Scope. Ideas?

OK.

I'm getting a 7.62x39 first, then a .308 later.

(the x39 is to appease the girlfriend goddesses. Why? She doesn't like the kick on my x54r Mosin and I told her that the next rifle I bought would be more fun to shoot... plus it's cheaper ammo....)

But I digress,

The point is: I'm looking for a scope (Weaver) that has solid construction, good 1/2-1/4 MOA clicks. No Dot reticle, small 1MOA dot is fine but i don't want a red-dot 3MOA scope. I think first focal means that when you zoom the reticle and mils on it get smaller or larger to compensate for the increased magnification? Or is that Second Focal? Anyway, I want a 3-9x scope. I Like the PSOP because it reminds me of the SVD in so many Shooter games, but I'm worried about the Hit & Miss quality I've read about. I don't need an illuminated reticle, I don't plan on shooting 300yrds at night.

The scope will be on a x39 first then on a .308 when I "upgrade" in a few months (yah, i've been saving up!) I want a Weaver scope because I can get weaver rail mounts like the UTG that sits on centerline.

OK the BIG question: WHAT scope manufacturers are Quality (Not Leupold quality, this isn't a tack-driver) and still economical? I'm looking in the $200 range for max price (give or take a few). Just list what manufacturers of scopes you'd trust, then I can go from there. My friend made the mistake of buying a $20 Walmart scope that has random 1/2-2" moa clicks.... I'm willing to spend more for a scope that will last me forever as long as i don't drop it down the stairs.

Thanks guys!

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html

8.5-25x 44mm !? At 100yrds It'd look like it was 4yrds out.... $180.00

Anyone know anything about Mueller? They look good.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT41650IGR.html

4-16x 50mm? I don't think 50mm would fit unless you use the high-rise mount right? what about 44mm?

$250 for that 4x16 (illuminated)

Edited by SaigaNoobie

Based on advice from other members here I purchased a Barska...can't think of the model off the top of my head. I also was able to purchase a saiga side rail mount for it. I haven't zeroed the scope on the weapon because I haven't found a sucker...I mean helper to work the butts while I shoot. I want to zero the optic at 300 yards.

Apparently we have NO one on the boards who knows anything about Rifle optics? :ded: I guess that's what you get when dealing with the cheapest/dirtiest rifles. :haha: No one uses optics they can't buy at Walmart :lolol:

IOR Valdada and eBay. A beautiful combination.

I am currently running a M2 on my S-.308 that's fixed 6x, 35 mm tube, and illuminated reticle with .308 drop compensation. Believe I picked it up in the box on eBay for about $300.00. It's amaxingly bright and holds rock-solid zero. It's also Eastern Bloc (Romania) so it's "appropriate".

It's on an IOR "Vepr" side-mount that is perfectly centered and as low as a scope can mount on a Saiga and still allow dustcover removal. It's a bulletproof combo.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Edited by guido2
Apparently we have NO one on the boards who knows anything about Rifle optics? :ded: I guess that's what you get when dealing with the cheapest/dirtiest rifles. :haha: No one uses optics they can't buy at Walmart :lolol:

IOR Valdada and eBay. A beautiful combination.

I am currently running a M2 on my S-.308 that's fixed 6x, 35 mm tube, and illuminated reticle with .308 drop compensation. Believe I picked it up in the box on eBay for about $300.00. It's amaxingly bright and holds rock-solid zero. It's also Eastern Bloc (Romania) so it's "appropriate".

It's on an IOR "Vepr" side-mount that is perfectly centered and as low as a scope can mount on a Saiga and still allow dustcover removal. It's a bulletproof combo.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

+1 on that. Spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle as a rule of thumb. I own a 10x42 mil dot IOR scope and for the money absolutely nothing compares in terms of clarity. The rest of the package is spot on too. If I were looking to scope a saiga in a quality manner, I'd go with the M2. If I were looking to do it on a budget I'd go with a 4x POSP. Save the 8x and higher magnification stuff for bolt guns, and even then it's unnecessary to hit a target reasonably well.

