I have hugged the weeping mothers of dead servicemen.

They had the sense and the courage to bury their sons with respect and honor

for the Military branch their sons proudly "volunteered" for.

Not one person serving was "forced into service"

Everyone serving in the U.S. armed forces IS a volunteer.

Vietnam Vets Rally to Protect Memorial

By JENNIFER C. KERR

The Associated Press

Wednesday, February 21, 2007; 11:30 PM

WASHINGTON -- Iraq war protesters are planning to converge on Washington next month and several organizations, including the POW-MIA group Rolling Thunder, are banding together to protect sacred ground for Vietnam War veterans.

The rally March 17 against the war, organizers say, is to get under way in a grassy park near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, known as the wall.

Two veterans' groups said Wednesday they fear protesters may deface the memorial, a claim dismissed by the demonstrating groups.

"We're going there to protect our memorial and show support for our troops," said Artie Muller, founder and executive director of Rolling Thunder.

Muller said he and other veterans grew concerned because during a January anti-war rally, some protesters spray-painted graffiti on the steps of the Capitol.

Richard Becker, a spokesman for the upcoming rally, said the organizations involved have no intention of desecrating the black granite memorial wall. "I think it's the spreading of myths and that's a polite way of putting it," Becker said.

The anti-war ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) Coalition is organizing the protest to coincide with the fourth anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, which was launched on March 20, 2003, in Iraq.

Becker declined to estimate the number of protesters expected. He said the crowd will include some Iraq war veterans and their families.

From the Vietnam War Memorial, the protesters plan to march to the Pentagon to demand an immediate withdrawal of U.S troops from Iraq.

Larry Bailey, a retired Navy captain, said he and other Vietnam veterans aim to guard entrance points to the wall to keep protesters away. "They stand for things that are a total anathema to those of us who were the next generation after the 'great generation,'" he said.

In late January, tens of thousands of protesters marched in a Washington anti-war demonstration. The rally drew celebrities including Jane Fonda and Sean Penn as well as active-duty service members.

A small group of demonstrators managed to spray-paint the steps on the west side of the Capitol. Capitol Police said the writing was cleaned off quickly.

Bump...

Damn guys what gives? 89 views so far and only one member shows any interest? I thought this would at least generate some chatter, positive OR negative...

This ain't a bunch of hippies we are talkin about it's a group of dedicated AMERICANS who want to do all they can to show their deep respect for our military, our country, and our war dead. At least give em a hardy HOOOAH! if you know someone who lives near DC or Maryland for God's sake please at least tell them about it.

This is another message I got about it:

A Gathering of Eagles

By Michelle Malkin

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Take Action

How many times have you sat in front of the television over the last four years, watching anti-war activists march on Washington, chase the ROTC off your local college campus, vandalize war memorials, insult the troops and wreak havoc under the surrender banner?

How many times have you thought to yourself: What can I do?

Here is the answer: Get off the sofa and join the Gathering of Eagles on March 17 in Washington, D.C. On that day, well-funded, celebrity-studded anti-war groups plan to march to the Pentagon on a protest route that will take them past the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and climax in calls for immediate withdrawal of our troops from Iraq, destruction of America's "global military machine," shutdown of the enemy combatant detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay and impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Cheney (plus an end to "colonial occupation" in "Palestine, Haiti and everywhere" for good measure).

Last time the left-wing, peace-loving fun bunch came to town, their minions gone wild threw rocks at a military recruitment office in D.C's Dupont Circle neighborhood and at a local Fox News van, broke through a Capitol Hill police security cordon, spray painted the Capitol Grounds with impunity, desecrated the Lone Sailor statue that stands watch at the U.S. Navy Memorial and reportedly spat at disabled Iraq war veteran Josh Sparling as he voiced his support for his fellow troops.

There were tens of thousands of anti-war demonstrators at that event last month. You know how many showed up with Sparling to counter the far Left? Forty.

Now, imagine our troops getting word of that count. They're walking the talk, committed to the long, hard mission of counterinsurgency in Iraq and abroad, risking life and limb -- and only 40 of their fellow Americans bothered to represent them in the nation's capital?

The Gathering of Eagles, an impromptu coalition of veterans' groups, pro-military organizations and Internet activists, wants to right the wrong. "We are a non-violent, non-confrontational group. We look to defend, not attack. Our focus is guarding our memorials and their grounds," they explain. "We believe in and would give our lives for the precious freedoms found in our Constitution. We believe that our freedom of speech is one of the greatest things our country espouses, and we absolutely hold that any American citizen has the right to express his or her approval or disapproval with any policy, law or action of our nation and her government in a peaceful manner as afforded by the laws of our land."

