saiga-12 magwell question

i know this is an oft-mentioned topic, but combining the solid connection of the AK-style rock&lock with the celerity of insertion afforded by the AR-style magwells is pretty much a holy grail for alot of folks who (perhaps in an honest moment of reflection) question their ability to do a quick and reliable insertion with either system- say- in a SHTF/IZH scenario...

regardless: i've seen the "solution" with the proprietary mags- meh <_<

which prompted me to wonder: "why not just make some feedlips on either side of the insertion hole, perhaps slightly flared at the bottom, to guide a standard mag in?"

i saw the "speed-load" model by Krebs, but i can't quite tell from the pic... is this it? does somebody have one of these?

speedload1.jpg

....if so, could they/I do this on an S12?

sorry about the language...

when i'm not troubling you all with occasionally-nooby questions, i'm running regressions on political trends or delivering dissertations about impediments to democracy abroad, and the language i have to use for that stuff is infectious

-i didn't mean to come off as condescending or presumtious :bag:

and i did all that prefacing so i wouldn't have to reply to people posting as to why i shouldn't care or how this question has been asked before

-if i came off as nerdy, i'll accept that, and i'll try not to backpeddle so much (also par for the course in IR) :google:

alls i was wondering was if the Krebs guys had made "the simple feedlip solution", because the pics are only from one angle and they make no reference to the part on their site. :huh:

Red-9 I followed you easily being I am also an abuser of English's ambiguity except for the use of IZH. Whats that? If you go to highroad.org there is a funny posting about an alternate meaning of SHTF, Squirrel Hiding in The Furnace.

I have something on order from ORF that's perked my interest along these lines. It's an adapter that allows AR mags to be used in a .223 Galil. To date I think atleast four different versions have been produced by Israel and the U.S. for the Galil.

The fact that our S12 and Galil are AK based, and that AR mags are retained by a tab in the side (easy to cut in a plastic S12 mag) leads me to believe that this is someting that can be made for our Saiga's. Even better is that the .223 version requires no modification to the gun, and the original mags can still be used.

post-1866-1173999073_thumb.jpg

The Krebs "speed load" mod is just a shield on one side of the mag well to aid lateral alignment of the mag during insertion. It apparently works well for its intended purpose, but pretty much eliminates the ability to reload while shooting the gun left-handed...

• 3 weeks later...
The Krebs "speed load" mod is just a shield on one side of the mag well to aid lateral alignment of the mag during insertion. It apparently works well for its intended purpose, but pretty much eliminates the ability to reload while shooting the gun left-handed...

i wonder... why is it only on one side? if it were on both sides, couldn't it create a more useable mawell?

i know this may sould a little retarted; it's just that there are plenty of rifles out there that secure the mag in a manner similar to the AK-style, and some (like, say.. the g36) that use what one can actually call a magwell.

magazinhalter-g36-2.jpg

magazinschacht-g36.jpg

magazinhalter-g36.jpg

Harden up man with alot of practice its easy to load a mag

get back to that range and after youve fired another 2000 + rounds youll be sweet

Practice does make perfect, but.... the less practice needed, the better. Before the gun was invented, an archer had to prctice for years to be good with a bow. When the gun was introducted you could take 100 people and in one day have 99 of them hitting the target almost everytime.

Harden up man with alot of practice its easy to load a mag

get back to that range and after youve fired another 2000 + rounds youll be sweet

Practice does make perfect, but.... the less practice needed, the better. Before the gun was invented, an archer had to prctice for years to be good with a bow. When the gun was introducted you could take 100 people and in one day have 99 of them hitting the target almost everytime.

+1

i totally endorse that

to add to your story: it took over a year to train a farmer into a moderate archer, to train a moderate crossbowman it took one week.

(overall an expert archer is better than an expert crossbowman in those days, but an average crossbowman is way better than an average archer...)

indeed, that is what is often regarded as Napoleon's genius: the citizen-soldier

-the concept that one can raise and replenish a massive army through the citizenry and peasantry; the crux of this idea being the technological advances that had been made in arms. (i.e. a peasant with a great rifle can match or beat a professional soldier with a basic or substandard armament.)

...which could explain the psychology of why we, as citizens, desire to own the awesomest arms we can.

indeed, that is what is often regarded as Napoleon's genius: the citizen-soldier

-the concept that one can raise and replenish a massive army through the citizenry and peasantry; the crux of this idea being the technological advances that had been made in arms. (i.e. a peasant with a great rifle can match or beat a professional soldier with a basic or substandard armament.)

...which could explain the psychology of why we, as citizens, desire to own the awesomest arms we can.

on that note... i want my shipment of frag-12 rounds