Hi guys,

So I've been looking at one of these for a while and just ordered one through my local shop for $650. :super:

Yes, it is not a parts kit build or some other knock off but the sporter VZ 58 imported from CZ. It should hopefully be here at the end of the week.

I like all the upgrades compared to an AK. I have also read a lot of postive feedback from both the forums and magazine articles like the recent combat arms issue.

When I was in my local shop ordering one this week I heard the first negative thing against the VZ 58 from a local gun smith who was picking some guns up to work on. He said they are very "finicky" both the guns and mags. I asked him what he meant by that and he said that there can be feed issues and some ammo doesn't run well through it.

Anybody else hear about or experience any of these problems?

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in my local shop ordering one this week I heard the first negative thing against the VZ 58 from a local gun smith who was picking some guns up to work on. He said they are very "finicky" both the guns and mags. I asked him what he meant by that and he said that there can be feed issues and some ammo doesn't run well through it.

That's the first I've ever heard of it. The Czech military has been using these since 1959 (they use them today). They've also been available in Canada for almost a decade.

I like mine. It is very reliable.

That's the first I've ever heard of it. The Czech military has been using these since 1959 (they use them today). They've also been available in Canada for almost a decade.

I like mine. It is very reliable.

Thank you for the feedback.

I know everyone has an opinion and was thinking that this gunsmith for whatever reason wasn't keen on them. But everything I've read has been positive including it's accuracy. There are some pretty sweet video's on youtube as well showing these rifles functioning well.

The only bummer is I have to get rid of some stuff so I can afford the VZ. My FFL is supposed to get his supply end of this week so hopefully by the weekend I can test her out. :rolleyes:

The VZ's came in yesterday.

One word - WOW! : :killer:

I now know why this topic is in the NON AK BASED section. When I took it out of the box, I noted the high quality fit and finish.

- Tough gray shinny paint.

- Sturdy feel with nothing shaking.

- Pulled back the bolt and saw the SKS stripper clip feed lips with the BHO.

- The rifle reminded me in many ways of the SKS which I like.

- Trigger was sharp and crisp on mine (unlike the SKS).

- Very light weight considering the sturdy construction.

- I like the Sporter stock with a natural point of aim.

I think the ONLY downside so far are the two see through polymer 10 round mags it came with. I need some larger cap mags.

If this rifle functions as well as I hear I could see this being my favorite gun.

I will post pics later this weekend.

Here is another page (sorry, it's non english) with pictures of the internal workings. You can see the dual recoil spring/guide setup, the striker assembly, the locking lugs, and a bunch more stuff there.

You can also see on this page, the Vz58s ability to reload using SKS stripper clips.

http://www.gun-world.net/czech/vz58/vz58.htm

Nice. I could read the Czech digram about half way down the page. All the Chinese is just Greek to me though.

• 2 weeks later...

the CZ58's have a great rep in Europe, but aren't wildly popular. (but neither are AKs for that matter, so you shouldn't be surprized)

anyway, you can get one here for 325 euros. either the folding stock or fixed stock version, with 4 magazines, the belt, bayo and cleaning kit.

it's pretty strange that for that price it's not very popular. as said, it's great quality.

Edited by SuA
  • 2 weeks later...

On several occasions I have been tempted to buy one. I just keep putting it off. They seem to have a number of excellent features and reported good quality. Alas, I'm about to the rifle acquisition saturation point. I think if many more new rifles walk in the door, the rifles, the Bassett Hound and I will all be sleeping in the garage.

Edited by WarriorJudge
On several occasions I have been tempted to buy one. I just keep putting it off. They seem to have a number of excellent features and reported good quality. Alas, I'm about to the rifle acquisition saturation point. I think if many more new rifles walk in the door, the rifles, the Bassett Hound and I will all be sleeping in the garage.

WJ,

Not trying to get you in trouble with your better half but this is my favorite rifle and deserves your consideration.

My wife too does not like my hobby. But I don't like refined hobbies like golf or wine tasting so I am stuck with my shooting addiction that gives me tons of fun. I think we need to buy what we want now because you never know if they will be banned tomorrow.

