Price check on saiga .223? What about one with mag dimples?

Classic Arms has 'em for $260. Ones with dimples reportedly exist but I've never seen one. Think Gilbert's Guns keeps an eye out for dimpled Saigas. You may want to check with them also.

Hey that's pretty cool, I requested the longer magazine bodies from RAAC, had a chat with an ATF guy and he said if it was for personal use then they didn't see a problem with the longer mag bodies in a converted rifle... never know though.. can just hope for the best...

I contacted raac and the rep guy said he already put in a request to russia to dimple their .223, 762 and 308 by the end of the year

Yea! :super:

At the risk of sounding ignorant... what is so special about the "dimpled receiver" rifle? Is the receiver thicker? Better heat treated? Reinforced? What is the point of having "dimpled" receiver?

Thanx

At the risk of sounding ignorant... what is so special about the "dimpled receiver" rifle? Is the receiver thicker? Better heat treated? Reinforced? What is the point of having "dimpled" receiver?

Thanx

The "dimples" serve as magazine 'guides' - they keep the mag from 'wobbling' side-to-side...

The dimples are more true to the military AK's. They are also used as a tactile cue to help find the mag well in the dark when in the field.

I asked this before but didn't get an answer...

Is there a way to add the dimples to an existing non dimpled rifle?

Don't think so. At least never heard of it being done. Remember how hard that receiver alloy is.

Yes, search in the forums at gunsnet or akfiles in the WASR section. Some of those guys like to add dimples to the formerly single stack guns. Its basically a male and female side smashed in a press.

Yes, search in the forums at gunsnet or akfiles in the WASR section. Some of those guys like to add dimples to the formerly single stack guns. Its basically a male and female side smashed in a press.

I have seen photos of a 223 Saiga that someone added dimples to. IIFC he said it was a major pain and would never do it again.

I have seen photos of a 223 Saiga that someone added dimples to. IIFC he said it was a major pain and would never do it again.

I would imagine it was a pain... the receiver is hardened from the factory, forming dimples in it after that would be a stone cold pants wetting bitch in my opinion.

I would imagine it was a pain... the receiver is hardened from the factory, forming dimples in it after that would be a stone cold pants wetting bitch in my opinion.

In full agreement here. The only way to properly dimple any kalashnikov receiver is while it is still a flat, and its metal is relatively soft. Once it is bent to shape and receives heat treating to harden it, trying to add dimples to the receiver becomes many times more difficult than before, primarily because of the newly acquired hardness of the receiver, but also because it is now a U-shape rather than flat. So even if you had a press that could apply the necessary pressure, trying to add the dimples without damaging or bending any other part of the receiver out of spec would be a real pain. If a user wants to add some sort of guide to reduce mag wobble, it is a far easier and much more practical option to tac weld some metal spacers on both sides of the inside of the magazine well. The only reason I could see for going with dimples instead of spacers, is if you were trying to recreate the look of a military AK, like the guy in micah360's link was doing.

What about spot welding two mag stabilizers on the inside of the receiver and then milling out two dimple indintations. You may have to MIG/TIG the sheet metal reciever to the spacers after milling. Then grind back to re-contour afterwards. Just a thought.