Hey guys,

i went to the range yesterday to shoot my "New" as of 1935 Mosin 91/30 Rifle. its got a pretty cherry stock.

my problem though is when i fire a round i find it hard to unlock and extract the bolt i lubed it up with some rem oil and it didn't help. it would extract non fired rounds fine. im using the cheap wrapped in paper ammo 20rnds for $3. do you think its my ammo? i theorize that the brass expands making it harder to unlock and extract the expended cartridge. does this happen to any y'all?

It's not the ammo. It's the dried cosmoline in the chamber. Clean it with a brass brush and acetone or some other cosmoline cutting liquid. CLP ain't gonna cut it.

Some guys have found they need to put their brass brush on their hand drill to get it all out . . . .

This is quite common among the Mosin-Nagant line.

Edited by nalioth

+1 been there

Use a drill with the cleaning rod and a .410 brass brush with a solvernt to clean it out. once you have fired a few rounds that cosmoline gets baked on. Unfired cases come out fine because all shells expand a little when fired to fit the chamber.

Coming from another view point....your numbers all match? I have a '46 M44 that the numbers don't and even after the chamber trick it still was sticky so I ended up grinding just a touch off the one part of the bolt.

Now before yall go and get freaked out i'm talking less than 1/32 of an inch. I'll try to post a pic this weekend when I get home of exactly where I took the stone to