Letter to the ATF regarding conversions

I have to agree on not sending the letter about p grips etc. As much as I would like a definate answer, It is better to leave it alone. We are legal right now by their definition as it stands.

I wouldn't even send the mag related letter. We already know that we are not going to see EAA importing them, so why stir anything up? If you must have them go to the guys over seas for them in limited numbers.

Bvamp: You remember Assassin's story on how his government "bought back" the guns they banned...bullying the public into excepting less $$$. I can't believe what they charge over there anyway, what did he say his saiga cost $1000+ US?

USMC_LB: I hold no grudges against anyone here. :smoke:

there is a gov. crawler that sifts through these forums, chat room traffic, emails, and websites and records it all into a two week cue. anything it finds, it checks every word/grammar/etc and records whatever is relevant or has certain keywords in it for later reviewal, I hope you know. it doesnt matter if the thread dies or not, they already have a copy of it. the gov. does whatever it damn well wants to. take the land buyouts around the country where people refused to sell, and the gov. just took the land.

Edited by Bvamp
Funny you should mention that, a lawyer here that felt like the PG conversions were illegal, suggested that I write the letter.

I bet that lawyer has his own personal agenda. Did you approach him, or he approach you? I think it's strange that a lawyer would come to any decision without doing any footwork. (From what you said, it sounded like he was asking you to gather all the info) To me, it sounds like he was just picking the safest stance on this issue by saying no Pgrip. That way, he doesn't end up giving you advice that ends up possibly breaking the law. Why not find a gun friendly lawyer, who would help instead of being against you? Overall, I see the law as pretty cut and dry. No reason to question it.

Like everyone said, "Let sleeping dogs lie."

there is a gov. crawler that sifts through these forums, chat room traffic, emails, and websites and records it all into a two week cue. anything it finds, it checks every word/grammar/etc and records whatever is relevant or has certain keywords in it for later reviewal, I hope you know. it doesnt matter if the thread dies or not, they already have a copy of it. the gov. does whatever it damn well wants to. take the land buyouts around the country where people refused to sell, and the gov. just took the land.

That's a lot of info to sift through.... I think deleting the posts is more so for the safety of if they come here in person.... I still think I might delete my conversion post....

Salmonaxe: Actually the lawyer is very gun friendly and my friend approached him because he's known him for a long time. When he told my friend he thought the PG conversion was illegal for the Saiga-12, my friend asked that I talk to the laywer because I knew the gun laws better. I talked to him and we agreed the only sure solution was to write the ATF. He doesn't have any secret motive, he's actually a pretty cool guy, he's just not sure its legal.

He's not going to be "sure" its legal until you pay him to do the research. That's why. Its good of him to save you money by suggesting you write the ATF, but that's certainly not the most discreet way to determine if the configuration is legal (by the way, it is).

Bottom line: If you can do the research, you can figure it out for yourself. If you can't, hire a lawyer. By asking an executive agency if something is legal or not, you are asking them to DECIDE if something is legal or not. The distinction is subtle, but critical.

If anyone trusts bush, they are as big of a fool as the ones who trust kerry. Bush has said several times that he would sign AWB extension. Either of these 2 hacks would sell their mother to win 5 percentage points in the next poll!

G O B

He's not going to be "sure" its legal until you pay him to do the research. That's why. Its good of him to save you money by suggesting you write the ATF, but that's certainly not the most discreet way to determine if the configuration is legal (by the way, it is).

Bottom line: If you can do the research, you can figure it out for yourself. If you can't, hire a lawyer. By asking an executive agency if something is legal or not, you are asking them to DECIDE if something is legal or not. The distinction is subtle, but critical.

Thanks ForGreatJustice, you put it much better than I possibly could have.

I just know that lawyers main motivations are business, doing something for free is not good business. Sorry if I jumped to any conclusions, but it didn't sound like your lawyer was helping you out. He just gave you simple and sound legal advice. A good lawyer, if you pay them enough, will figure out how to make the law work for you.

The law looks pretty cut and dry to me... no need for "clarification".

Huh, you guys are killing me, your paranoia is warranted when you're dealing with the government, but the lawyer I'm reffering to is just somebody I know through a friend, he is not "my lawyer" and I have not, nor am I going to pay him anything. I don't want you guys thinking that I've sided against you. I beleive there is nothing illegal here, which is why I was trying to convince him when he thought otherwise. I think this subject has been thoroughly beaten to death, I wish something more interesting would come up.

I don't think anyone thinks you're against us. I was just stating my opinion about lawyers.

I see that you were trying to make an informed decision whether you could make the conversion. We just got a little antsy when you decided to contact the ATF about it. Now that it's been resolved, it's no longer a problem.