Shells through your Saiga?

Just wondering how much ammo you guys have through your Saigas? How much better does it function ( specifically)? What have been your replacement parts thus far (not including conversions)? I still have yet to shoot mine after about a month. I might just keep it and buy another one to mess with. Plus, I have a hell of alot of other things to shoot including DE.50. I love this forum. Thanks.

Around 2500 give or take a few hundred. The most wear I have on my gun is from the rear trunnion and bolt carrier where I shot buck and slugs on the #2 gas setting(looks as if it was hit by hammer a few times). My finish is pretty much worn away around the trigger and bolt carrier as well as the muzzle.

Around 2500 give or take a few hundred. The most wear I have on my gun is from the rear trunnion and bolt carrier where I shot buck and slugs on the #2 gas setting(looks as if it was hit by hammer a few times). My finish is pretty much worn away around the trigger and bolt carrier as well as the muzzle.

So, would a buffer help w/trunnion impact or is it just cosmetic? Also, how does the bolt action feel? Is it smooth when you manually bring it to battery and rack it back slowly? Or does it feel catchy? Know what I mean? For instance, my S-12 gets stuck when the ejector gets exposed and going into battery and the bolthead turns. Granted it's new, but will that issue go away? Your opinion is appreciated.

I got Remington Sport AA because on another thread that was recommended. I shot about 50 of this no problem. I got some 00 buckshot and slugs I want to try out too.

I just made it over the 3200 round mark with my last 250 case of Nobel 00. I have cut 4 of backjacks buffers nearly clean through, so my rear trinion does not look all that bad. I have recently noticed though that without a buffer I do get a slightly lower FTF factor, but can't verify really since i've been playing with tuning AGP mags and such.

Shooting high volumes of rounds with a shotgun takes a while, which is good considering the cost per shot. I'll take my AK out ever few weeks and dump 300 rounds through it in an afternoon (damn those 40round mags). You won't do that to often with a 12gauge unless you like pain.

I buy whatever is cheap and it all seems to cycle fine, even on #1 setting. This seems to be unique between guns tho. Somebody put up a really cool link about some old rusty, rotten ammo that shoved into the chamber and ejected in a cloud of rust. The s12 kept cycling even full of crud. If somebody could advise of that link again?

Just wondering how much ammo you guys have through your Saigas? How much better does it function ( specifically)? What have been your replacement parts thus far (not including conversions)? I still have yet to shoot mine after about a month. I might just keep it and buy another one to mess with. Plus, I have a hell of alot of other things to shoot including DE.50. I love this forum. Thanks.

i've used nothing but bricks of federal #7 $15-ish per 100... no problems to speak of

So, would a buffer help w/trunnion impact or is it just cosmetic? Also, how does the bolt action feel? Is it smooth when you manually bring it to battery and rack it back slowly? Or does it feel catchy? Know what I mean? For instance, my S-12 gets stuck when the ejector gets exposed and going into battery and the bolthead turns. Granted it's new, but will that issue go away? Your opinion is appreciated.

It would help a lot, keep metal to metal contact out of cycling and buffer the felt recoil a bit(not much). My bolt is smooth, before the 200-300 round mark my gun would catch on the Hammer and sometimes it would take a bit more force to get it over it. My ejector is still "catchy" when it is going into battery; I believe its supposed to be all the time.

BTW what type of ammo works better for your S-12? Still a newbie.

Mine will cycle anything, but it doesn't like the cheaper wally-world winchester 3" buckshot, If you go get the winchester buck go for the 2 3/4" seems to be more reliable.

Edited by Genocide

I cant say for sure but i guess around 400-500 or so.Doesnt sound like much but its not a clay piegon buster.All i shoot is 2 3/4" OO buck and slugs once in awile.Ive shot Wolf,Noble,Federal,Rem and realy have no prefurance...they all go boom when i pull the trigger.I have a Rem 870 with extention thats the home defence gun and only use Federal and Rem as there a bit shorter than Wolf or Noble...the 7rds fit in the extended tube better.

I am well past the 10,000 mark. I fired the first 3500-4000 without even cleaning the gun once.

I havent replaced a single part so far. I DID fire the thing one the wrong gas setting with 3" crackhead killers (15 pellet buck), on accident, and loosened up my gas piston a bit, but I had an old school machinist weld it with some odd metal because it was potsteel and chrome that was joined.

I'm somewhere in the 2-3k range, mostly birdshot but I've fired slugs and buck through it. Put a buffer in because its a 5.00 dollar investement on a 400 dollar gun Never had a failure to eject, feed or fire that hasn't been easily explained (and not the guns fault) with my black s-12. With the camo one it eats everything on #1 setting and hungers for more

I am well past the 10,000 mark. I fired the first 3500-4000 without even cleaning the gun once.

I havent replaced a single part so far. I DID fire the thing one the wrong gas setting with 3" crackhead killers (15 pellet buck), on accident, and loosened up my gas piston a bit, but I had an old school machinist weld it with some odd metal because it was potsteel and chrome that was joined.

That's hard to believe 4000 rds. w/o cleaning. Wouldn't the build up stop the action?

I'm somewhere in the 2-3k range, mostly birdshot but I've fired slugs and buck through it. Put a buffer in because its a 5.00 dollar investement on a 400 dollar gun Never had a failure to eject, feed or fire that hasn't been easily explained (and not the guns fault) with my black s-12. With the camo one it eats everything on #1 setting and hungers for more

So, the buffer isn't a good idea? FTF's not good.

That's hard to believe 4000 rds. w/o cleaning. Wouldn't the build up stop the action?

So, the buffer isn't a good idea? FTF's not good.

Sorry I should of specified, the one FTF was with somebody who a) hadn't shot alot (i think they were holding the gun away from their shoulder) and B) didn't seat the mag fully in the gun

the buffer has given me zero problems, and I'm on my 3rd case of ammo (between 500 and 750 rounds) with the buffer.

buffers work good, especially for the heavier loads, if you ask me.

the only reason I even cleaned the gun was because I shot a ton of rotten shells down the gun in the dead of winter, so I had chuncks of rotten cases in my mag and in the action. I fired a few too many shells down it that day on setting 2 when I should have been on "1", which caused the loose bolt piston/rod/whatever, which I didnt know at the time when I cleaned it, so the dirt didnt even cause the jamming issue in the first place.

that isnt the same thing as a 19" barrel on setting two though, tony. I put a bunch of 2 3/4" slugs down mine and then a mag of crackhead killers, and the next mag of mixed shells was when my jams started.

4,700 rounds of Speer Lawman OO Buck went throught the Florida PD SWAT demo gun (8"). The thing still looks like new. All shots were fired on gas setting #2.

Tony

wow!!, how long did it take for them to fire 4,700 rds?

I wasn't debating the issue. Just stating the specs on the highest round count Saiga that I know of.

Tony

Tony, Your the man. And I love your art. I have the S-06. IT'S BADASS MAN !!!! Thanks for kicking it up another knotch.

4,700 rounds of Speer Lawman OO Buck went throught the Florida PD SWAT demo gun (8"). The thing still looks like new. All shots were fired on gas setting #2.

Tony

wow!!, how long did it take for them to fire 4,700 rds?

Yea. How long? Was it still point on?