Best flash hider

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Functionality in what way? You mean actually hiding the flash?

Most people buy them for looks, although a few customers have reported reduced recoil with the shark brake.

Most people buy them for looks, although a few customers have reported reduced recoil with the shark brake.

you shut your DIRTY MOUTH... the almighty shark break is a flash enlarger :devil:

Do you mean the Shark break isn't SUPPOSED to reduce recoil?!?!?

If you were being facetious and the Shark really is supposed to reduce recoil and you were just being tounge-in-cheek for the 'flash reduction' part of the question, then I apologise. I am just slow this AM.

C-

you shut your DIRTY MOUTH... the almighty shark break is a flash enlarger :devil:

:lolol::lolol:

You should have said "dirty, whorish mouth"

Tough crowd.

I'm just trying to find out if this guy wants a flash hider or a muzzle brake.

Either way, he's got problems. IMO, there's no really effective solution for these issues on a shotgun, although as I said "...a few customers have reported reduced recoil with the shark brake. "

Tough crowd.

Either way, he's got problems. IMO, there's no really effective solution for these issues on a shotgun, although as I said "...a few customers have reported reduced recoil with the shark brake. "

It is obviously a flash suppressor. Those that wish some way of making more flash with their Saiga-12 obviously enjoy it as a toy. There is nothing wrong with that, but as a weapon, muzzle flash is a major problem!

As to the effects of the Shark Brake as true Muzzle Break, well you can hang several Oz of anything on the end of your barrel and get some recoil deflection. Duct Tape a brick to it, you will see what I mean.

Do not get me wrong, it seems an highly effective design, to back someone off of you in interpersonal encounter, and to stab into the wood of a door to blow a lock or hinge! I would also imagine that it does have a flash minimizing action.

But the porting does not look effective to act as a Muzzle Brake. I do not believe that was the intention of the designer. That said I have never fired one and am just expressing my opinion based on years of experience with both muzzle brakes and flash suppressors. I am aware that the designer is on the forum and may have wish to correct my impressions. I am always open to an education.

lol Tony...

Azrial..."It is obviously a flash suppressor" It wasn't designed as one, or a brake for that matter.

As I just said, I don't think an effective muzzle brake OR flash hider exists for a 12-ga shotgun. Cobra's experience with our rifle brake is common, though.

well I cant tell you empirically whether flash hiders work or not on shotguns.

but when I was shooting my tromix saiga-12 w/16.5" barrel and fixed birdcage flash hider, it was not as bright as my freinds winchester 1300 defender model w/18" barrel. totally subjective, but we both agreed. but no, it doesnt work nearly as well as a FH on a rifle.

I wouldnt have gotten a flash hider, but I bought one of those saigas with a fixed choke. that bullshit just had to go, so I got a FH. I cant seem to decide whether I am glad I did. it seems to work slightly, and it protects the crown. but then again extra barrel=extra velocity. I definitly wouldn't have made my gun longer with a removable one though.

as for muzzle breaks, I dont use them, so dont ask me. I hate that fireball right in front of the sights, especially at night.

Valley bitch lol! :lolol: +1... cool lookin shit sells big.

At least I'm the baddest bitch in the local valley :devil:

Here are some of the things I like to dress up my Russian bitches with...lol. :rolleyes:

post-1293-1180985826_thumb.jpg

cobra, are any of those muzzle attachments functional in reducing muzzle climb?

off topic, anyone seen good results with barrel porting in 12 ga pumps?

thanks

I would have to say yes, the '74 style brake does seem to help with that. At least I know I can dump a whole 12 rd mag rapidfire and still be pretty much aiming at my target. Haven't tried that with the Shark yet but my guess is it helps too. They both have ports angled up and back.

With all these guys and their fancy schmancy video cams and software, it seems like someone would have posted some comparison pics by now...

Tough crowd.

oh... i agree with that statement

but flash and sound amplifier

I have one I got off of Ebay a while back.

It is a slotted, quasi-AR15 type.

Doesn't do a damn thing except look cool...............

that is the key point... although it is my belief that due to the amplified sound... the shark brake is redirecting some of the blast... therefore further stabilizing the barrel... of course my scientific proof is the hearing loss in my left ear...

so yet again... IT'S ALL IN MY DAMNED HEAD

I have one I got off of Ebay a while back.

It is a slotted, quasi-AR15 type.

Doesn't do a damn thing except look cool...............

that is the key point... although it is my belief that due to the amplified sound... the shark brake is redirecting some of the blast... therefore further stabilizing the barrel... of course my scientific proof is the hearing loss in my left ear...

so yet again... IT'S ALL IN MY DAMNED HEAD

Not just you bro. That rifle brake directs so much of the blast back atcha you can feel the heat off it!

The shotgun makes such an awesome flash in the dark! I shot slugs and buckshot for the first time out of my S12 this weekend. It did not hurt at all but they have kick for sure and more significant muzzle rise. I am thinking about getting a polychoke.

Since we are talking muzzle brakes I ordered this one. I had hoped it would help a little with muzzle rise since I noticed my saiga pops up significantly more than my yugo SKS. Bottom line is yeah it looks cool but after reading the comment about the ebay quasi ar15 slotted type I suspect this one is real similar. I really like cool but am not much on putting up with annoyances to acquire it.

Question. Anyone have one of these and will it do anything good for me besides look gnarly?

DPH Phantom

Any truly effective muzzle brake is going to increase the noise level a lot on a 7.62 x39, even a .223.

That's how it works. It takes some of that forward energy and directs it upwards and backwards or out the sides, pushing the muzzle down to counter the rise and stabilizing it to counter what's known as "muzzle flip". Look at the "slant" brake on AK-47s. It is slanted back to direct forces upward and angled to the side to correct the tendancy of the AK to "flip" to the side. On a brake like the Shark or the '74 style, the force of the blast pushing forward on the gun instead of propelling it back against your shoulder is like putting on the "brakes" on that kick.

The '74 brake is well known as one of the most effective but it will definately make the gun louder. This is also true with the Shark. You have to take the good with the bad.