COBRA RAIL is ready...

UPDATE:

Lots of people have been requesting a top rail that they could also see there aftermarket iron sights thru. I've got the Russian elevated FSB and custom rear sight on one of my S-12s and wanted the same so if I remove the optic I can still use the other sights without having to remove the rail.

Here's what I came up with...decided to post this here instead of in the Ultimak thread where people were asking about being able to see their irons with it mounted.

I've been working on a new, even lower profile rail that can be used with the Krebs and maybe the Russian elevated S-12 sights that Makc has for sale here on the forum. This one is with the Krebs Custom sights which I have grown quite fond of.

Still not quite finished, I need to mill a slot the length of the rail. This will only be a small slot thru the raised ribs and shouldn't compromise strength. As it is now the front sight pin is already visible. I just want a better view to allow for more elevation adjustment. This will work with either the old style vent rib guns or the pistol sights.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I wanted to go ahead and get this out there. I'll post some better ones when I'm done milling the slot along the top.

post-1293-1190212300_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190212313_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190212324_thumb.jpg

OK

New prototype pics as promised...

post-1293-1190390953_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391021_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391128_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391140_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391181_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391212_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190391230_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

You want some?

• 3 months later...
Very Nice, but I have to ask, is this part made in the USA? :lolol:

You're asking Cobra that???

He's most likely to reply that his parts are made in the CSA.

:lolol: ..... :lolol: ..... :lolol: ....... :haha: :

And rather than submit to shame,

To die we would prefer!

So cheer, cheer for that bonnie-blue flag

That bears a single star!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8MBIrqqzE...feature=related

Hey Cuz!

If You look at this pic...maybe it's just my dicked up eyes....but...

It looks like the screw could kinda be used as a front bead, and the rear has rabbit ears as a makeshift front, and rear sight.

Since I'd use it within 30yds easy, when I chop it down to 12"....sounds good enough for me.

post-1293-1186072758_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1186072733_thumb.jpg

DAMN!!!

I"M EXCITED!!!

I just want that exact type in the picture Cuz!!!

Ugh....I'm so impatient. Ugh....I want it mounted so I can be a Armchair Commando, and do some CQB, and clear my house......then have my wife call me a DORK!!!

LOL

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

OOO !!!!

Look at this !!!

That shit is low profile !!!!

And You can buy just the parts, or sight from them !!

Of couse...gotta figure out a front sight. But I bet I can use the ARMS mount of my broken laser, and make something!

sub16b_pic02.gif

mctar06.gif

I did some ghetto editing. Use the HK one as a front sight, and gring it down a bit. And use the #06 one, and remove the sling ring, as a rear!!!

And from the left the HK one could be used(maybe grind it down a bit if needed) use it as a front sight. Or grind it off. Have the flat mount left, and put a shotgun bead in it.

Awesome homemade idea I think!

Brownells has em too!

I'm crazy! I'm gonna do this. My dremel tool needs a wake up call anyway.

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100001922.jpg

post-1520-1201482853_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor
whats the difference between this rail and the ultimak?

To remove the rear sight.... you just tap it out one side?

it mounts in the rear sight, and in the threads where the front sight bead goes.

tap out the rear. Unscrew the front bead, and add this rail.

This is way better. The rail is exactly where sighting is meant to be on an AK. That whole rail area is perfect!

And doesn't cost Ultimak prices!

When I get mine done, I'll post for all to see.

Cobra 76 two is a great guy for helping those of us who don't want to butcher our weapon, but also not pay a fortune.

Options are nice!

Thanks Dodge, nice ghetto sighting idea ya got there. :smoke: Except it's not truly ghetto homeboy style unless you mount it on the side of a quad or tri rail...lol. But then you would really be able to clear your house and look like wesley sniper or something :lolol:

Seriously though...I do like that clip on rear peep. And is that FSB a krebs that fastens with a set screw behind the sight tower?

Actually Tim, that front fastener was just one that I had before a found another style with a rounded head. It did work as a makeshift front sight in combination with the original S-12 rib sight rear. I was thinking that it would be better if using my current setup with lower profile rounded screw head, and after installation, epoxy or solder a sight pin into the allen head on the screw. Then the rail would have built in sights when not being used for an optic mount.

Thanks Dodge, nice ghetto sighting idea ya got there. :smoke: Except it's not truly ghetto homeboy style unless you mount it on the side of a quad or tri rail...lol. But then you would really be able to clear your house and look like wesley sniper or something :lolol:

Seriously though...I do like that clip on rear peep. And is that FSB a krebs that fastens with a set screw behind the sight tower?

Actually Tim, that front fastener was just one that I had before a found another style with a rounded head. It did work as a makeshift front sight in combination with the original S-12 rib sight rear. I was thinking that it would be better if using my current setup with lower profile rounded screw head, and after installation, epoxy or solder a sight pin into the allen head on the screw. Then the rail would have built in sights when not being used for an optic mount.