What the Eagles will not stand for, however, are "violence, vandalism, physical or verbal assaults on our veterans, and the destruction or desecration of our memorials. By defending and honoring these sacred places, we defend and honor those whose blood gave all of us the right to speak as freely as our minds think."

Sgt. Artie Muller, founder of Rolling Thunder, the POW/MIA advocacy group, has called on his 80-plus chartered chapters to turn out. Move America Forward, the grass-roots, non-profit, pro-military charity, is launching a caravan from California March 8 to join the Eagles and will bring flags from across the country for the event. The Nam Knights will be there, too. Bill Devereaux, a member of the South Jersey Viet Nam Vets Association, wrote to tell me he had "appropriated a bus on which 40 of our members will be attending the event."

Daniel McPeters, an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veteran, e-mailed that "at least a dozen of my brothers will be attending this vigil of necessity and representing those not able to be present. This has needed to happen for 30-plus years. Anyone that supports our troops and their cause should try to make it out, or contact their local Veterans post and spread the word. The silent ones need not be silent any more."

Cindy Sheehan has responded to the Eagles by deriding them on the Gold Star Families for Peace website as "Rightest [sic] America Haters" who are "brainwashed and propagandized."

The question isn't, "What can I do to respond to the Sheehanistas?" The question now is, "What will you do?"

Get off the darned sofa and show your support. March 17. Washington, D.C. Find out more at www.gatheringofeagles.org.

Cobra

I think you are probably getting few reponses since it is divisive topic.

Let me be perfectly clear - I support our troops 100% at all times, they deserve the best equipment and care so that they come back home to their loved ones at the end of their tour, this cut funding resolution is a load of crap because it just undermines the level of preparedness our troops in theater will have, it will not actually get Bush to pull them out, or not send them back for more tours of duty.

I understand the pain that those like sheehan have felt, my wife's family lost a friend early on in Iraq...as pointed out they mourned but did not blame the service for the death, he had volunteered.

I think the division is that most of the nation now questions why we are really in Iraq at all. It seems now that the public was more or less decieved by the leadership who now blame "bad intel" or "group think". Bush has admitted that "mistakes were made" in the decision to go to war with Iraq, and he has claimed responsibility for that. With that admission the public questions how many more of our soldiers should die for the mistake. Are they still dying for our freedom if we went to war under false pretenses, if Iraq was never a real risk to our freedom?

When does stay the course become too costly in lives? Is questioning that policy unpatriotic or is it duty of every citizen to hold the leadership accountable for their actions. Christ, we impeached Clinton for getting a blowjob and lying about it....nobody died because of that act.....but suggesting impeachment for someone who took us into a war we probably didn't need to fight (I mean Iraq not Afganistan), cost us 3000+ service men, missaapropriated funds (those funds set aside for operations in Afganastan - and which Bush divereted to Iraq without congresses approval), and has recently declared that he can "just ignore was Congress says"........those actions are not enough to make someone think impeachment???? (the Misapropriation of funds is an impeachable act!...he broke the law and we looked the other way!).....I would argue more so than getting your groove on with an intern in the oval office....

All that said - abosultely support the plan to show respect for the dead, our military and our country.....but i'm not able to muster much respect for our current leadership.....either in the presidency or congress.....

You have the right to peacebly assemble, just as the other side does, more power to both sides if they can do it peacibly.....not easy to do when differing ideologies butt heads......i support you notion to not make memorial site partisan backdrops as well!

Once again - 100% in support of the troops - but also respect the demonstrators rights to speak their voice....anything less and we give up our rights under the first amendment, if that one goes, the rest will soon follow....i don't plan to give up any of them....

Edited by RangerM9

She might be an ass, but she has every right to do what she is doing

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Of coarse you also have the right to counter protest and voice your opinion.

Demonstrators have no right to throw paint or otherwise denigrate American monuments as this crowd did at the last potest in DC, especially when they are rallying at a monument to fallen American heroes. God Bless the Eagles and troops who are protectors of these losers rights to free speech. If I can arrange a sitter for my 21 month old, I'll be there.

why are Peace Protesters so Violent?

that is a damn good question....i would bet that they find that a little violence gets them more PR.

of course....once someone throws a punch, all bets are off and you can end that event in a hurry.

Cobra

I think the division is that most of the nation now questions why we are really in Iraq at all.

I'm the one Cobra is talking about. I told him about this and we are more than likely going. As far as the Gathering of Eagles is concerned, this has nothing to do with Iraq and everything to do with this wall. We are going to be there to defend it. Period. Some don't necessarily agree with this war. But our repect for the military goes to the core of our being. This isn't a stand for Bush, it's a stand to protect the memorial. Period.