I'd stay away from the larger magnification POSP's as the mounting systems are essentially fixed and I've looked through some that are adjusted to darn near the top or bottom of their focal range to be sighted in at 100 yards. If you're lucky it will be toward the top of the scope, but if you're unlucky you own a piece of worthless surplus scopage. The IOR's typically sell for within $100 of what you paid for them used, thinking of a scope as an investment might seem strange, but they can be ebayed and are easy to sell if you need to raise cash.

And oh by the way, if you want our opinions on something don't go and call us a bunch of wally world consuming morons.

Stay away from the barska. If you want the best value in a scope under $200 get a bushnell 10x tactical 3200 fixed magnification. Best value under $400 is the aforementioned IOR M2. Best value under $800 has a larger field of choices, but for me it's the IOR 10x42. Over $1000, you might as well go overboard and get a smith and bender (more like $2500, but you will never go back). Look around the web and you'll see this opinion for values in price ranges pretty much confirmed. There are other good deals out there, but these are rock solid choices for their price ranges.

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html

8.5-25x 44mm !? At 100yrds It'd look like it was 4yrds out.... $180.00

Anyone know anything about Mueller? They look good.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT41650IGR.html

4-16x 50mm? I don't think 50mm would fit unless you use the high-rise mount right? what about 44mm?

$250 for that 4x16 (illuminated)

I have a Mueller scope on my Ruger 10/22. For a bargain price, the best scope you can buy. I would highly recommend it. Just make sure the one you get is rated for high velocity caliber weapons. Some are not.

I run Barska 3-12x50 Illuminated Scopes on both my AR and Mosin 91/30 with no problems, I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 on my VEPR on a cheap side mount and have had no problems with any of them. I also have a BSA red dot on another AR and WAL-Mart tasco on a 308 lever gun (only bought it because I needed a quick replacement) I haven't had a broblem with either of those either. The only optics I have had problems with so far have been another cheap 22 tasco on my 10/22 and a Barska ACOG looking thing (which from what I have read, so has everyone else (so I won't hold it against them))

Good Luck

-E

Norseman

:smoke:

I've got a Barska 6-20 x 50 on my .308 Saiga / Vepr clone, that's pretty good for what I payed for it @ $40 used. They have a lifetime warranty that I already took advantage of when the used scope had a problem with using the full range of magnification. It was stopping at 12x and wouldn't adjust up to 20x. I called them and they said no problem, even though I was the second owner they said ship it back to them. They sent me a brand new one. I like it alright, it could be brighter at the upper end of magnification, but hey, I've only got $50 in it total...

post-1293-1192893613_thumb.jpg

You do get what you pay for in optics. I just didn't have enough right after converting my rifle to get a really nice scope. One day....

Check out this link to one I read about in SGN. It looks pretty awesome. If it's as good as they claim then I want one.

http://outdoorhaven.com/

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a Barska 6-20 x 50 on my .308 Saiga / Vepr clone, that's pretty good for what I payed for it @ $40 used. They have a lifetime warranty that I already took advantage of when the used scope had a problem with using the full range of magnification. It was stopping at 12x and wouldn't adjust up to 20x. I called them and they said no problem, even though I was the second owner they said ship it back to them. They sent me a brand new one. I like it alright, it could be brighter at the upper end of magnification, but hey, I've only got $50 in it total...

post-1293-1192893613_thumb.jpg

You do get what you pay for in optics. I just didn't have enough right after converting my rifle to get a really nice scope. One day....

Check out this link to one I read about in SGN. It looks pretty awesome. If it's as good as they claim then I want one.

http://outdoorhaven.com/

I have the following optics, hundreds of rounds through weapons they are mounted on with zero issues.

Mueller 6-24x44 w/illuminated target dot (HBAR AR-15 varminter)

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 mildot (Armalite AR-30) I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 4200 or 3200 SERIES OF THESE SCOPES FOR THE MONEY!!!!

Hakko Super Sniper 10x (fixed)x42 (Armalite AR-50) Most impressive scope for $300.00

Leupold VX -I 3-9x40 long range duplex (Saiga .308) www.swfa.com Scope is listed at $239.95 with lifetime warranty