Whatever You say Cuz!

All I wanna know is.....Can You make the rail/fittings like in the 2 photos I posted just above???

Because I'm in love with that!

Whatever You say Cuz!

All I wanna know is.....Can You make the rail/fittings like in the 2 photos I posted just above???

Because I'm in love with that!

Well Hell yeah cuzzzz! :devil:

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Uh, not to be a spoilsport-- but it looks like almost all Makc's Saiga-12 stuff is out of stock, and has been for as long as I can remember. It's a damn shame, too, because I really bad want one of the "Elevated Steel Front Sight with Muzzle Break for Saiga-12" listed a few items before the brake y'all pictured-- :cryss:

Edited by Ductapeman
Uh, not to be a spoilsport-- but it looks like almost all Makc's Saiga-12 stuff is out of stock, and has been for as long as I can remember. It's a damn shame, too, because I really bad want one of the "Elevated Steel Front Sight with Muzzle Break for Saiga-12" listed a few items before the brake y'all pictured-- :cryss:

Keep checking with Oleg@Rusmilitary.com

Or You can be sneaky.....

Go to eBay.

Under community.......find urals

He sells Ural Russian Motorcycle parts, and the occasional hard as hell to find parts. Ask me how I know?!?!? LOL

He won't sell on ebay. But ask a question on one of his bike part auctions. Then really ask about Saiga parts, and include your e-mail. If that doesn't work. PM me. And I'll call a friend of mine in Finland. He doesn't come here anymore because certain cheap asses didn't like the supply, and demand prices. But He's actually very reasonable.

Good Luck, and let me know. Bet I can get it. :devil:

Aaahhhhh Marko! I forgot about that dude! Got my first Russian 8 rdr from him.

Weird ain't it? How all it takes is for someone to come here and do people a big favor and they get run off by a bunch of shit heads. :killer:

Aaahhhhh Marko! I forgot about that dude! Got my first Russian 8 rdr from him.

Weird ain't it? How all it takes is for someone to come here and do people a big favor and they get run off by a bunch of shit heads. :killer:

And people wonder where all my cool shit comes from. I keep good ties with good people.

And I'm not a bandwagon sellout motherfucker for bullshit promises like some of the gullibles who fell for Russeller/Andrei.

A Goldplated Turd......is still a Turd.

But Oleg, Marko, and Urals, have been hooking me up with things no one here has seen.

How about a complete illustrated manual for AK-102/104/105 12" guns. This book is my favorite. It's written in cyrillic. But it's the manual for these shorties. Blue little leatherbound book.

I've never seen another. And I got a S-12 barrel extender.....haven't seen one of those yet either except in my bag.

Gotta keep connections. You never know when You can get something neat, or better Yet. Hook someone else up. Which is the number one reason I keep my Saigas. They are unique, and so are the owners.

OOO !!!!

Look at this !!!

That shit is low profile !!!!

And You can buy just the parts, or sight from them !!

Of couse...gotta figure out a front sight. But I bet I can use the ARMS mount of my broken laser, and make something!

sub16b_pic02.gif

mctar06.gif

I did some ghetto editing. Use the HK one as a front sight, and gring it down a bit. And use the #06 one, and remove the sling ring, as a rear!!!

And from the left the HK one could be used(maybe grind it down a bit if needed) use it as a front sight. Or grind it off. Have the flat mount left, and put a shotgun bead in it.

Awesome homemade idea I think!

Brownells has em too!

I'm crazy! I'm gonna do this. My dremel tool needs a wake up call anyway.

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100001922.jpg

Ok the MI "sights" you are about to make are pretty damn slick actually. I have the MI sling mount that you want to use as the front sight. It is pretty burly so it will be just fine and the "rear sight" looks even better.

Nice

IPSC_GUY

Don't wanna bug You while You're creating art Cuz.

But what do You think for my rail size-wise?

Seems like You have a few height options. And I can't help wondering if I'll end up regretful that I didn't go low enough.

I think you are gonna be diggin it on top of that S-12 K clone! :smoke:

If you want to see some pics of the different rail options I will email them to you as soon as I get my new blanks in. You decide then which one you like best and I'll make it out of that one. How's that?

• 3 weeks later...
Don't wanna bug You while You're creating art Cuz.

But what do You think for my rail size-wise?

Seems like You have a few height options. And I can't help wondering if I'll end up regretful that I didn't go low enough.

I think you are gonna be diggin it on top of that S-12 K clone! :smoke:

If you want to see some pics of the different rail options I will email them to you as soon as I get my new blanks in. You decide then which one you like best and I'll make it out of that one. How's that?

Sounds good! Thanks!