Cobra

I think the division is that most of the nation now questions why we are really in Iraq at all.

I'm the one Cobra is talking about. I told him about this and we are more than likely going. As far as the Gathering of Eagles is concerned, this has nothing to do with Iraq and everything to do with this wall. We are going to be there to defend it. Period. Some don't necessarily agree with this war. But our repect for the military goes to the core of our being. This isn't a stand for Bush, it's a stand to protect the memorial. Period.

.......and, by God, that's right !!!! For these protestors to assemble and march is their right as American citizens......for them to choose the Vietnam Memorial, or any veterans memorial to stage their protest is an affront and an insult to the sacrifice that our friends, relatives, and brothers in arms made for our country. Agree or disagree with the war in Iraq......but don't use our honored dead, who gave their all in service to our country, as a backdrop for spitting on their memory. If they can't respect, then you must eject....... (how's that??)

I can't go for this event, but my heart is with all who do................

Cobra,

I agree with RangerM9. I would never disparage the office of the President of the United States however he is a public servant, just like me. I did not agree with the arguments for the war, but I carried out my orders as quickly as possible and to the best of my abilities. I have no regrets and I believe that I went in there with both eyes wide open, which is to say that I expected to have been lied to and I was not surprised that end troop numbers were figured out by DOD bean counters while General Shinseki, who had the courage to tell the truth, was marginalized and eventually replaced.

I wholeheartedly agree with anyone that wants to protect the monuments from vandals and I would be right there with the rest of the vets protecting them. But I do not buy into the argument that to demand the troops get out of Iraq is somehow wrong. If anything, we should be finishing the fight in Afghanistan instead of relying on NATO to do it for us. Regardless, Iraq has weakened our military capabilites which puts us in greater danger, not less.

We got hit with terrorist attacks and instead of focusing on the things that have made America great, our fears were pandered to and used against us. The enemy jihadists consider every American their sworn enemy. Instead of allowing every American the means to defend themselves and the nation as a whole, we had more and more civil liberties taken away for the sake of national security. It boggles my mind that the best advice the rail service can give passengers is to call a number if they see something or someone they think is suspicious. We have gun-free school zones that are just ripe for Beslan type tactics because teachers can not arm themselves and no one questions this. And I cannot believe none of our politicians have realized that the Constitution of the United States contains all the legislation we need to defend ourselves and remain proud of who we are and what we stand for.

It is my greatest fear that for the sake of national security we have started on the path towards a totalitarion state and this administration will have paved the way. But we are certainly culpable because we have not held them accountable for their actions. And we certainly lose more than we gain if we do anything to stifle anyone's voice regarding the war and the way it has been prosecuted...even if that person is Cindy Sheehan or her like.

I am damn proud of my service. I'm not so sure that I am damn proud of my country right now. But I will serve and continue to serve not for this particular president nor for our elected leaders but for the idea of America and the greatness of her past. For the hope that we find greatness again through true strength in our numbers and our common bonds. For that I'd wage war on her enemies, empty handed if need be.

With the utmost sincerity and respect,

GunnyR

I think that we need a contributers' veterans and servicemen section....

not saying that you need to contribute, but it is a perk. our serveicemen should be rewarded, if only a small thing, if I can help.

would this be a good function to add to this petty little bbs??? I thnk it would be the least we could do for you all....

Gunny I hear what you are saying and thanks for serving under what you consider to be bad leadership. I refuse to discuss that matter however. One, I hate to get involved in political, religious, or racial debates (these can not be won), and more importantly, Two, Just like Racegal said Ranger is missing the point if he thinks this thread is about stopping sheehan's march to the Pentagon or squelching her right to free speech. You guys please read again what she said. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE WAR OR THE ADMINISTRATION, IT'S ABOUT THE MEMORIALS, THE VIET NAM WALL IN PARTICULAR. My dad was there in Nam and didn't even meet me until 1969 when I was almost 4. He's got lots of buddies on that wall who never saw their loved ones again. Then when he came home he had a bunch of fucking hippies talkin shit about him and his friends like they had done something evil and wrong. Can you imagine what that would be like returning from the sandbox and having stupid people disrespect you and your dead friends like that and worse? I have no plans whatsoever to walk around carrying a sign or to waste my energy on that rediculous Jane Fonda wannabe or her cause. I will however, do whatever I can to keep some jerk from defacing sacred memorials after he gets all pumped up with sheehan's nonsense and gets out of control.

Ranger you guys have every right to stand behind her if that's what you believe, I'm not buying any of her crap (my opinion).

