My .223 almost took a swim yesterday...

So I took the Saiga & my AR out to a friends to let them play a little :devil: . The AR behaved it self just fine. But the Saiga was being a handfull. Enough to make me want to throw it in the creek we were shooting accross.

I would load a mag (tried 2 bulgie waffles and I think a belgum one) stick 'er in and the 1st round would load and fire fine. The second round would feed too low and get jamed (above the bullet guide, below the chamber). After the round was cleared, put the mag back in, bring the action back, let it slam forward, and the round would go right in. Fire it, and the next round would do the same thing.

I read this recent post, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=15829 but I think my problem is diff.

Dinzag is sending me a new bullet guide with my latest order from him, so we'll see if this fixes it.

Any other help would be great.

maybe this is a dumb question- are you using .223 mags or 5.45x39mm mags (ak74)? AK74 mags need a bit of work on the follower to feed the less tapered .223 round.

They are all .223 mags.

The factory saiga one feeds flawlessly BTW.

Search this forum for examples of dremmeling a second "ramp" at the bottom of the opening of the chamber. That willl cure all your feed problems. Of course, I am assuming that you have added a bullet guide to the gun, which is also essential.

Have a bullet guide in it, another (new) one on the way. If that does not fix it, I will resort to the dremmel.

Are you sure the carrier isn't short stroking? Are you running a buffer, if so take it out and try. It sound to me like the carrier isn't being pushed back far enough and your getting a FTF on the second round if it

chambers correctly when you manually pull it back and let it fly. Maybe try some hotter ammo?

We just touched that chamber entry with the dremel. It has one of the old pipe guides in it. We never got to go run it & test it properly after we did that. We did have some success what little we did shoot.

Try out the new guide first before pitching in the creek. If I remember that chamber bevel we put in was pretty small. Better to start small & go from there.

The new guide will give it more lift.

Good luck & please let me know how it performs.

It's not short stroking.

It was been performing fine since Dinzag's conversion. Only recently it has starte acting up.

The chamber entry was lighty touched.

I need to do a little work on the new guide to get it in there.

I'll let you know when I get it done.

Thanks again.

Well it took a little work but I got the new feed ramp in there. Seems to be working MUCH better. Ran an entire mag through it by hand with no flaws.

Hopfully I can get out sometime this weekend and put some down range.

Thanks dinzag.

Search this forum for examples of dremmeling a second "ramp" at the bottom of the opening of the chamber. That willl cure all your feed problems. Of course, I am assuming that you have added a bullet guide to the gun, which is also essential.

Have a bullet guide in it, another (new) one on the way. If that does not fix it, I will resort to the dremmel.

You will need to do BOTH: bullet guide AND dremmel feed ramp WITHOUT going into the chamber area when doing so.

You will need to do BOTH: bullet guide AND dremmel feed ramp WITHOUT going into the chamber area when doing so.

FWIW, my Saiga feeds fine (with dinzag's bullet guide) without any dremel work on the mouth of the chamber.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, etc., etc., etc...

Interesting, how people with out seen the gun try to fix a problem.

Before into going dremeling and doing stuff that cant be irreversible

I will look into the gun with out the cover and see whats cooking with it

as you run the bolt and ammo true it, usually the angle of the bullet guide

will give you a bad feed, like the nose of the bullet hitting the

face barrel below the chamber area, but how knows until dont have

the gun and see it in person I cant say whats cooking with it, that

mean all is plain speculation.

Like calling the doctor and telling him on the phone that your

chest hurts and he telling you that you just have a heart attack

just plain speculation.

Hey if you going to send the puppy to sleep with the fish

hey can all ways find a new home for it

I take bad puppies all the time.

Edited by vjor

Well every thing is working good.

Here is the new guide in there... Sorry for the low quality, my phone is the only camera I have.

bulletguide3fu9.jpg

With the new break...

akwithbreak2ld8.jpg

I havn't decided if she is going to get the handguard conversion yet, or if my AR is getting an M4 stock 1st.

Edited by Pyzik
I havn't decided if she is going to get the handguard conversion yet...

It's beautiful the way it is - IMHO...

(Who made the grip? ;>)

Edited by Bad Bob
It's beautiful the way it is - IMHO...

(Who made the grip? ;>)

The grip is just a saw grip with a bikini grip sliped over it. It was some work getting it on there.

It made the grip larger in diameter, if you have small hands, I would recommend useing a smaller diameter grip than the saw style.

I think it feels ten times better than the saw grip though. The grooves in the saw grip hurt my hands when shooting alot.