• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1911

The Flying Ashtray Guy

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

So as not to highjack the other choke thread, I'll start a new one. Has anyone considered a duckbill choke for their Saiga-12? Interesting article follows. It would seem with the threaded barrell and a Tromix Shark Brake, PolyChoke and Duckbill choke you would have a complete set of kit for every eventuality. Probably never need it, but it was something neat to share.

http://images.google...t...8US238&sa=N

At TL 6, the manual repeating shotgun has completely replaced the break open shotgun for general sporting and combat use. Most break open guns are now high quality, embellished weapons used exclusively for sport. The paper cartridges introduced at TL 4 are supplanted by polymer cased shells that are cheaper and easier to manufacture, and less prone to damage from handling or the environment. Semi-automatic shotguns are now fairly common for sporting use, but are not considered reliable enough for combat or police use. A variation of the choke, the diverter, is introduced. This device resembles the bill of a terran aquatic avian fitted to the muzzle (so called 'duckbill chokes') and modifies the typical circular shot pattern into an ellipse, optimizing the shotgun pattern for combat.
WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!
http://transsylvania...their-guns.html

Our Republic's Founders had it right. "To disarm the people is
the best and most effectual way to enslave them," warned George
Mason. Patrick Henry concurred, imploring future generations:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve
it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are
inevitably ruined.

#2 BobAsh

BobAsh

Memento Mori

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Interesting link there.
Posted Image
The Number One name in Saiga conversion

You can buy a lot of Form 1's for the price of a basic criminal defense. Roughly one or two tax stamps per hour for a competent criminal defense lawyer.

#3 Racer 27

Racer 27

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

What do the TL #'s stand for?
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark Professionals built the Titanic.
DO YOUR OWN CONVERSION!

Look here for how: http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=40886

#4 1911

The Flying Ashtray Guy

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

What do the TL #'s stand for?

Dunno, maybe Time Line?
WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!

inevitably ruined.

#5 lelandEOD

lelandEOD

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

The elliptical pattern is a cool idea, I think these were made for the SPAS-12 at one point so maybe you could modify one for use on an S-12. Personally, I'm a poor enough shot to where I need my pattern to be wide vertically as well as horizontally! :rolleyes:
The bit about the silent shotgun cartridge got my attention, though. Sounds like its based on the old Ruskie SP-4 ammo.
And I sure wish I could get my grubby paws on some 'o them SCMITR rounds. 500 meters? Holy hell! :eek:

#6 DistalRadius

DistalRadius

Director of Irradiation

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

Ahh, hell! I didn't realize Leland :bag: was still logged in when I wrote the above. Thats actually ME posting there and NOT LelandEOD. :bag: Sorry bout dat.
"Ah, the muddle-headed mysticism of the Left: Protecting yourself from attack is the same as attacking others. Jesus is Muhammad. Having no interest in race makes you a racist, so you should hate white people. Race, class, and gender are the only differences among people that matter. The Government is above the law, and once they have all the weapons then we shall have democracy. The Confederates are terrorists. Hitler wore pants- these guys wear pants. Ad Infinitum. Ad nauseum."
-My best friend

#7 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Super Moderator
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

I was rather captivated by the SILENT SHOTGUN SHELL deal... THAT was pretty clever!!! :up:

:smoke:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

The main reason I have chosen a shotgun as my main weapon platform is well illustrated in the link. The common downsides usually associated with SG's are:

1) Limited ammo capacity
2) Slow rate of fire
3) Slow to reload
4) Heavy recoil
5) Limited range

The Saiga 12 addresses the first four by design. Whats left is limited range. I am doing R&D now on a fin stabilized AP round that will extend effective range out beyond 150 yds. (I'm hoping for 200) There are slugs now that can shoot 3" groups at 75 yds. and can consistently hit COM on a standard target at 125 yds. While this is certainty not rifle MOA kind of accuracy, "combat" accuracy is usually more effected by the mental state of the shooter that the inherent accuracy of the weapon. You should be moving and using cover, thats a lot different than shooting bullseyes at the range, from a rest.
In addition, I have other designs that involve some of the ideas this link describes. This is the huge upside of SG's, versatility. Have a a couple of 10 rd mags with the anti-personnel multi-projectile rounds, and have some 5 rd mags with the AP's, gas, and HE rounds-as needed.

Besides, I live in the suburbs, realistically, I'm not going to have to make a 300 yd. shot on a zombie in SHTF situations.

#9 Azrial

Azrial

A Riddle, Wrapped in a Mystery, Inside an Enigma

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:26 AM

The duckbill choke is an idea that has come and gone many times over the years. Generally speaking, stringing is not a desirable feature in shotguns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - I stand with Arizona!

Proud Member of the Top 10 9 posters of all time!

IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY Azrial's comments are provided solely to reform, chastise, or replace existing opinions. Inasmuch, Azrial holds no title to said Azrial comments IF Azrial comments are used only for non-profitable thought enhancement. Any other use of Azrial comments are strictly forbidden without the expressed written permission of Azrial. In so obtaining said permission you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in binding contract. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you may not copy, repeat, modify, think, or in any way use Azrial comments. Once contracted, unless you acquired the Azrial comments on external media, you may make a single copy of the Azrial comments solely for archival purposes or rethinking of the Azrial comments in the same context that the Azrial comments were previously expressed. Azrial retains all right, title, and interest in and to the Azrial comments. All rights not granted are reserved by Azrial. THE LIMITED WARRANTY (IF ANY) INCLUDED IN THE APPLICABLE AZRIAL COMMENTS APPLIES TO THE AZRIAL COMMENTS PROVIDED THE AZRIAL COMMENTS HAVE BEEN LICENSED BY YOU WITHIN THE TERM OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY OF THE APPLICABLE AZRIAL COMMENTS IF APPLICABLE.

#10 Cobra's Custom LLC

Cobra's Custom LLC

Custom Parts and Parts Service

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,558 posts
  • Verified Business

• Company Name:

Cobra's Custom LLC

• Company Website:
    www.cobras-custom.com

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

This subject comes up from time to time.
Here's a couple of links to threads where it was discussed in detail.

http://forum.saiga-1...wtopic=6226&hl=

http://forum.saiga-1...o...ckbill&st=0

The second one is a good example of what the infamous McUzi was capable of when someone wasn't pissing in his cornflakes.
Posted Image

- Bolt & Carrier Mods and Polishing > http://www.Cobras-Custom.com <
Details on Cobra's Custom ReliabilitySystem >> http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/90388-new-ak-saiga-vepr-bolt-and-trigger-service-no-extra-waiting/
Our Sub Forum - COBRA'S CUSTOM LLC
IMPROVISE! ADAPT! OVERCOME!

#11 1911

The Flying Ashtray Guy

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

Cool! Thanks for your Search Ninja Skills Cobra.
WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!

inevitably ruined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users