Kel-Tec PLR-16 Anyone?

I'm considering purchasing a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol... Does anyone own this particular .223? If so, I would sincerely appreciate hearing your viewpoints and observations regarding it. Additionally, anyone else is welcomed to comment regarding this pistol. I'm trying to make an "informed" decision. I only want it for the "fun factor" and plinking... don't necessarily need to hear about how this particular pistol or bullet caliber is sucky for personal defense, etc. **LOL**

Anyone?

The one thing I can say for sure is that its going to be loud. Back in the 70ties everyone was building a CAR-15 lookalike by putting a long flash supressor permantly mounted on a 10 in barrel. I had one made up. It was too much even with muffs and ear plugs. The PLR-16 would be a fun plinker with a real supressor if you can own one in your state.

Gary, I have the PLR-16 and it is a blast to shoot! Ironhead is right though, it's a loud one. I don't shoot without hearing protection anyway, but this is definitely not one you'd want to use without it. Shooting from a bench or bipod, I can achieve 3-4" groups at 100 yds. A guy on the Kel-Tec forum claims better, like 2" IIRC. I'm sure a better shooter can be lots more accurate than I.

I wouldn't say this weapon would suck for PD either. 30 rounds of .223 would be pretty awesome to have in a SHTF situation. I say "Buy It", you won't be sorry. Here's a pic of mine, all dressed up:

PLRDressed6-16-06004.jpg

And another with a beta can attached:

plr-16withbetacanA2flashhider.jpg

Edited by badman400
I'm considering purchasing a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol... Does anyone own this particular .223? If so, I would sincerely appreciate hearing your viewpoints and observations regarding it. Additionally, anyone else is welcomed to comment regarding this pistol. I'm trying to make an "informed" decision. I only want it for the "fun factor" and plinking... don't necessarily need to hear about how this particular pistol or bullet caliber is sucky for personal defense, etc. **LOL**

Anyone?

They're a blast to shoot! Its very similar to my Bushy Carbon 15 5.56mm pistol. Just no buffer tube or counter weight. I put a Phantom flash hider on mine. It took a good bit of the flash out. Seems like every other shot I get a little flash though.

One thing you should know before buying one of these is that they do not achieve fragmentation velocity with shorter barrels. Some of the longer barrels will get enough velocity for this for under 50 yards. So for home defense you might be better off with a 16" barreled rifle.

But if your just out for fun they are a blast to shoot and will eat virtually any ammo you feed them.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone?

hey gary. i'm kind of new to the forum but this topic caught my eye. i just got a PLR a few weeks ago. the first time i took it out, it ran fine through one magazine, then it started having problems with failure to ejects & failure to fires. it felt like it was getting dry & rough as it cycled so i put it away for the day. i disassembled it that night & noticed quite a bit of brass shavings all in the chamber & even some under the extractor (which is what i suspected). i cleaned it out & lubed it up properly & took it out last monday (also got some nicer mags). it ran through 60-70 rounds great with only 1 failure to eject. it was MUCH smoother with little to no brass residue in the chamber.

i think the locking lugs on the barrel/breech are very sharp & kind of steep so the cartridge has kind of a rough ride over them on its way to battery. it seems to help if you gently bend the front of the lips on your mags so the cartridges can come out at a sharper upward angle.

beyond all that, it is SOOOO much fun to shoot. everyone at the range asks "what the hell is that?" when it goes off. you get a nice fireball and it's hard to believe it's a 5.56 from the sound. i've only shot it out to 50 yds so far but i was grouping all my shots within a 4-5" circle with iron sights and Guatemalen surplus ammo. FUN,FUN,FUN!

• 2 weeks later...
The one thing I can say for sure is that its going to be loud. Back in the 70ties everyone was building a CAR-15 lookalike by putting a long flash supressor permantly mounted on a 10 in barrel. I had one made up. It was too much even with muffs and ear plugs. The PLR-16 would be a fun plinker with a real supressor if you can own one in your state.