Nalioth and the others are right. These are simply awesome. Remember, the VZ was the only exception to the Soviet mandated AK 47 adoption. If you can get the most recent issue of combat arms there is a great article about these gems. :killer:

Super accurate, fit and finish better than almost any AK variant (although, the VZ is not an AK), nice crisp trigger, ability to use sks stripper clips from above, and built like a tank. They also have chromed barrels.

What about the wood furniture? How does it look and feel in person!

WJ

well, i dont know how they sell in the US, but it's wood-impregnated plastic as stock furniture out here. looks damn ugly irl imo.

What about the wood furniture? How does it look and feel in person!

WJ

I got one of each.

Wood impregnated - I think it is fine. IMO, it is far nicer than the Romy AK wood but not as nice as the VER 21 wood. It is very durable with a super solid feel and a glossy finish. One bad thing is the buttstock is a bit short. You can easily switch out the wood buttstock for the heavy duty folder.

The sporter stock is very comfortable. It comes with a recoil pad and a cheek pad. I like it better than the wood but of course that comes down to preference.

I have one of the hi-cap sporter versions. I bought a folding stock parts kit from Centerfiresystems.com, repainted the folding stock, and quickly and easily swapped out the sporter stock for the folding stock. I also painted the pistol grip from the parts kit and put it on. You could also cut the pistol grip out of the sporter stock and use it along with a folding stock. The gun is very compact, nice and light, and very high quality.

Edited by hogdog
Wood impregnated - I think it is fine.......

I think that it is some pretty ugly stuff and worst is created by forcing a tree to perform a completely unnatural act that no one should have to watch...

I wonder who makes that "Choate looking" side folding stock shown in the reliability video?

I took a look at one at the funshow last week and was impressed, despite the "plastic impregnated wood."

But two concerns. One the price is rather high, but I have the feeling it will go down. For the money I would rather have the Galil.

Two, the furniture, besides being "wood-impregnated plastic" is too small in the pistol grip area for my over-sized hands. Will any of the standard AK type furniture fit?

I am still interested in the "Choate looking" side folding stock shown in the reliability video if anyone has any leads on it.

But two concerns. One the price is rather high, but I have the feeling it will go down. For the money I would rather have the Galil.
If it was priced north of $825, you were being gouged.
Two, the furniture, besides being "wood-impregnated plastic" is too small in the pistol grip area for my over-sized hands. Will any of the standard AK type furniture fit?

Nothing will directly interchange from the Vz58 to the Kalashnikov but the cartridge it uses.

I just got an email from TheAKForum offering these rifles for $650. Just a heads up for the members of that forum that don't check their emails :D .

The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "The AK

Forum". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you

find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the

following address:

krinkfreak@krinkfreak.com

Include this full email (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Members,

We have already moved 80 of these rifles to our members. We are only

taking orders through this Friday, May 30 2008. It might be awhile

before we do this again.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic...asc&start=0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN Range has been able to secure a special purchase price on the Hi-cap

VZ 58 Sporters. These were manufactured in the Czech Republic. These

have the polymer 922r parts. Side Folder and Full Stock are the same

price. Each comes with a sling, 30rd mag, cleaning kit and CD manual.

This is a special purchase just for us. You will never see the hi-cap

rifles this cheap any where else.

These are 650.00 each plus 25.00 shipping and ins. to your dealer.

Contact me via PM with a phone number and Tom will call you back with

ordering details or call the shop at 865-932-6509.

I just got an email from TheAKForum offering these rifles for $650. Just a heads up for the members of that forum that don't check their emails :D .

That link didn't work last night for some reason when I tried it.

It appears theakforum is experience trouble atm (at the moment).

Bottom line: if you are a member of theakforum, $650 for a Czech made 922r satisfying rifles is a DAMNED GOOD BUY. These are the ones that accept standard military magazines.

Call Troy at InRange and have a chat with him.

http://www.inrangec2.com/

Edited by nalioth