What do you feed your Saiga 12?

Looking to stock up on some ammo for my Saiga 12 that should be in my possesion within the next week...just wondering what people here shot.

I was thinking target loads for just blasting around on the farm shooting at nothing in particular, for economy purposes. I have a decent amount of buckshot when I need more power, and I was thinking some slugs would extend the usable range of the weapon.

What has been your success with each type of load? Did it shoot slugs accurately? It would be nice if I could be decently accurate out to 100 yds w/ slugs...I just don't know what to expect since this will be my first S12.

for cheap stuff mine likes remington birdshot, you know the box of 100 for 20$ at walmart.

many people said they have had problems with the winchester cheap stuff not feeding right due to the crimp, so I havnt tried it. mine likes federal OK but not as well as the remington.

as for slugs, I can hit (ie at least some of the hole is inside) the red 4" circle in the center of my targets, pretty consistently at 50 yds. and I am not the best shot, and have a bead sight on a 16.5" barrel with fixed FH. Im sure most people can do better than that.

btw, make sure you clean the front portion of your gas system. the 12 ga uses a seperate piston to impinge on the carrier arm, not one single peice. coming from 7.62 I had no idea, and my piston cylinder had gotten quite dirty. keeping this clean will make your saiga much more reliable with lighter loads.

Edited by polik6887

My gun likes the remington nitro STS sporting clays or Nitro 27 depending on how long they've been on the raack.

and the Winchester AA sporting clay loads.

feeds them awesome on #1 setting.

winchester cheapo feeds fine

federal cheap feeds fine

Remy surshot heavy dove is a favorite of mine

remington game loads tan/green box feed fine

federal buckshot feeds good

winchester super X buck feeds awesome

winchester Hyper Steel 3" feeds ok

wolf feeds great

fasteel feeds ok but not too great jams once in a while

remington Law enforcement buck doesnt feed well

remington express long range bird shot doesnt feed well either

My gun shoots slugs great. At 50 yds aim like normal with bead slightly below target. I can keep 4 outta 5 rounds with 2 3 inches. At 100 yds I aim with the bead just covering target. Usually abouta 6 inch grouping with Remmy sluggers and wolf slugs.

Not a dedicated slug gun but can run with any other smooth bore.

• 4 weeks later...