Bought a new Saiga-12 on Saturday

I bought my first Saiga 12 on Saturday at the local gun show. It was new in the box and has never been fired. Do I need to do anything to the gun before I go out and shoot it?

Two things:

1 -- Throw away the chemically treated paper that the Saiga is wrapped in. While it helps preserve the shotgun, it isn't good to be in very much contact with it. (This is according to tahe folks at Saiga/Ishevzk.)

2 -- Clean the Saiga thoroughly. (Again, according to tahe folks at Saiga/Ishevzk.)

Now, get the heck out there and enjoy!

That could be a loaded question!

Just what should you run through a brand new S-12 being fired for the first time????

I tend to stick with 12ga shotgun shells, but that's just me.

Sorry! I couldn't resist :lolol:

Honestly, I haven't used anything but Wallyworld el cheapo bird loads, and it has run like a charm from the get-go.

Edited by GatorGunner

As long as you are just using your factory five rd mag and have done no mods whatsoever to the gun you should be able to set the gas regulator on #2 and shoot just about anything (12 ga...lol) thru it. I'm speaking of normal 2.75" minimum bird shot or whatever. Mine was flawless with Federal 7.5 shot with both 5 rd and 8rd factory mags. Many have suggested breaking it in good first by shooting a bunch of magnum loads thru it. That will help get past any possible cycling issues you may encounter. If you use that red winchester el crappo walmart ammo in it expect to have feed troubles. The hulls are soft and they mushroom out at the end causing them to catch on the sharp edge at the bottom of the breech.

Just remember the main thing. If you shoot any magnum loads, slugs, or buckshot, you want to change the regulator to the #1 setting to save your shoulder, and more importantly, the rear trunnion from taking a severe pounding.

Just my two cents, use some 3 inchers and work in that spring. Mine was extremely tight when new, and did not effectively cycle on lighter loads. Give her a good dueching.

Now she fires like a champ on all ammo, even the cheap wally world stuff.

Just my two cents, use some 3 inchers and work in that spring. Mine was extremely tight when new, and did not effectively cycle on lighter loads. Give her a good dueching.

Now she fires like a champ on all ammo, even the cheap wally world stuff.

and don't clean it till 500 rounds many people say

Welcome to Saiga 12 ownership.

I just inspected mine for excessive grease or oil (None found) and went out and shot it.

Function was perfect on mine with "Estate" #8 loads, Federal 00 Buck, and Brenneke Rotweil slugs.

Go out and have fun and let us know how much MORE you love your Saiga AFTER you shoot it.

I bought my first Saiga 12 on Saturday at the local gun show. It was new in the box and has never been fired. Do I need to do anything to the gun before I go out and shoot it?

1 -- Throw away the chemically treated paper that the Saiga is wrapped in. While it helps preserve the shotgun, it isn't good to be in very much contact with it. (This is according to tahe folks at Saiga/Ishevzk.)

Woah, woah!!! How irresponsible can we possibly get if we continue to let such hazardous statements continue to be made? Everybody knows the paper is supposed to be ... heck I forgot the word now. Whait is it, incinerated, irradigated?? Something like that, and now its not that funny anymore.

After unpacking annihilate the paper.......... :lol:

Reading the Saiga manual always gives me a chuckle!

Between the Art Deco-era nostalgia setup of the manual and the Russian variant of "Engrish," it is pretty damn funny. I annihilated my paper; I shot it. Ivan approved. :chris:

KW