion of the bottom of the magazine needs to be opened up the opening needs to be staight then it would work the depth of the channel for the existing floor plate needs to be a uniform depth all the way across the bottom opening other wise there is not sufficeint room for the follower and the mag extension to cohabitate.

Funny that it won't work. That CAD-screenshot is mine and all pads done are working well. ;) Now they don't even need any mods to follower. With earlier version (pic...) those little knobs had to be removed from follower. :(

Going over +2 is risky since rails for shell's rim can't reach longer. Sure our +4 pads did work, but there were malfunctions once in a while. ...And mag had to be disassembled to remove shells from wrong side of the rails.

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

Funny that it won't work. That CAD-screenshot is mine and all pads done are working well. ;) Now they don't even need any mods to follower. With earlier version (pic...) those little knobs had to be removed from follower. :(

Going over +2 is risky since rails for shell's rim can't reach longer. Sure our +4 pads did work, but there were malfunctions once in a while. ...And mag had to be disassembled to remove shells from wrong side of the rails.

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

I stand corrected, on mine I found that inorder to get the follower down in to the extension I had to widen the front of bottom slot. To do this I removed the excess nylon and made the bottom hole rectangular, then deepend the from channel the floor plate slides into. This made it possible for the flower to decend into my extension along with the spring and spring guides. With out altering the flower. I see what your saying and I'm impressed that you got it to work I had to resourt to other means.

Edited by topmaul

I use 5 round springs in my 8 rounders exclusively so there is enough room for the 9th round. Saiga springs are over engineered and over generous. My 5 springs in my 8 rounders work great.

P.S.

I also want the extensions. Where? $?

Edited by inparidel