.410 Muzzle Device?

I recently got myself a Tromix .410. The barrel is threaded but it has a simple protector type device on it.

Are there any muzzle devices available for them? Brake of Flash Hider? If so, where can they be had?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

post-3439-1151287926_thumb.jpg

Contact dinzag on this forum. He has a slick AR74 type muzzle brake for the .410 that will screw on in place of your thread protector.IMG_1351_resize.jpg

Edited by tritium
Contact dinzag on this forum. He has a slick AR74 type muzzle brake for the .410 that will screw on in place of your thread protector.post-2604-1151291229_thumb.jpg

Good photo! Dinzaq does really nice work.

One question: What purpose do these muzzle devices serve? Do they actually work as flash hiders/suppressors? Or, if they are muzzle brakes, just what does a muzzle brake do? Does it reduce muzzle climb? If that's the purpose, seems like they'd work better if, like the old Thompson smg's Cutts Compensator, the slots would all face upward?

Or do they come under the 'cool factor' because they just plain look cool? Hey! That's as good a purpose as any!

For the most part, the term "brake" is a misnomer and usually refers to what is more properly a flash hider.

(I'm referring to the so-called brakes usually seen on this forum- I know that there are real brakes and compensators out there)

It's for looks, bro! Just pick one you like. Personally, I think the Tromix breacher is the highest in cool factor, but it tends to snag on your trenchcoat.

That pic is the brake on my .410. Although not obvious on this picture a portion of the muzzle blast is preferentially diverted up by the wider lower plate between the barrel opening and the outer ring, and there are several holes on the top of the device which also counter muzzle rise, at least in theory. It does deflect some flash, and it's kool lookin' too, so it serves all three purposes, especially the appearance. :up:

Aethelbert, Bob & Doc - you all are right. It's somewhat functional as a brake (reducing felt recoil) due to the large side ports, but it is a 410. (no much recoil to reduce) That said, I think they are cool looking and that's mainly why I made 'em. Who is really going to breech a door? Who cares? Those teeth look mean as hell!! :smoke:

As you can see from my shotties I'm sort of stuck back in the 70's and am into the retro wood AK's. Tony Rumore made my S-12 & S-20 brakes. I'd say they're mainly for looks. That 12 with 3" slugs hurts very much bad!

A flash hiders usually have small slots parallel with the bore I believe.

I hear ya dinzag! I'm kinda stuck back there too in my preferences.

Speaking of cool factor...I just can't resist a shameless photo op...lol!

Tony made these for me on request. They were the first. :smoke:post-1293-1151414601_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1151414553_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1151414737_thumb.jpg

Hi. been lurking for a while, thought I might insert a little safety note I haven't seen yet. Since Saigas are making a 'comeback' recently and because the low prices and cool factor, many young people are buying

the firearms. The flash-hiders, muzzle-brakes, etc are never to be installed when firing buck or bird shot.

That fact is never mentioned, and some one could/would eventually get hurt or worse.

Just my .2 cents...

Thanks for your concern. Learning and practicing safety is definately the most important thing about owning a firearm. The shot cup and the pellets clear the brake with no problem on the ones I have installed. They were engineered this way. If anything it needs to be made perfectly clear that you just can't take any AK brake or hider and attach it to a weapon it was not designed to work on without first making sure it is bored out to more than the gun's bore diameter. Like putting a 5.56mm brake on a 7.62mm barrel. BIG NO NO!

I will vouch for the Cobra...

In fact I have shot thosands of rounds on the trap field with my S12 with a muzzlebreak/FH type thingy installed on the end, and not once have I ever encountered any problems.

Again... It is designed for the S12, and is larger than the bore. Caution must be excersized when installing a brake that is not indexed properly, (Aligned true to the bore), or that is the wrong size!

:smoke:

Bird is the majority of what I shoot. The 410 brakes I make are 0.540" at the muzzle. Bore is probably 0.410 on the barrel. I test fired over 100 various rounds through it at 0.500" and it never budged and nothing contacted the paint on the I.D. I made it a tad bigger just in case.

No issues with the S-12 or S-20 either.

These are with the AK-74 brake. I imagine other slotted or ported brakes/fh's could have an even tighter clearance.

Here are a couple links to some I made in a few minutes with a lathe, welder, factory S-410 choke tubes/thread protector, and an FN-FAL brake...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9530

I had some pics of one I made with a full choke tube... I turned the angled part cylindrical, so it fit true in a reamed FAL brake, then was welded... couldnt find those, though... If I do.. I will post them...

"Unfortunately, I will never have a FA anything as long as I live here in IL."

With a shotgun, you miss the fun of seeing the "beaten zone" of the target, but it is cool to see the wads go flying out.

"Unfortunately, I will never have a FA anything as long as I live here in IL."

With a shotgun, you miss the fun of seeing the "beaten zone" of the target, but it is cool to see the wads go flying out.

What is the thread btw? I know it is left hand, but it is a much finer thread than 14x1.

The factory thread/pitch on the .410 is 14 X .75 LH threads

That's what I thought it was all along, but it is actually 15 X .75 LH threads.

Tony Rumore posted about it awhile back... :smoke: