2nd Saiga - .223 or .308?

if you're looking for extra punch at long range go for the .308.

The .223 has a nice flat trajectory but starts losing its penetrating power around 100 yards or so. The .308 is the one I believe most SWAT S/O teams train for, though they usually use the .223 for closer work, where the more powerful .308 brings the risk of overpenetration. Think about what you want in a weapon then plan accordingly.

Hope that helps.

I found the .223 boring after shooting the 308.

But it's hard to argue with the price issue. .308win is 36-80 cents/round.

For practice, it's more expensive. But in a SHTF situation I'll take the .308. You don't need as many rounds to finish the fight. Usually only one per target. And the .308 is proven to penetrate cover. The .223 probably won't at a decent range.

Bullshark, get the .308. It can be converted to a MBF for a total investment of about half the cost of a conventional MBF.

Edited by fossten
I found the .223 boring after shooting the 308.

But it's hard to argue with the price issue. .308win is 36-80 cents/round.

that's true too... a buddy has a CETME that wasn't built by the drunken monkeys... it actually works.. LOL

I advise choosing the 308 for the knock-down power---afterwards you may acquire a .223 weapon & ammo from the ground. However, do acquire a Saiga .223 secondly to enable use of any "free" .223. Yes,.308 prices are outrageous--give thought to "why" & borrow money to stockpile ammo rather than to purchase a newer year "blue mini-van". The lower recoil of the .223 is obviously much more "user friendly" for women & children,therefore, one should be available. The Saiga .223 is my choice for a semi-auto in this caliber,but you should possess at least a .308 cal. weapon even if not semi-auto. A projectile with long-range capability increases the ability to "pick & choose" your target. Research: SGT.YORK---from the rear to the front,30-06 bolt-action,1917 Enfield USA. Whatever weapons you possess, you need "long-range" capability & proficiency.

It depends what you want it for. For most social situations your 7.62 is the 223's equal or better with a variety of hi caps available for each. The 223 shoots much flatter than the 7.62 and about equal to the 308 within about 400 yards, beyond that the 308 is the long range gun.

I have three 308's and I'm thinking my next gun will be a 223 (unless CDNN somehow finds more $12 thermold mags for the x39). Seeing as you already started in the "middle" it's a tough decision. Bear in mind though that the 308 is more expensive all the way around. Mags are $50 a pop, ammo is more expensive (even if you reload) and the gun is more pricey to start with. Figure a conversion and 4 mags costing around $700, ouch, that's DPMS 308 territory. For $450 you could outfit a 223 with four mags and new furniture.

If you see deer in your future the 308 is the way to go, if you want a gun that's easy to shoot, totes a shit load of ammo around in four mags (140 rounds is plenty for even a long while - that's seven 308 hi caps worth of ammo), and is cheaper to feed then go 223. Both leave a damn big hole in anything inside 200 yards, just that the 308 leaves a damn big hole in anything inside 600 yards. Tough call...

It depends what you want it for. For most social situations your 7.62 is the 223's equal or better with a variety of hi caps available for each. The 223 shoots much flatter than the 7.62 and about equal to the 308 within about 400 yards, beyond that the 308 is the long range gun.

I have three 308's and I'm thinking my next gun will be a 223 (unless CDNN somehow finds more $12 thermold mags for the x39). Seeing as you already started in the "middle" it's a tough decision. Bear in mind though that the 308 is more expensive all the way around. Mags are $50 a pop, ammo is more expensive (even if you reload) and the gun is more pricey to start with. Figure a conversion and 4 mags costing around $700, ouch, that's DPMS 308 territory. For $450 you could outfit a 223 with four mags and new furniture.

If you see deer in your future the 308 is the way to go, if you want a gun that's easy to shoot, totes a shit load of ammo around in four mags (140 rounds is plenty for even a long while - that's seven 308 hi caps worth of ammo), and is cheaper to feed then go 223. Both leave a damn big hole in anything inside 200 yards, just that the 308 leaves a damn big hole in anything inside 600 yards. Tough call...

Damn, I so Torn on this one...cheaper .223, or the Real Deal w/ the .308. I think if I was gonna convert it I'd do the .223 (so much more ammo to shoot w/ a convertion) But Just to have an awesome powerhouse (I might even get the 20") for selective shooting w/ scope... the .308 ! ....Yes , Yes, I'm now leaning to the .308. Power is KING, I need Power. the .223 should be the #3 Saiga, if I ever get there. (maybe a conversion project) Gonna Order the .308 Saiga in 20" - I feel Like thats the best decision....I willl make a sniper rifle out of her....no conversion there either; just scope and go. (Long Range Kill)

Awesome - Thanks for all your help! See, it always helps to consult w/ the experts here before you make your decisions!

BS012

p.s. - well, I just checked.....New .308 20" Saiga is about $360. I'll just add a PSOP scope for ~ $170 for a Total of $530 - Then Ammo...$ 300.... so I'm at $850....Damn. That's the way it goes. But $850 is OK...Better Do It Now !

If I can't afford it...I'll just get what I can, then order the rest

Edited by BullShark012

it's funny, With me it was a toss up between the .223 and the 7.62 and I chose based on what I believed to be the more likely type of ammo I'd find OSP if I needed to restock after zombie day :rolleyes: silly, I know.

but it's nice that I don't pay a whole lot. .223s arent generally used for hunting like the .308 are they?

