Duckbill Choke?

So as not to highjack the other choke thread, I'll start a new one. Has anyone considered a duckbill choke for their Saiga-12? Interesting article follows. It would seem with the threaded barrell and a Tromix Shark Brake, PolyChoke and Duckbill choke you would have a complete set of kit for every eventuality. Probably never need it, but it was something neat to share.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...8US238%26sa%3DN

At TL 6, the manual repeating shotgun has completely replaced the break open shotgun for general sporting and combat use. Most break open guns are now high quality, embellished weapons used exclusively for sport. The paper cartridges introduced at TL 4 are supplanted by polymer cased shells that are cheaper and easier to manufacture, and less prone to damage from handling or the environment. Semi-automatic shotguns are now fairly common for sporting use, but are not considered reliable enough for combat or police use. A variation of the choke, the diverter, is introduced. This device resembles the bill of a terran aquatic avian fitted to the muzzle (so called 'duckbill chokes') and modifies the typical circular shot pattern into an ellipse, optimizing the shotgun pattern for combat.

The elliptical pattern is a cool idea, I think these were made for the SPAS-12 at one point so maybe you could modify one for use on an S-12. Personally, I'm a poor enough shot to where I need my pattern to be wide vertically as well as horizontally! :rolleyes:

The bit about the silent shotgun cartridge got my attention, though. Sounds like its based on the old Ruskie SP-4 ammo.

And I sure wish I could get my grubby paws on some 'o them SCMITR rounds. 500 meters? Holy hell! :eek:

The main reason I have chosen a shotgun as my main weapon platform is well illustrated in the link. The common downsides usually associated with SG's are:

1) Limited ammo capacity

2) Slow rate of fire

3) Slow to reload

4) Heavy recoil

5) Limited range

The Saiga 12 addresses the first four by design. Whats left is limited range. I am doing R&D now on a fin stabilized AP round that will extend effective range out beyond 150 yds. (I'm hoping for 200) There are slugs now that can shoot 3" groups at 75 yds. and can consistently hit COM on a standard target at 125 yds. While this is certainty not rifle MOA kind of accuracy, "combat" accuracy is usually more effected by the mental state of the shooter that the inherent accuracy of the weapon. You should be moving and using cover, thats a lot different than shooting bullseyes at the range, from a rest.

In addition, I have other designs that involve some of the ideas this link describes. This is the huge upside of SG's, versatility. Have a a couple of 10 rd mags with the anti-personnel multi-projectile rounds, and have some 5 rd mags with the AP's, gas, and HE rounds-as needed.

Besides, I live in the suburbs, realistically, I'm not going to have to make a 300 yd. shot on a zombie in SHTF situations.

This subject comes up from time to time.

Here's a couple of links to threads where it was discussed in detail.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=6226&hl=

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...ckbill&st=0

The second one is a good example of what the infamous McUzi was capable of when someone wasn't pissing in his cornflakes.