In retrospect, I see how this got started off wrong and I have renamed the thread to more accurately represent the purpose of this. I did ask for responses, "positive OR negative" so that could be misconstrued as an invitation to political debate. That wasn't my intention, sorry.

Here's a little political humor to try and ease the tension...lol.

An Archaelogical discovery at a site in Washington, DC could be the one of the greatest in history. The bones unearthed at this site were purported to be over 10,000 years old and are thought to be those of the first politician.

post-1293-1172735079.jpg

Hey now you're talkin! Let's make it a dual purpose mission! Are there any places to shoot near Washington without being buried under the jail? We could get a bunch of Saigaholics together for our own little march! You and Juggernaut bring your better halfs and your Vet friends and I'll definately be there in full force! Can you even drive thru Maryland with cool guns in the truck?

Seriously with all the BS about a new AWB in the works we should consider assembling in HUGE show of support FOR what they cosider to be EVIL weapons of mass destruction. A couple of years ago on gunsnet someone was trying to put something like that together but it fizzled I think.

Need back-up? I can arm 30+ volunteers if someone brings some steaks & beer...

Clio, Home of the Michigan Militia! J/K!

(it would be funnier if you knew the area!)

I thought D.C. was no guns!

Edited by Juggernaut

Hello

I can not physically be there, but I would be proud to be able to help.

How 'bout if somebody who is going (Juggernaut, perhaps?) sets up a PayPal fund to help defray expenses for those who are going?

Those of us who are only able to be there in spirit can feel like we helped (if even just a little bit...)

I got $100.00 to start things off....

With the utmost respect,

Guido2 in Houston

Hello

How 'bout if somebody who is going (Juggernaut, perhaps?) sets up a PayPal fund to help defray expenses for those who are going?

Those of us who are only able to be there in spirit can feel like we helped (if even just a little bit...)

With the utmost respect,

Guido2 in Houston

Guido2,

Man, I am DEEPLY humbled and honored by your incredibly generous offer.

It literally moved me to tears. Truly humbling.

I whole heartedly appreciate your patriotism and love of Country.

God has blessed me with my own small print shop and do my best to pursue the American dream.

I am by no means a rich man financially. ( I am bless with a wonderful family and friends and that is all the wealth I need.)

I am more than able to pay my own way If the Wife and I can take the time off.

I CAN NOT in good consciousness accept your offer, but PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE do not be offended.

I think your hard earned dollar could go so much farther at a V.A. Hospital or something of that nature.

Also know that if I am able to attend that I will be representing you and so many other countless patriots who wish to be there in spirit.

You are truly an incredible person with a golden heart and I thank you from the bottom of mine.

God Bless you Brother.

Semper Fi

Drew

Edited by Juggernaut
Hello

With the utmost respect,

Guido2 in Houston

Guido2,

Man, I am DEEPLY humbled and honored by your incredibly generous offer.

It literally moved me to tears. Truly humbling.

I whole heartedly appreciate your patriotism and love of Country.

God has blessed me with my own small print shop and do my best to pursue the American dream.

I am by no means a rich man financially. ( I am bless with a wonderful family and friends and that is all the wealth I need.)

I am more than able to pay my own way If the Wife and I can take the time off.

I CAN NOT in good consciousness accept your offer, but PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE do not be offended.

I think your hard earned dollar could go so much farther at a V.A. Hospital or something of that nature.

Also know that if I am able to attend that I will be representing you and so many other countless patriots who wish to be there in spirit.

You are truly an incredible person with a golden heart and I thank you from the bottom of mine.

God Bless you Brother.

Semper Fi

Drew

Hello, Juggernaut

Sir, I, in turn, am deeply humbled by your response.

How about those who may be in a financial bind if they elect to attend? I bet there are many who would go if the financial "edge" were softened a bit...In fact, I bet you meet folks there who may not be as fortunate but would sure appreciate someone recognizing that they could use a room to crash or whatever....Not to mention the unforseen costs of traveling there and staying reasonably comfortable for the duration.

And, if we, as a "group" could feel like we were maybe doing this together, well, I think it would be pretty cool....

Kudo's to you and all who are making the trek...Pretty noble endeavor!

Wit the utmost of respect,

Guido2 in Houston

A little psyche up vid perhaps?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHpJ2a6Qnk...ted&search=

Oh yeah...just for fun look at Juggernaut's avatar while this is playin! You can tell he's psyched! :super:

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Hello

With the utmost respect,

Guido2 in Houston

As far as I'm concerned, if you spread the word to as many people as you can, you've helped more than you'll ever know. We need as many people up there as we can get. It's too important. But I thank you for the offer.