Well the 308 is the eaiser of the two to convert.

You don't have the extra trigger pin holes to weld up.

You also don't have to add a bullet guide or mod the magwell/trunnion.

Plus it solves the debate big n slow vs small n fast. Big n fast, perfect.

Plus it sounds like FBMG is finally going to start shipping some mags.

There are other good 223 AK's out there. You can get a new Arsenal or build a Yugo M95 from a kit.

Not many other 308 ak's around.

By the way, maybe you don't understand the power of the darkside.

You will buy both.

If you go for the 223, look at the 20" bbl rifles and see if any have magwell dimples.

Well the 308 is the eaiser of the two to convert.

You don't have the extra trigger pin holes to weld up.

You also don't have to add a bullet guide or mod the magwell/trunnion.

Plus it solves the debate big n slow vs small n fast. Big n fast, perfect.

Plus it sounds like FBMG is finally going to start shipping some mags.

Dang! He's almost got me convinced to get a 308! :haha:

Bill

When given the option of buying a Saiga initially, I picked a GP WASR 10. I got a gun right off the shelf that took hi-cap mags and had a pistol grip, threaded barrel etc for 100 bucks more than Saiga 7.62x39

That isn't to say the WASR didn't take a ton of work to get it working reliably. I had to replace the entire bolt carrier, piston and bolt assembly to make it work reliably. I also had to fix the trigger slap on it.

I picked up a S12 because I wanted a shot gun, it was then I realized just how awesome Saigas are.

I ended up getting a .308 because I wanted a rifle that shoots a 'real' round so to speak. The .308 was easier to convert than the S12 in some ways, not so much in others. Using a Tapco G2 trigger group I had to do some serious work on the hammer to get the gun to cycle correctly.

That said I love my WASR, my SKS and my S12 but the king of the collection is the .308

The S12 turns heads but the 308 makes people come over and go WTF is that and where can I get one when I'm at the range.

Trust me the .308 is the big boy gun. When it goes off you can feel it 5 feet away and it spits freaking 1 foot flames out the front. Barnaul is 7 bucks for a box of 20 .308 rounds, if you're looking for some thing cheap to practice with. Its not even twice as expensive as 7.62x39 or .223.

Besides its not like you're going to be shooting the .308 as much as you would a .223 or 7.62x39, unless you have some sort of death wish. The thing kicks like a mule even with a recoil buffer and recoil pad on it. Put 50 to 60 rounds through it quickly and you'll be well on your way to a sore shoulder.

I'd rather shoot my S12 all day than shoot the .308 if that tells you anything.

Edited by reoiv

You already have the 7.62x39mm for carbine purposes, now get a battle rifle that has some thump for higher penatration and more energy on targets. You will have your bases covered. Also the .308 does a good job on deer if you decide to use it in that way.

Then you can get the .223 later. :smoke:

Gonna Get Another Saiga, while I can...I have the 7.62 (I think best to start w/) But now I have to decide on the .223 or the .308 - any comments? or help on this?

BS012

DONT EVEN THINK ..... JUST GET BOTH OF THEM YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATTER....

Aloha Esteban

my results

308 makes you feel like a man

223 makes you feel like a robot

will post conversion pics soon...

Gonna Get Another Saiga, while I can...I have the 7.62 (I think best to start w/) But now I have to decide on the .223 or the .308 - any comments? or help on this?

BS012

DONT EVEN THINK ..... JUST GET BOTH OF THEM YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATTER....

Aloha Esteban

my results

308 makes you feel like a man

223 makes you feel like a robot

will post conversion pics soon...

Roger that, get both. Yeah .308 is pricey but 5.56 is very hard to come by, you know Iraq-------------I'll be glad when it is over so we can get decent ammo at decent prices again.

• 2 weeks later...

WoW!, Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning just a bit to the .223, due to ammo cost, etc....but ya'll make alot of sense. I'm going ahead and aquiring the .308, I think as my #2 Saiga. I know I won't reget it, and I can get the .223 in a couple more months if I still want to toy around with it.

Should I stay w/ the 16" carbine or opt for something way diff., 'Saiganov' like, the 20" w/ Skeleton stock and sniper scope (w/bi pod potential) ??

If your talking .308, my thoughts are get the 16" for blasting at the range, more noise, and a bigger fireball more people saying what in hell is that?.

The 22" more for serious aplications like hunting, self defense ect. One thing I like best with the longer barrel, is that the barrel could be shortened later to a length inbetween 16 and 22". Something I will add is that you might be surprised at how well the longer barreled version handles with a pistol grip.....better than I expected.

Edited to add: if you plan on using the iron sites, with a longer barrel you have a longer site radius.

Edited by cscharlie

For my money the 16incher is the better gun if I were to have only one 308. Given the relative accuracy of the saiga, the increased bullet velocity probably won't matter much. On the other hand, if you plan to keep it without a scope, the longer sight radius of the 20 in gun will help (with the addition of a peep sight setup). I found the stock 20 incher to be very much too forward balanced, but the stock 16 was a handy feeling gun. Both handle better once converted to a PG. Bottom line is you can't go wrong as there's not much difference between the two.