I just bought my first firearm. I didn't know what to get because I'm a noob, but after being shown a bunch of dinky BB-gun looking rifles, I ended up with a Saiga 20" 7.62 x 39 rifle. I haven't fired it yet - waiting on a friend to show me the ropes - but I'm psyched.

So for my question: can you explain the difference between the 20" and the 16" in terms that someone who knows nothing about guns could understand? Also, is there a basic FAQ about the gun that you'd recommend?

Attached is a pic of me with the rifle.

post-7206-1185666763_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebelGirl
I just bought my first firearm. I didn't know what to get because I'm a noob, but after being shown a bunch of dinky BB-gun looking rifles, I ended up with a Saiga 20" 7.62 x 39 rifle. I haven't fired it yet - waiting on a friend to show me the ropes - but I'm psyched.

So for my question: can you explain the difference between the 20" and the 16" in terms that someone who knows nothing about guns could understand? Also, is there a basic FAQ about the gun that you'd recommend?

Well, welcome Rebelgirl...nice gun for your 1st firearm...LOL I started w/ a pump pellet gun about 35 yrs. ago, but I guess times change! :devil: To get to your point....20" is the length of the 'barrel' on your gun. That's the part extending out the end where the bullets exit. Mine is 16" so it sticks out 4" less than yours. The Main difference is 'cosmetic' and maybe to some degree, accuracy at a distance. Longer is potentially better, but that is insignificant on this gun I think - other factors come into play - number one...the skill of the person shooting. Anyway, you're at the right place to get help on this awesome weapon. Great Choice! Get your friend to help you fire until you know the gun. (I live in Houston and would be glad to offer assistance if they aren't avail.) (LOL...well..)

Good luck! Just ask, I'm sure you'll get all the help you need here!

BS012 :chris:

Well, welcome. Congrats on your first firearm. Did you get to shoot it yet? Just curious.

It is always good to have another girl aboard. Watch out for these guys...they are crazy. J/K

Actually they are all a bunch of good guys!! :angel:

In fact, my hubby was just kidding about the hair comment (because you blocked out your head/face.) He posted my picture on here and I am like "take it off." So I understand.

I am sure that we will be have the chance to talk, I am not on here very much but I try to keep in touch.

Have fun on the forum and with your new riffle. :lolol:

there a basic FAQ about the gun that you'd recommend?

Very basic rules when it comes to guns

1) the gun is loaded...always assume its loaded

2) Don't point the muzzle (barrel, front of the gun) at anything your not willing to destroy

3) finger off the trigger till your ready to shoot

4) have fun, be safe, bring ear plugs and plenty of ammo

If you want a laugh read the manual, the broken english is entertaining. Mrs J. is right we are ok guys...just a little nutts.

The Tech Section will give you good technical info, reading the old posts will give ya some knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions and welcome to the forum.

and if your in the central Pa region (probally not with that name but..) I can give ya some range trips with other Saigas/ help on cleaning and maintaining

Hi rebelgirl, welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. If you look in the main index of this forum, there is a category "Tech Section". There is a LOT of info on these rifles and shotguns here. A lot of the users here are "do it yourselfers", so a lot of the info in that section is for the "amateur gunsmith", how to modify and make better.

If you want to start from the beginning, it may be tough to find the basic info in the middle of everything else. As you may or may not know, the Saiga is based on the Kalishnikov (AK-47) design. Some basic info can be found at the link below, including tutorials on how to assemble, disassemble, clean, etc. The pics may show ak's, and there may be subtle differences, but at heart, your gun is about the same. I think in poking around this forum, you'll find the members here are some of the most creative and friendly folks in the gun world you'll come across. It's only a matter of time that you are going to want to modify your gun in some way (bigger magazines to start). There are easily 2 dozen users here who check this board daily looking for noobs to help out, so ask any questions you want.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fieldstrip.htm

That'll tell you how to take the gun apart, check out the other tutorials on the left side of the page.

P.s. If your friend who's taking you shooting is a guy, it is your DUTY to read all you can and show him up in knowledge! :haha:

Not that I'm not guilty as well, but isn't it funny how this post got so many replies, and quickly too? Seems when a new guy posts for the first time, he doesn't get such plentiful and quick "welcome" replies. :D:P

RebelGirl, I'm in NY too, Binghamton area. What general area are you in? Let me know if you find any good ranges around.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Hey RG, I know many people have made some excellent suggestions regarding what you can do with you Saiga. PLEASE keep in mind that you live in NY and that state has some funky gun laws on what you can and can't do. Much of the info that you will find on modifications WILL NOT BE LEGAL in NY..

We have many NY members who are on top of all of your state law info.

In fact two are moderators.... Bvamp and Indy Arms...

hope this helps.

and for the rest of you knuckleheads....

Just be happy there is another girl on the board... Don't spook her.

DOWN BOYS! DOWN!!

good dogs!

and for the rest of you knuckleheads....

Just be happy there is another girl on the board... Don't spook her.

No harm intended :D .

As for the funky NY gun laws, the most annoying to me is the magazine ban on anything over 10 rounds, unless they are pre-ban.

Not that I'm not guilty as well, but isn't it funny how this post got so many replies, and quickly too? Seems when a new guy posts for the first time, he doesn't get such plentiful and quick "welcome" replies. :D:P

RebelGirl, I'm in NY too, Binghamton area. What general area are you in? Let me know if you find any good ranges around.

I'm on Long Island, which isn't really a great place to own a firearm - the soccer moms are out of control here! As for modifying the gun, I've been looking through the forums here and I'd really like to add a pistol grip, 30 round magazine and a new handguard - it could take me a while to figure it out, though. Thanks again for all your input.

Oh, and the Kalashnikitty picture pwns.

RG, I hate to be the berrer of bad news....But I don't think you can add a pistol grip in NY.

I'm not for sure though....... can some of you New Yorkers chime in here please?

I'm on Long Island, which isn't really a great place to own a firearm - the soccer moms are out of control here! As for modifying the gun, I've been looking through the forums here and I'd really like to add a pistol grip, 30 round magazine and a new handguard - it could take me a while to figure it out, though. Thanks again for all your input.

Oh, and the Kalashnikitty picture pwns.

Just make sure it is pre-ban to stay legal in NY.

RG, I hate to be the berrer of bad news....But I don't think you can add a pistol grip in NY.

I'm not for sure though....... can some of you New Yorkers chime in here please?

As far as I know, it's fine. I think if you do though, you can't have some of the other "evil" features. But I know the local Gander Mountain has quite a few AR's, which obviously are PG'ed.

Edited to add:

Got this from an old email. This goes for NY State. So if I'm reading it correctly, being that you have the detachable mag, you can have ONE other "evil" feature. So the pistol grip should be OK. I'm not a lawyer or Police Officer, so someone let me know if I'm wrong.

ASSAULT WEAPON" MEANS (A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST TWO OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;

(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF THE WEAPON;

(III) A BAYONET MOUNT;

(IV) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR OR THREADED BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A FLASH SUPPRESSOR;

Edited by 22_Shooter

Wow. Our forum is growing big time!

nice to see a variety of folks here.

The whole Saiga in Long Island thing is wild. But I've never been to New York. My bet is there aren't a ton of outdoor ranges there huh?

I guess I was spoiled getting my first Saiga in Minnesota right after the ban ended. Straight to conversion.

Welcome to the forum RebelGirl!