7.62x39 Steel Cased Ammo

I have heard from a couple of gun guys I know and they say that the steel case ammo is bad for the AK-47. They say that the hard steel case will affect the receiver and accuracy of the weapon. Is there any truth to this? I figure the AK is pretty durable to those forces and wouldn't be affected, also the steel case seems so much cheaper.

AK's were designed from the start to use low quality, steel cased ammo. The steel they use for the cases is actualy quite soft and no danger to the reciever or any part of the gun. The AK's massive extractor will extract steel cases with ease. If anything, it is AR's that sometimes have trouble with the steel cased stuff. Though there are plenty of AR's that take the steel stuff without trouble.

AK's were designed from the start to use low quality, steel cased ammo. The steel they use for the cases is actualy quite soft and no danger to the reciever or any part of the gun. The AK's massive extractor will extract steel cases with ease. If anything, it is AR's that sometimes have trouble with the steel cased stuff. Though there are plenty of AR's that take the steel stuff without trouble.

Ok that is what I was thinking, thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah ive shot about 600 rounds though my ak now and its just as good as the beginning... I dont know why he says that the steel is bad for AK, he says something about weakening receiver.

It just doesn't make sense to me... well at least i get to laugh at him when he buys his expensive WInchester 7.62 ammo for $13 / box while im shooting Wolf for $3.50 / box.

I have heard from a couple of gun guys I know and they say that the steel case ammo is bad for the AK-47. They say that the hard steel case will affect the receiver and accuracy of the weapon. Is there any truth to this? I figure the AK is pretty durable to those forces and wouldn't be affected, also the steel case seems so much cheaper.

Think it's BS. The AK receiver is good for tens of thousands of rounds through it.

• 4 months later...

The case has little to do with how hard ammo is on your gun. The only things I would worry about when buying ammo for my gun is if the primer or powder is corrosive (will cause about the same effect as rust on your gun if not cleaned well) and bimetal/steel jacketed bullets (will increase barrel wear). But most of these things are only found in old foreign surplus ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

No, steel cased ammo will not harm the AK or SKS rifles. They were designed for it. The extractors are heat treated for the use of steel cased ammo. The reason that some AR users experience problems is because the extractors were not heat treated to use steel case so they wear quickly. Same with the Mini 14.

Another problem with AR's is that they have an aluminum receiver encasing moving steel parts. The fact that they defecate where they eat adds to the problems that many AR users experience if the firearm isn't kept very clean. Add a little dirt or sand in there, and you have the affect of course grit sandpaper rubbing into the critical parts and loosening the action.

That is the reason the Iraqis don't want the M16 our government is giving them. They don't work all that well in that environment, and they know that they cannot count on our government for much longer. They need a weapon system that they can readily get parts for so the AK is the weapon of choice.

I'm shooting steel cased ammo in my Mini-14 with no problems. The US military used steel cased ammo in World War II to save on brass and didn't have problems either.

The biggest problem some rifles will have result from the lacquer used on the steel cases if it builds up in the chamber. Other parts like extractors may break when a case is stuck. One solution is to clean the chamber. The new polymer coated steel cased reduced the problem.

• 1 month later...
I'm shooting steel cased ammo in my Mini-14 with no problems. The US military used steel cased ammo in World War II to save on brass and didn't have problems either.

The biggest problem some rifles will have result from the lacquer used on the steel cases if it builds up in the chamber. Other parts like extractors may break when a case is stuck. One solution is to clean the chamber. The new polymer coated steel cased reduced the problem.

will regular cleaning solvent remove the lacquer?

dunno, but if its shellac mased lacquer, alcohol will dissolve it.

just scrub the chamber with a bronze chamber brush, or 40 caliber handgun brush. all AKMs have chrome lined chambers and barrels, and even a steel brush shouldnt mess with the chroming, as it is a much harder metal.