LOL, that second pic was my PLR-16 that I bought in late 05/early 06. I took that pic when I worked at a local gun shop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone?If you do get one do yourself a favor and get the sling and forearm for it. I loved it before I got those now I can't put it down

I have one. +1000 on the fun factor. Definately get the forearm and sling. The sling is to keep it close to your side at the range. Everyone will want to pick it up.

I have a Levang Linear compensator on it. It was 30 dollars well spent. It directs the noise and muzzle blast down range and makes it much nicer on you and people on either side of you. The barrel is already threaded so it screws right on. The place I ordered it from included a crush washer.

The other recommendation I would have is to use 20 round magazines. There is a definite tacti-cool factor with the 30 rd ones, but the 20 rd mags are less in the way if you try to stabilize your arms on a bench or in the prone position.

The receiver top is already milled as a rail. The front site is like a standard AR sight and adjusts the same way. The rear sight is a v-notch. It's not bad, but I want to change it to a ghost ring and index it with my red dot.

I have not had any performance issues with it.

DocV

• 2 years later...

I just traded for a new Kel Tec PlR 16 yesterday, I fired it immediatly as I got home.... I traded my Glock 36 for it. It shot very good. Very loud ! I just ordered my forearm stock and flash suppressor yesterday. My friend has one, and his shoots excellent. He has had no problems with his either. I will qualify with this one, and keep it in the trunk of my patrol unit, they will not not let me carry my Saiga .308 :devil:

I just traded for a new Kel Tec PlR 16 yesterday, I fired it immediatly as I got home.... I traded my Glock 36 for it. It shot very good. Very loud ! I just ordered my forearm stock and flash suppressor yesterday. My friend has one, and his shoots excellent. He has had no problems with his either. I will qualify with this one, and keep it in the trunk of my patrol unit, they will not not let me carry my Saiga .308 :devil:

wow zombie thread...I was also going to buy a PLR, until I found out the low life expectancy from Kel-Tec.....receivers made from plastic don't wear well :( If they made that gun with a metal receiver i'd be all about it...

Edited by Vultite

Too bad Vector is not making the V53P's anymore, mine runs like a top and funner than hell to shoot, pop in the beta drum and let it roll, but you sure as hell better have ear plugs in and muffs on, because it'll blow the grass down from the muzzle blast for about 20 ft. Now if someone would be nice enough to give me free sear, we could all have fun.:):):):)

I bought one a couple of months ago and love it! A guy on ebay was selling custom cnc'd aluminum forends and I bought 2 of them, because I plan on getting another PLR-16 as well. I don't think I'd want to shoot it without a handguard of some type. Some say if you dump enough ammo through it it will melt the plastic factory handguards. I didn't really notice it being that loud. I always wear ear protection, but it wasn't any louder than anything else I shoot IMHO. It is a BLAST to shoot! One of the most fun guns out there, and pretty accurate as well. I had a lot of brass shavings inside of mine after the first shoot as well. I put 290+ rounds through it the first time I shot mine. Many people reccomend a "fluff and buff" to get it operating flawlessly. You can find much more info at KTOG, the Kel-Tec owners Group website/forum. As for the longetivity, Kel-Tec states 8,000 rounds, but I believe that was before they started to chrome line the barrel. Even at that, they come with a lifetime warranty, so who really cares? Kel-Tec has EXCELLENT customer service, and the gun is made here in the U.S.A. Prices are all over the place on Gun Broker, but they seem to be coming down a bit, much like the S-12 is doing. If you get one, I would suggest getting a 1/4" hitch pin to replace the takedown pin in the back. That will allow you to break it down easily if you need to, and it will allow attatchment of a sling as well. They are $2 or $3 at a hardware store. You can then use or make your own sling instead of buying the factory $16 one. They are definately a cool gun to own!

• 1 month later...

BronCobraJet Yes you can make the plastic forend squishy (I don't think dripping off) if you put two 90 rders through the barrel the forend will literally start to squish. Might I suggest a VLTOR-CASV, great product and more rail space.