is the saiga 7.62 more accurate than arsenal

I had always been under the impression that the saiga was the most accurate ak (after the VEPR, Valmet, and Galil, with their extra heavy receivers). someone on another board seemed to think that the arsenal AK is more accurate, as well as the vector build.

where do you guys think the saiga stands against the competition? (in terms of accuracy only)

also, saiga's have milled receivers right? what is the thickness? (I have heard that AK receivers are usually 1mm or 1.6mm thick)

also, saiga's have milled receivers right? what is the thickness? (I have heard that AK receivers are usually 1mm or 1.6mm thick)

Nope, stamped.

Can't comment on the other part, never shot any AKs other than my S-308.

Acer

I had always been under the impression that the saiga was the most accurate ak (after the VEPR, Valmet, and Galil, with their extra heavy receivers). someone on another board seemed to think that the arsenal AK is more accurate, as well as the vector build.

where do you guys think the saiga stands against the competition? (in terms of accuracy only)

Very accurate! I just bought a Saiga 7.62 with a skeletonzied (Dragonov style) stock and love it! I took it to the range for the first time today, fired 80 rounds from standing position. After getting used to the rifle for the first 40 rounds, I was able to put 22 out of the last 40 in the red center ring on the target (about a 3 inch circle)!

Since I've never fired any type of AK before, I think this rifle has better accuracy than I'm capable of and certainly enough accuracy for any combat situation. I also ordered 2, 30 round magazines for it also.

Great rifle!

Very accurate! I just bought a Saiga 7.62 with a skeletonzied (Dragonov style) stock and love it! I took it to the range for the first time today, fired 80 rounds from standing position. After getting used to the rifle for the first 40 rounds, I was able to put 22 out of the last 40 in the red center ring on the target (about a 3 inch circle)!

Since I've never fired any type of AK before, I think this rifle has better accuracy than I'm capable of and certainly enough accuracy for any combat situation. I also ordered 2, 30 round magazines for it also.

Great rifle!

By the way, that was at 25 yards, standing with Wolf ammo.

The Saiga is probably the best built AK out today. On my first trip out to the range with my x39 (16" barrel), I put 50 rounds into a 4.5" space at 50 yards. At 100 yards with a rest I can shoot a 3" group. This is all with Wolf FMJ, which isn't the most consistant but it definitely goes bang every time.

I can't atest to how well an Arsenal shoots, since I've never shot one. That being said my Saiga even with the underfolder on beats my Romak hands down for accuracy.

I've heard good things about Arsenal though so I'm leary about posting a big thumbs up either way.

• 2 months later...

i've shot both.

an x39 and 223 arsenal.

shot it against my norinco mak90, saiga 308, saiga 223, and norinco sks.

i don't really think you get what you pay for from the arsenal as far as accuracy goes.

cosmetics and cool factor, yes. but accuracy, i don't think so.

i think my norinco is the most accurate ak i've ever fired with the exception of my par 223, but it's a pump.

i'd have to say that the arsenal is about as accurate as a saiga. my big thing is you can get 2 saigas for the price of one arsenal.

this is not the case of "you get what you pay for"

i only paid $200 for my norinco mak90 and it's my favorite of all my ak's!

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic AK & Accuracy. When weapons are made with more loose fitting tolerances, they will continue to fire in harsh conditions (weather, dirt, rain, snow...). As you increase the tolerances (tighten up the chamber and action), you will get more accuracy, but the reliability will suffer. The AK was designed as a battle rifle for the masses. The accuracy is ok (how many people really NEED the long range), but it will fire every time. Bolt action rifles hold the cartride in the exact same place every shot and don't move until the shot is over. Very accurage, but slow to chamber the next round.

I'm sorry to say that my Saiga is more accurate that I am. I need to get it out and shoot more. I do know that it will fire when I need it to and the shots will go where I am capable of putting them.

Last range trip, I took my trusty Marlin 39. That was my first rifle (got it when I was twelve) and it still fits great. Out to about 50 - 75 yards, I was taking down targets at really good speeds (even considering that you have to manually cycle the action with the lever). I had stacked up some old clay pigeons on the bank and they were popping left and right. My Saiga took about the same time between each shot (maybe a little longer) because the rifle moves off target with each shot and that little 22 is right there ready to go after each shot. And the real bonus, was that it only cost $3.00 to shoot the 22.

I ditched an SLR95 because it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn with he Cheetah ammo I was using only to find out that it was a bore diameter issue but here's my experience after having owned several of each.

The Saiga and the Arsenal have manrdel forged barrels and can offe surprising accuracy.

The Arsenal is better assembled(straighter sights,gas block,etc) the Saiga is more robust but lacks the fit and finish.

I will choose a Saiga everytime because I correct the warts and usually end up with an equal or better rifle for 1/3 the money.

If you just want to pay money to have a rifle buy the arsenal if you have some shop skills then buy 3 Saigas instead;)

i've shot both.

an x39 and 223 arsenal.

shot it against my norinco mak90, saiga 308, saiga 223, and norinco sks.

i don't really think you get what you pay for from the arsenal as far as accuracy goes.

cosmetics and cool factor, yes. but accuracy, i don't think so.

i think my norinco is the most accurate ak i've ever fired with the exception of my par 223, but it's a pump.

i'd have to say that the arsenal is about as accurate as a saiga. my big thing is you can get 2 saigas for the price of one arsenal.

this is not the case of "you get what you pay for"

i only paid $200 for my norinco mak90 and it's my favorite of all my ak's!

+1

Norinco's out shoot most AK's out there... The 308 Saiga is a bit better that the Arsenal...