Pin retainers

I got tired of paying $10 for a retainer plate that ain't worth .89 cents.

So I went to the hardware store and over paid for these babies (paid an exorbitant .89 cents each).

Trigger pin

retainers_627.JPG

Hammer pin

retainers_629.JPG

You can take your pivot pin to the hardware store and find a pin like this or a hairpin style pin (I prefer the type in the pix). These pins are about 3/4 inch in length (not sure of the 'official size' as there was no 'official box').

I like that too, the e-clips always seemed like a bad idea to me. $10 for the plate does suck, but I like the plate too.
I never said I didn't like the plate, but for building AKs and taking them to the range and fitting the FCG, the plate works well. After everything gets fitted and finished, the pins work fine.

I can't see paying $10 (or more) to have a plate in each of the AKs I'll build when the pins work the same and are much cheaper.

I wish I had seen this before I started converting my S12 this weekend! The retainer plate doesn't work "as is" and it requires some modifications to get the selector lever installed and to let the bolt carrier travel freely. This is a much better idea -- right up there with the plastic inserts in place of rivet heads!

Thanks for posting!!

Jim

• 1 month later...

here is my take on all the different retainer options.

First I tried to modify the original wire and ended up cutting it too short. Durn. Being desperate I bent up plastic covered paper clips and believe it or not that worked pretty good. I was able to shape them just right for each pin plus give something to grab with the pliers. But every time I opened my shotgun and saw pink plastic in it I decided I needed to do something more conventional. The naysayers said it wouldn't hold but they did.

Next I tried per another post 3/16 x 19/32 hair pin clips. They are kind of a pain to get on the pins but seems pretty secure. Well went to my first 3 gun competition and the clip popped off the trigger pin ending my fun. I was sure that sucker was there for life but it twernt. It may just be my luck and your mileage may vary but my trust was gone. Definitely the cheapest way to go.

After that failure I invoked my mantra "The time for foolishness has done passed" and decided to achieve peace of mind once and FOREVER as far as pins are concerned. The idea of an arm failing on me was not to my liking.

Next retainer plate aka shepherd's crook. Great for the rifle, just fits perfect and pops in and out easily. Definitely the no question peace of mind option. On the shotgun it will fit the pins but is off center on the safety lever slot enough you would have to enlarge the hole. Probably not true but to me that might introduce enough play that potentially it would not hold the pins in. The other thing I did not like on the shotgun is the rail is longer and you have to flex the retainer to get it in and out. I ended up breaking the hammer pin tab of the retainer. Yes probably because I am ham fisted but it is harder to get in and out on the shotgun. The other thing is you have to put the safety lever on last and initially I could not figure it out because the bolt hold open lever was in the way. The solution to that was to remove the spring from the BHO tab so that is could rotate out of the way and when the safety lever was in place just reconnect the spring. I really love this saiga forum for that tip. Plus 12 bucks for a sliver of metal seems excessive but it is a specialty part so whatever.

Last option is axis pin retaining wire. 3 bucks from dpharms. From pics I gather it is bulgarian design. Any way like everything else with the shotgun initial frustration. The rivet for the scope mount is in the way.The wire is too long and would hit the receiver by the hammer pin and not push in enough. After a lot of fiddling and bending I redesigned it to perfection for the saiga 12. See the photo and admire boys. Well it snapped into place perfectly and the pins seem pretty snuggly held. I hope this is the end of my pin saga for sure.

Picture of retainer plate, hair pins, retainer wire original and retainer wire ala my improvement.

med_gallery_5436_138_32318.jpg

'nalioth'

Hammer pin

retainers_629.JPG

I couldn't help but notice that the hammer seems kind of tilted in the photo. Instead of being at a 90 degree angle to the retaining pin it is more like 75 or 80.

Is this just an optical illusion or did you have the pin pulled or?

louielouie

'nalioth'

Hammer pin

Picture

I couldn't help but notice that the hammer seems kind of tilted in the photo. Instead of being at a 90 degree angle to the retaining pin it is more like 75 or 80.

Is this just an optical illusion or did you have the pin pulled or?

louielouie

It's an optical delusion :) The rifle runs just fine :)
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with e clips. I easily removed them from my Yugo build when I added the Com Bloc side rail and snapped them back into place after the rail was fastened. I used a flat screwdriver to install and remove the clips.

Edited by uzitiger

Damn! rocinante!

LOL! You mangled that bad boy didn't ya? :haha:

I prefer to use the other style 3 dollar retainer from DPH. (made by Tapco)

link... http://dpharms.com/ak47-fire-control-c-24.html

The "L" shaped one. It works basically just like the plate and is held in place by the selector. It takes a small bit of modding to work in the S-12 but works great. You can also go to the original tech section post and see a link to a thread I made about how to make your own retainers like these from the original factory retainer spring.

No e clips for me thanks. Too tiny to mess with and I like to keep my AKs a primp and proper as possible... :angel:

Here...I found the link...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11518

<EDIT>

Could a mod please do me FAVOR? cough..cough... :rolleyes:

I would like the last part of that post removed that shows the picture of the other spring laying against the side of my receiver upside down...that mis a little confuzzzling. :wacko:

thanx

Edited by Cobra 76 two
  • 2 months later...